NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 16.05.2013, 04:57 PM
All Pro

Sadly (IMO) they won't be able to use the name of the cigarette company
to rebrand the team.

Sigh.......... those were the days.

I remember when the British Grand Prix was at Brands Hatch and stunningly
beautiful girls would wander around te paddock giving out free packs of tabs.
Full strength as well, none of that "light" nonsense!!

Last edited by mattchew; 16.05.2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10.06.2013, 02:55 PM
All Pro

Incredibly sad news that a Marshall was killed at yesterday's race. Casts a shadow on what was another excellent weekend in Canada for formula 1. Hopefully Bernie doesn't cave to the wishes of corporate sponsors and celebrities for a posher bar and remove one of the best weekends from the calendar.
Old 11.06.2013, 12:14 AM
All Pro

Agree with all the above, was shocked to hear about the Marshall this morning after watching the race yesterday.

Even though Vettel walked the race, it was great to see drivers pushing hard and not complaining about tyres the whole time. I'd rather see Vettel lap the field whilst driving hard than someone win by a smaller margin, cruising round saving tyres.

Canada is also one of my favourite tracks. It consistently produces good racing and provides a challenge for the drivers year after year. The drivers and fans alike seem to love it and it would be a real shame to see it drop from the calendar.

Unfortunately though, with Bernie intent on adding more and more races (he's already planning a Russian GP and a second US race for next season, along with rumours about future races in Mexico, return to France etc), there's only so much room and some races may well have to be sacrificed. Hopefully Canada isn't one of them.
Old 14.06.2013, 09:56 AM
All Pro

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227...o-tyre-changes

Pirelli have decided not too change tyres after all because the teams couldn't all agree. I'm glad they haven't just because RBR cant figure them out but Lotus, Force India and Ferrari can, cannot wait for the tears from Horner and Vettel.

Also does this get Merc off the hook, how can they be punished for testing tyres that will not even be used?
Old 14.06.2013, 12:09 PM
All Pro

I thought that Mercedes were accused of testing the current tyres, there doesn't
seem to be much point in it otherwise.
Old 14.06.2013, 12:42 PM
All Pro

Mercedes were actually testing tyres that could be used in 2014. The tyres that were going to be brought were somewhere between the 2014 and the 2013 start of season tyre
Old 14.06.2013, 08:41 PM
All Pro

Mercedes are guilty i dont think there is any doubt about that its just what punishment will the FIA dish out or what punishment Bernie will allow. I dont think they will be banned for the rest of the season or any longer ban i think it will be more along the lines of a heavy fine and some points docked.

I also dont think that Canada will be one of the tracks that gets cut, everyone talks about how good the race weekend is and how much people enjoy the experience and the fact that stands are packed regardless of weather means its a winner. I would love for them to get rid of Barcelona, its an awful circuit that doesnt provide and overtaking or excitement.
Old 14.06.2013, 08:56 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Steeler View Post
Mercedes are guilty i dont think there is any doubt about that its just what punishment will the FIA dish out or what punishment Bernie will allow. I dont think they will be banned for the rest of the season or any longer ban i think it will be more along the lines of a heavy fine and some points docked.

I also dont think that Canada will be one of the tracks that gets cut, everyone talks about how good the race weekend is and how much people enjoy the experience and the fact that stands are packed regardless of weather means its a winner. I would love for them to get rid of Barcelona, its an awful circuit that doesnt provide and overtaking or excitement.
Valencia > Barcelona. Teams just have too much experince and running data on the place they already have a set up for heavy fuel and quali before they even get there.

Russia and the second USA race are guaranteed, infact iifc the usa gp was meant to happen like this weekend i think.

I'd rather they eliminate poorer tracks and races.

Cataluyna, is one of those i would get rid of.

sad thing is i cant think of any other i get rid of right now.

Melbourne i'd keep, Sepang ditto. China and bahrain, The tracks are good but the racing is has been good, just off track stuff lets the races down.

Monaco stays whatever.

Canada has to stay period.

Spain id swap for valencia. heck even jerez.

Silverstone stays as well.

Germany i'd keep both if possible.

Hungary dont produce the best race, but it is very well supported and is well liked.

Spa and monza. yeah moving on...

Singapore, read the last sentence.

Korea: Now the track is excellent, the racing hasn't been the worse, remembering 2010, but not the other two, they need fan support. This could be the second one i could think of that could be in trouble ish...

Suzuka. In same boat as silverstone, melbourne, sepang, monaco, canada, germany, spa monza and singapore. as long as they can do the race, they got it.

India: as of right now, it is one of tilke's best tracks.

Abu Dhabi: i like the track, and the day night feature, but i cant tell you if its well supported. i would hazard a guess to say this event isnt in trouble.

Austin: This stays for a while yet.

Interlagos: Decent track, weather is its biggest factor. and its well supported.

So as of right now, Korea is probably in the worst spot for events. Barca will always have teams backing it i feel, despite what i think
Old 14.06.2013, 09:14 PM
All Pro

The main problem with the Mercedes test aside from the secrecy is that they chose to use their 2013 car and current race drivers which is against regulations. Ferrari apparently took part in a similar test earlier in the year, but used a 2011 car and their test driver, Pedro de la Rosa.

Even if you don't know what tyres you're testing, every time a team tests or races their current car, they gain useful information about all sorts of things, not just tyres.

It comes down to two things for me:
1) Were Pirelli told they had to invite other teams as well?
2) Did Mercedes have 100% concrete permission from the FIA to take part?

Mercedes are adamant they had permission to do the test from the FIA, and I'm inclined to believe they have some kind of proof, it's just how substantial it is and whether it's enough to satisfy the tribunal.

Everyone's hammering Mercedes, but Pirelli are the ones who have made a real mess of things in my opinion; producing substandard tyres and then arranging secret tests to try and improve them, which the teams have now said no to anyway. Mercedes are in the wrong for using this year's car and drivers, but Pirelli should bear the brunt of any punishment in my opinion.
Old 15.06.2013, 11:53 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksgtmason View Post
Valencia > Barcelona. Teams just have too much experince and running data on the place they already have a set up for heavy fuel and quali before they even get there.

Russia and the second USA race are guaranteed, infact iifc the usa gp was meant to happen like this weekend i think.

I'd rather they eliminate poorer tracks and races.

Cataluyna, is one of those i would get rid of.

sad thing is i cant think of any other i get rid of right now.

Melbourne i'd keep, Sepang ditto. China and bahrain, The tracks are good but the racing is has been good, just off track stuff lets the races down.

Monaco stays whatever.

Canada has to stay period.

Spain id swap for valencia. heck even jerez.

Silverstone stays as well.

Germany i'd keep both if possible.

Hungary dont produce the best race, but it is very well supported and is well liked.

Spa and monza. yeah moving on...

Singapore, read the last sentence.

Korea: Now the track is excellent, the racing hasn't been the worse, remembering 2010, but not the other two, they need fan support. This could be the second one i could think of that could be in trouble ish...

Suzuka. In same boat as silverstone, melbourne, sepang, monaco, canada, germany, spa monza and singapore. as long as they can do the race, they got it.

India: as of right now, it is one of tilke's best tracks.

Abu Dhabi: i like the track, and the day night feature, but i cant tell you if its well supported. i would hazard a guess to say this event isnt in trouble.

Austin: This stays for a while yet.

Interlagos: Decent track, weather is its biggest factor. and its well supported.

So as of right now, Korea is probably in the worst spot for events. Barca will always have teams backing it i feel, despite what i think
I think its right they decided to scrap the "European" race as theres nor real need for it but i would use Valencia as the Spanish Grand prix and dump Barcelona.

I look at Hungary as a possible casualty as the circuit is very poor and qualifying position is too important as there is little to no overtaking. They big point Hungary used to have was that fans from the Eastern block would travel to Hungary as that was their closest track but with Russia getting the nod i wonder if that would change that stance although unlikley. I also think i remember that Hungary recently signed a long term race agreement with Bernie so i doubt they would drop it in the end.

I agree with everything else you stated about each race.