Rams @ Lions - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Los Angeles Rams

Old 17.10.2010, 01:00 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamsAreTheBest14 View Post
I fail to understand why everybody is so depressed. I know that for every game we should be directed to the worst scenario. Honestly, we are a team... 1 player shouldn't change the way we play... The Colt's without Manning are nothing. The Rams have one of the best slot WR's in the NFC (Danny Amendola)... Not having Avery shoulnd't change an awful lot about how we perform. We have Clayton instead. But hey, this is just a 15 year old speaking, so I most probably know $h!t...
We are a team but you've got to understand that we're a team made of pretty poor players at the moment. Devaney gutted this team of just about all of our veteran players last year. I can't say I blame him for two reasons, one they weren't pulling up trees and were getting longer in the tooth and two he made a lot of cap space so when we get a true free agency year we can hopefully do some big business. The fallout from that is this, our experienced players with the exception of Jackson aren't really pro bowl calibre players, or in the case of Atogwe who could potentially reach that level aren't playing like it. We're also relying too heavily on rookie and second year players, to do this with one or two players is okay but we're doing it en masse. The guys we are drafting will take time to bed in to the the NFL but we're asking them to carry a huge load for the team. Laurinaitis is playing lights out but at the other end of the scale you have a Jason Smith, who'll take maybe a couple of years to hit his potential. Beyond that we're relying on one or two veteran free agents such as Fred Robbins whose doing a solid job for us and the remainder are guys we're picking up off waivers. So you have to understand with a team make up like that we'll only get so far, at some point we need real depth of talent as well as determination. You could almost compare our situation to that of an expansion team. We really are in a hole talent wise and I think it's admirable that with the exception of the Lions game we're staying in games at the moment. The only saving grace is we're in the NFC West where everyone appears as bad as each other, if we were in the AFC North for example we'd be well and truly up the creek. The finger of blame really needs to be pointed at the prior regime, I'm looking at you Jay Zygmunt and you John Shaw, two men who seemed to control our personnel choices without having much if any football knowledge between them. These guys simply drafted us bad. If you want examples you just need to trawl through our recent drafts. From 2006 only Mark Setterstrom, our seventh round pick is still on the team and he's a minor player. From 2007 only Clifton Ryan a fifth round pick. 2005 seems to be our best year in recent years picking Bartell in the second and Atogwe in the third but see above for my thoughts on them. Shockingly, the only real elite talent we've picked in the first round over the last few years is Steven Jackson back in 2004. First round picks should be our standard bearers and ours have been terrible, we've only got one left on the team (Jackson) from the years 2004 to 2007!!! Compare that to the current superbowl champion Saints who've retained three from the same period and the one who left (Jammal Brown) went to two pro bowls while he was there! Second and third round players should be great to very good solid players and again in the main ours have been terrible with only Bartell and Atogwe remaining on the team. Our problem is it only takes a few years to draft a team into our position but twice as many to draft one out of it. As stated above Devaney has made good cap space so we may accelerate our climb back to genuine respectability with some quality free agency moves. So sure, be angry when we lose but just understand when we do it's not through a lack of trying but more likely a lack of genuine talent. Similarly when a number one guy goes down understand where our back up is coming from, he just isn't on the same level. Clayton was fourth choice at Baltimore but he's number one here, when he goes down imagine the level the guy replacing him as number two here would be at on the Ravens depth chart! You really start to see our situation then and appreciate the job Spags is doing. I live in hope though, I'm seeing signs of recovery.

Last edited by tribesman; 17.10.2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 17.10.2010, 02:43 PM
All Pro

Nice little read... I don't think it's the lack of talent though. I disagree on that one... We have talented Bradford, Lauriantis, Hoomanawanui (although we haven't seen much of him) and I think Gilyard (if that's how you spell his name) is pretty talented. Amendola is a tremendous WR... I just think that the team hasn't 'settled' together yet. It's a bit like when you make jelly. At first it's all liquidized (like we are now) and then when you put it in the fridge it settles...
Old 17.10.2010, 03:19 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamsAreTheBest14 View Post
Nice little read... I don't think it's the lack of talent though. I disagree on that one... We have talented Bradford, Lauriantis, Hoomanawanui (although we haven't seen much of him) and I think Gilyard (if that's how you spell his name) is pretty talented. Amendola is a tremendous WR... I just think that the team hasn't 'settled' together yet. It's a bit like when you make jelly. At first it's all liquidized (like we are now) and then when you put it in the fridge it settles...
I'm not disputing those guys are talented but its like I said in my post you're asking these first and second year guys to carry the load of the team. I'll guarantee when you look at the teams that make the division finals this year that definitely won't be the case, they'll be loaded with solid picks from previous drafts and/or high draft pick players they've traded for that, players we just don't have in enough quantity. We have some talent but we just need more and at depth. We're starting to get a nice base to this team but it's going to take a few more years of drafting and free agency to really get us going places, not so much in this division but in the playoffs. We need a few more players of Jackson's calibre, Bradford is looking like he's there but we also need that level at WR (that's a deep threat WR), RDE, at least one more at LB and a genuine number two threat at RB. Beyond that we need good depth at other positions. You throw those players on a team with the foundation of decent players we're starting to get and we look a completely different proposition. Imagine you put a Shawne Merriman alongside Laurinaitis rather than a N'aill Diggs or if we could compliment Jackson with say a Jahvid Best or a Felix Jones rather than Darby (although hopefully he turns out to be good) and you should see where I'm coming from. We need that sprinkling of elite talent and greater depth, hopefully we already have some of those type of guys with us in Illinois Mike, Bradley Fletcher and Danny Amendola. I love the way we're heading but it's just not an overnight fix when you're coming from our position, we have too many needs.

Last edited by tribesman; 17.10.2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 17.10.2010, 03:55 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribesman View Post
I'm not disputing those guys are talented but its like I said in my post you're asking these first and second year guys to carry the load of the team. I'll guarantee when you look at the teams that make the division finals this year that definitely won't be the case, they'll be loaded with solid picks from previous drafts and/or high draft pick players they've traded for that, players we just don't have in enough quantity. We have some talent but we just need more and at depth. We're starting to get a nice base to this team but it's going to take a few more years of drafting and free agency to really get us going places, not so much in this division but in the playoffs. We need a few more players of Jackson's calibre, Bradford is looking like he's there but we also need that level at WR (that's a deep threat WR), RDE, at least one more at LB and a genuine number two threat at RB. Beyond that we need good depth at other positions. You throw those players on a team with the foundation of decent players we're starting to get and we look a completely different proposition. Imagine you put a Shawne Merriman alongside Laurinaitis rather than a N'aill Diggs or if we could compliment Jackson with say a Jahvid Best or a Felix Jones rather than Darby (although hopefully he turns out to be good) and you should see where I'm coming from. We need that sprinkling of elite talent and greater depth, hopefully we already have some of those type of guys with us in Illinois Mike, Bradley Fletcher and Danny Amendola. I love the way we're heading but it's just not an overnight fix when you're coming from our position, we have too many needs.
I see where you coming from. To me Darby looked superb against the Skins and the Seahags... And correct me if I'm wrong, but to me, he looks better on screen's that we played quite a lot against the two teams above...