Formula One thread (2013 season onwards) - Page 5 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 24.03.2013, 01:32 PM
All Pro

What a great race that had everything. From catastrophic error from Ferrari in not calling in Alonso - who eventually retired - to pit stop drama with the Force India's - both of whom retired - then to Button who was running well in 5th and possibly could have challenged the Merc's before losing considerable time in the pits and eventually finishing outside the points.

Nice to see McLaren making some steps forward this weekend, and nice to see Checo get his first points since being announced as a McLaren driver back in 2012 in Singapore. Super drive by Hamilton and Rosberg too and by Jules Bianchi in the Marussia who is fast making a name for himself finishing in an excellent 13th position.

However, I must say I feel extremely sorry for Webber who drove a brilliant race and was denied victory in harsh circumstances. We are so accustomed to seeing him have poor starts but it was exactly the opposite. We all know Vettel has preferential treatment at Red Bull but going on the radio and saying "get him out of the way, Mark is too slow" is ridiculous and what ensued is an embarrassment for Christian Horner who then had to face the media afterwards!!

Vettel acknowledged he made a mistake but it leaves a lot unanswered. They were not exactly best of friends anyway, Vettel acted like a petulant child but at least he admitted he was wrong. For Mark though, that is likely the final straw for him at Red Bull. Seeing your teammate win three championships is hard enough, but this is hard to take given he was reassured several times that Sebastian wouldn't push after he turned his engines down expecting to coast to a well earned victory. What Vettel did has been done in the past, Webber did something similar in 2011 but its not just the overtake, its more the arrogant, forceful demands that he sent over team radio that is probably the worse part. Mark summed it up though when talking to Natalie Pinkham: "I should probably stop talking now".

It should all blow over, and I guess for the RB team its a good job that we have a three week break before we head to Shanghai...

Aside from that was a cracking race. More encouragement for McLaren, solid drives for the Mercedes guys, Sauber and Toro Rosso picking up points, more concern for Williams and for the exhaust on Ricciardo's car, and the Lotus' weren't quite where they wanted to be but were still solid.

Onto China we go.. I can't wait!!!
Old 24.03.2013, 02:02 PM
All Pro

Fantastic race.

I also have no problem with what Vettel did, its called Motor Racing after all and he wanted to win and he had the means to do it so he has no reason to apologise for what he did. Is Webber complaining that he win the race under team orders where does the pride come from that the race is 58 laps long not 40 odd. Its why Vettel is a 3 times world champion and Webber will never be one. I would also say the Radio broadcasts were partly out of fustration at being forced to sit behind Webber and not attack but i think in a way at least he was warning the team that he wasnt happy at being forced to bide his time especially with Hamilton and Rosberg close behind him. One final point about Webber he knows hes a second driver at the team but why did he sign a new contract at the team if he wasnt happy with playing second fiddle behind Vettel, he knows the game by now so why does he feel a need to moan about it.

I do feel sorry for Di Resta, Sutil and Button though bad pit stops cost them any chance of points from the race as i thought all of them had raced well over the weekend.

Jules Bianchi is quickly showing he could race for a better team and has a bright future in the sport and almost makes you wonder why no other team were willing to give him a go and thats brings me onto Max Chilton who looks so far of the pace and not competitive that you wonder how long hes going to be around.
Old 24.03.2013, 02:10 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Steeler View Post
I would also say the Radio broadcasts were partly out of fustration at being forced to sit behind Webber and not attack but i think in a way at least he was warning the team that he wasnt happy at being forced to bide his time especially with Hamilton and Rosberg close behind him.
Yeah but Mercedes had told Hamilton and Rosberg at that point to ease off and stay as you are so there was no threat from behind at that point. Vettel (no matter how much he protests) would have had some idea of the teams strategy, after all it was Horner who said "protect the tires" and "see the cars home". He wanted the glory and went for it, and though there is nothing against it in the rule book it shows a clear lack of respect for his more experienced team mate in Webber, as did his childish request to get Mark out of the way.

I think it was frustration based but still there is no justifying it. I agree Mark could have walked and will know as he said afterwards that "Seb gets protection" and rightly or wrongly that is the way it is.

As for Max Chilton, its early days, race two of his first season. He admitted that he didn't enjoy the circuit as it didn't quite suit the car's set-up. He is an excellent driver and is serving his apprenticeship for a team that is consistently ahead of Caterham and is pushing the Toro Rosso's and Williams - particularly earlier in the week. Its no surprise with Bianchi that he is out performing him. Bianchi has had a year of testing with Force India, and was on the books with Ferrari. In fact he came very close to taking the second seat with Force India in the off-season before Sutil did.
Old 24.03.2013, 02:16 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1b View Post
Great race, I think what Mercedes did was fine provided that they do the same the other way round. Great drives by Rosberg and Hamilton and Button.
Fair play to Lewis. I know he is good friends with Nico from their carting days but to admit "Nico should be the one standing up here. He was consistently faster and he is a great team-mate" was a nice touch - even if it is easier to admit that when you have just secured a podium.
Old 24.03.2013, 02:44 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt NFL Fan View Post
Yeah but Mercedes had told Hamilton and Rosberg at that point to ease off and stay as you are so there was no threat from behind at that point. Vettel (no matter how much he protests) would have had some idea of the teams strategy, after all it was Horner who said "protect the tires" and "see the cars home". He wanted the glory and went for it, and though there is nothing against it in the rule book it shows a clear lack of respect for his more experienced team mate in Webber, as did his childish request to get Mark out of the way.

I think it was frustration based but still there is no justifying it. I agree Mark could have walked and will know as he said afterwards that "Seb gets protection" and rightly or wrongly that is the way it is.

As for Max Chilton, its early days, race two of his first season. He admitted that he didn't enjoy the circuit as it didn't quite suit the car's set-up. He is an excellent driver and is serving his apprenticeship for a team that is consistently ahead of Caterham and is pushing the Toro Rosso's and Williams - particularly earlier in the week. Its no surprise with Bianchi that he is out performing him. Bianchi has had a year of testing with Force India, and was on the books with Ferrari. In fact he came very close to taking the second seat with Force India in the off-season before Sutil did.
I didnt think the radio messages were childish at all as at that time Webber was holding Vettel up and he was asking or demanding that he be allowed to overtake Webber nothing wrong with that for me. I also know that Vettel would of been fully aware of the teams request to keep position but Vettels a winner and a racer he doesnt care about making friends or who he annoys he wants to win races and championships and while he is able to do that the team wont ride him to hard about it.

Chilton for me is under performing in that car and was like that throughout the entire race and was trailing in last place by by 4 or 5 seconds. I do agree this is his apprenticeship that hes going through but Bianchis performances and the praises that hes getting is only making his place and situation look worse.
Old 24.03.2013, 03:31 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Chilton for me is under performing in that car and was like that throughout the entire race and was trailing in last place by by 4 or 5 seconds. I do agree this is his apprenticeship that hes going through but Bianchis performances and the praises that hes getting is only making his place and situation look worse.
Im not so sure, its early days. Chilton has been struggling since FP2 on Friday. He had a solid race in Australia and in FP1 was doing ok. From that point onwards the team struggled to adapt and couldn't find the right set-up and had problems with downforce.

Im sure he will close the gap eventually.
Old 24.03.2013, 08:16 PM
All Pro

The radios are hilarious. They should make them publically monitored in other sports (e.g. cycling road race). Having three drivers on the podium who were either

a) hacked off
b) sheepish

would suggest that the team rules overriding drivers isn't the ideal solution from a racing perspective. Makes for some laughs though. There is no way the Nico / Hamilton friendship lasts past the half season, they are too evenly matched.
Old 24.03.2013, 10:42 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Fantastic race.

I also have no problem with what Vettel did, its called Motor Racing after all and he wanted to win and he had the means to do it so he has no reason to apologise for what he did.
but its not really racing when two team mates have been told to turn there engines down and go to the end.

its not like he was down to let someone pass or its a key race at the end of the season.
Old 25.03.2013, 02:38 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
but its not really racing when two team mates have been told to turn there engines down and go to the end.

its not like he was down to let someone pass or its a key race at the end of the season.
I consider a race to be the full distance of 58 laps and not the 40 odd that Webber and the team thought.

If Red Bull had allowed Vettel to have a go at Webber during the middle stint this would never of happened but even though Vettel was faster they told him to stay behind Webber even though it compromised Vettel overall speed.
Old 25.03.2013, 04:43 PM
All Pro

Quote:
I consider a race to be the full distance of 58 laps and not the 40 odd that Webber and the team thought.

If Red Bull had allowed Vettel to have a go at Webber during the middle stint this would never of happened but even though Vettel was faster they told him to stay behind Webber even though it compromised Vettel overall speed.
I agree with that. If they insist on "whoever is leading after the last pits stop wins" then you'll get drivers coming in for their last stop early intentionally, then malleting their tyres until their teammate comes in. In those circumstances I don't see why the Hamilton's and Webbers of this world should be rewarded by their team for inefficient usage of tyres.