Biggest Choke in Sports I've Ever Seen - Indy 500 Today - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 29.05.2011, 07:53 PM
Hall of Fame

Default Biggest Choke in Sports I've Ever Seen - Indy 500 Today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EGq_yKp2-A

No one in contention was pressuring him, he didn't have to pass that driver high right; he could have throttled back and coasted home. Unbelievable.
Old 29.05.2011, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

A rookie mistake that's happened before and will happen again.

Shows if nothing else, just how hard those things are to drive. I feel for the kid, big time. He'll never ever forget (or be allowed to forget) that as long as he lives.
Old 29.05.2011, 08:19 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
A rookie mistake that's happened before and will happen again.

Shows if nothing else, just how hard those things are to drive. I feel for the kid, big time. He'll never ever forget (or be allowed to forget) that as long as he lives.
As far as I know not like this which makes all the difference. One of the big 3 races in the world..."The Greatest Spectacle in Racing." I don't know, that's a huge stage to fail like that on the last turn. Rookie mistake but that's why in all sports so many chokes are rookie mistakes.
Old 29.05.2011, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyRoller10 View Post
As far as I know not like this which makes all the difference. One of the big 3 races in the world..."The Greatest Spectacle in Racing." I don't know, that's a huge stage to fail like that on the last turn. Rookie mistake but that's why in all sports so many chokes are rookie mistakes.
I don't think it makes much difference, losing it on the last turn is always a possibility whether you're at Indy or any other oval. Happened to bigger names in the past.
It's blown up by the media as a 'choke' but stuff like this can just as easily happen on lap 1 as on lap 200, and on any week of the racing calender.

I recall Schumacher making a doofus mistake in a Ferrari at Monaco, the biggest stage of the F1 calender, with the most famous driver driving for the biggest team. It wasn't a choke, just one of those things that happen.
Old 29.05.2011, 09:52 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver;1358280[B
]I don't think it makes much difference, losing it on the last turn is always a possibility whether you're at Indy or any other oval. Happened to bigger names in the past.
It's blown up by the media as a 'choke' but stuff like this can just as easily happen on lap 1 as on lap 200, and on any week of the racing calender.

I recall Schumacher making a doofus mistake in a Ferrari at Monaco, the biggest stage of the F1 calender, with the most famous driver driving for the biggest team. It wasn't a choke, just one of those things that happen.
To me it does; the stage it's on is everything. Greg Norman's choke was huge because it was at the Masters; Jean Van de Velde's choke mattered because it was at the British Open; Super Bowl, World Series...a missed PK in the World Cup. The stage it's on defines it because the stage causes the pressure - it's not a big deal if it's a crash in some random race at Laguna Seca.
Old 29.05.2011, 10:46 PM
Hall of Fame

How about the 18-0 Patriots choking in the Superbowl??
Old 30.05.2011, 08:56 AM
Hall of Fame

as much as i feel for the guy, he only has himself to blame, his team, (whom fired the winner last year ) should of been on the radoi warning him not to try the overtake.

i thought he's a bit wide on the last turn and then boom, dan wheldon becomes a two time winner.
Old 30.05.2011, 05:06 PM
Starter

horrible mistake... I was stunned watching it (Indy 500 is about the only race I watch in a given year anymore, as much as I used to like watching racing)

sort of funny/ironic/sad that on Memorial Day Weekend both of the National Guard sponsored racing teams lost in the last turn of the last lap yesterday (Indy 500 and Earnhardt Jr. ran out of gas in the last lap of the redneck rally race)
Old 30.05.2011, 05:14 PM
Banned

Sorry to say, but this is the biggest choke in sports ever and i have hated the culprit's gut's ever since.

http://youtu.be/vRn5b4BJyiI
Old 30.05.2011, 08:57 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG-1 RULES View Post
Sorry to say, but this is the biggest choke in sports ever and i have hated the culprit's gut's ever since.

http://youtu.be/vRn5b4BJyiI
This was a bigger choke...he hadn't missed in two years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-3DD...eature=related

Randy Moss - the missing ring.