Lock out is over - who gets resigned? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Pittsburgh Steelers

Old 25.07.2011, 06:44 PM
Starter

Default Lock out is over - who gets resigned?

Now that the lock out is over, the defensive contract dilemma is upon us.

Analysis I've read recently suggests that there's no way to accommodate new contracts for Ike, Woodley this year and Timmons next year

There are reports of Troy wanting a new contract so hopefully that could reduce the cap hit in the short term (the final year of his current contract looks colossal) but that won't clear enough.

Personally I think there's no way that Woodley or Timmons can be let go and building around a very solid front 7 is the way to go but that sadly leads to Ike T moving on and an uncertain season at corner.
Old 26.07.2011, 06:07 AM
Pro Bowler

Let's hope they can somehow get them all signed. Without Ike back there our secondary will get lit up by the Colts & Texans, to name but two, who we have to visit early in the campaign.

Timmons & Woodley will definitely get their deals - this franchise loves it's linebackers - so it will come down to what sort of offers will come Ike's way. Unless a team wants to offer silly money there's a chance he'll choose to stay with the Steelers - he's said to be close to the Rooney's.

If not we'll all look back to the draft again. Much as I like Heyward, I'll be watching closely that rookie CB who fell to the Giants - I said all along we should trade up & make him the "Pittsburgh Prince"
Old 26.07.2011, 08:39 AM
Starter

It was a hard call on the first round pick though, with all of the front 3 ageing that could have created a bigger problem down the line. If Ziggy can maintain his improved form of last year and Heyward pans out as hoped we should be looking good at DE after Smith and Keisel, but with a huge hole to fill in the middle.

I guess there's more depth at CB in the later rounds and a greater chance that one of a couple of later picks is a winner like Ike. I don't really follow the college game but I like what I've read about Allen since the draft, he could be a good pick but not likely to make an immediate impact.

Where does that leave us for starting CBs, McFadden and Lewis? with W.Gay in the slot (I cant see him starting again)?
Old 26.07.2011, 09:03 AM
All Pro

football is backkkkk! yahoo!

I consider Ike to be the most important re-signing, what we have got behind him, is either no good: G@y/McFadden/Lewis, or untested: Butler/Draft picks.

Without Ike, we'll struggle big time.
Old 26.07.2011, 12:02 PM
All Pro

Ike is the priority FA. Colbert should have been on the phone to him as soon as the cba was signed.

After that we need to get Woodley tied down to a long term deal to secure that position and free up some salary for this season.
Old 27.07.2011, 06:31 AM
All Pro

Yup. . .

http://m.post-gazette.com/sports/ste...taylor-1163210

great news.
Old 27.07.2011, 09:05 AM
Starter

Great news.

Its going to be an interesting week.
Old 27.07.2011, 09:31 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible Towel View Post
Great stuff was going to worry if we had no ike for next season as our secondary would be ripped to shreads in some important games. I dont also see what's wrong with trying to get another cornerback maybe of free agent.
Old 28.07.2011, 11:45 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersguy View Post
Great stuff was going to worry if we had no ike for next season as our secondary would be ripped to shreads in some important games. I dont also see what's wrong with trying to get another cornerback maybe of free agent.
If you look at the nineteen players we've signed you can almost read where players will be released. We need to build on the defensive line, it was a strongest rush defense in the league, we need to make sure we build on that.
Old 28.07.2011, 02:15 PM
Team Captain

And it appears that the cutting has started, Max Starks and Antwaan Randle El have been released.