Champions League Thread - Page 178 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 26.05.2019, 04:27 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
I see Utd are playing Bayern today in a 'Legends' game to celebrate their '99 Treble.

WHY ON EARTH HAVE BAYERN AGREED TO THAT?! Not sure what the rest of their team looks like but apparently Matthaus, Stefan Effenberg, Ivica Olic and Ze Roberto are amongst the Bayern line up.

Bayern should've laughed at the very suggestion of this game. 'Celebrating' a defeat. Ha.

(unless it's raising money for charity, then i'll give them a pass. Still, bit of a slap in the face for Bayern)

who doesnt want to remember one of the worst moments of there lives, in front of everyone who loved it.

(poor Michael Gray )

i would guess charity was involved but looking at the score they might of wished they had skipped it.
Old 26.05.2019, 06:12 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
I see Utd are playing Bayern today in a 'Legends' game to celebrate their '99 Treble.

WHY ON EARTH HAVE BAYERN AGREED TO THAT?! Not sure what the rest of their team looks like but apparently Matthaus, Stefan Effenberg, Ivica Olic and Ze Roberto are amongst the Bayern line up.

Bayern should've laughed at the very suggestion of this game. 'Celebrating' a defeat. Ha.

(unless it's raising money for charity, then i'll give them a pass. Still, bit of a slap in the face for Bayern)
since its also the 30th anniversary of Arsenal going to Liverpool and winning the old first division why are they not playing a charity game.

United "milking" one of there worst games where they where outplayed but got lucky right at the end.
Old 26.05.2019, 08:45 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
since its also the 30th anniversary of Arsenal going to Liverpool and winning the old first division why are they not playing a charity game.

United "milking" one of there worst games where they where outplayed but got lucky right at the end.
I see Sky Sports are running 'Live Text' of both those games tonight.
Old 27.05.2019, 02:26 AM
GOAT

Quote:

yeah why would anyone want to remember winning the Champions League and a Treble

weird use of the term lucky, games last until the final whistle and if you dont take your chances while on top you often get punished. if they had been given a soft pen or it was an og, they would of been lucky.
late goals and luck arent the same thing.

(you could argue luck in that Bayern failed to score again despite good chances but you state the luck was right at the end.)

for me, it was a team that just kept going and it paid off.

the line that sticks with me and i guess most is 'name on the trophy' and i guess Bayern let there minds drift there too.
Old 27.05.2019, 06:33 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
yeah why would anyone want to remember winning the Champions League and a Treble

weird use of the term lucky, games last until the final whistle and if you dont take your chances while on top you often get punished. if they had been given a soft pen or it was an og, they would of been lucky.
late goals and luck arent the same thing.

(you could argue luck in that Bayern failed to score again despite good chances but you state the luck was right at the end.)

for me, it was a team that just kept going and it paid off.

the line that sticks with me and i guess most is 'name on the trophy' and i guess Bayern let there minds drift there too.
just seemed strange,maybe I missed the 10 year anniversary stuff or maybe after the season they had they just had to find someway to get the fans excited.

lucky united that season included a last day win against Spurs to win the title
Bergkamp missing a penalty that would have knocked them out the FA Cup
Bayern scoring early then missing so many chances and United in the end just throwing all there strikers on.

guess sometimes everybody needs some luck.
Old 27.05.2019, 07:36 PM
GOAT

Quote:
just seemed strange,maybe I missed the 10 year anniversary stuff or maybe after the season they had they just had to find someway to get the fans excited.

lucky united that season included a last day win against Spurs to win the title
Bergkamp missing a penalty that would have knocked them out the FA Cup
Bayern scoring early then missing so many chances and United in the end just throwing all there strikers on.

guess sometimes everybody needs some luck.

so i did address the part on luck

how was it lucky that they beat Spurs?
he didnt miss, it was saved, the thing with using a term like luck, is it would of been unlucky to lose to a late penalty.

(also i believe they had a winning goal wrongly ruled out in the 1st game.)

Bayern not taking there chances was lucky but making good subs isnt.

teams do need luck but they were missing Keane and Scholes in the final, the big deflected goal in Turin, come to mind.
Old 01.06.2019, 06:44 PM
Hall of Fame

just hope we don't get screwed by VAR tonight.

#to dare is to do.............
Old 01.06.2019, 07:53 PM
Hall of Fame

Son Eriksen Alli,this is the champions league final.maybe you might want to show up in the 2nd half as this is it we may never get back here.
Old 01.06.2019, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Spurs haven’t got going, and Liverpool haven’t been much better. No real sympathy for Sissoko, shouldn’t have had his arm out that far...
Old 01.06.2019, 09:04 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Spurs haven’t got going, and Liverpool haven’t been much better. No real sympathy for Sissoko, shouldn’t have had his arm out that far...
Spurs just seemed happy to knock the ball around at the back and by the time we tried to push on there was no space and no one was able to beat a man or create a really good chance.

Sissoko had his arm out which is a penalty these days even though it may have hit his chest first but to give a better team a lead after 1 minute isn't the way to start and in the end we just ended up settling for 25 yarders at a great goal keeper.great run to the final but the usual result with another season with no silver ware.