Premier League Thread - Page 1054 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 08.08.2011, 04:03 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryt View Post
Its not gash mate, he's bang on!
Look at the last few years in the big games away at Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Barca, Bayern etc

Even if we start well and take the lead, out instinct is to fall back and protect it, and we always pay the price!
The exception is that away game against Arsenal when we broke on them 3 times and scored, but I think that says more about Arsenal than us.

Hell we even roll out a massive BELIEVE banner at the start of big Euro games, because we want the players to heed the message!!
What are you talking about?

If anything this season (and last actually) against Liverpool we played a far too attacking style, starting with Berbatov-Rooney up front, and then replacing injured Nani with Hernandez. We couldn't control the game at all in midfield because we only had two guys who were relatively static. Nothing to do with playing scared like LeeBlade suggests.

Arsenal? Erm, what? We always play some great stuff at the Emirates, last year we just played poorly.

Same for Stamford Bridge, played great there on both occasions last year. I agree that we can sit on leads far too often, I've complained about that too. That's no what leeblade is saying though - He's implying that we play not to lose in big games, which is absolute gash. I'd say we were the better team in our last 3 visits to Stamford Bridge, with the ref being the major reason we lost two of them (I know Chelsea were unlucky not to have a penalty in the latest meeting).

Not only recently, it pretty much goes back as far as I remember. Ferguson may be more cautious in some games more than others, so would every team, but I have no doubt in my mind that he tries to win every game. We never play not to lose - Games such as these away to Arsenal spring to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhP9xAl4xng
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrC8gZrHy7w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVT0i52borU

Not playing to win, not playing good football? GASH!

The Believe banner is nothing to do with the teams mentality, pretty sure Milan do something similar despite being one of the top teams in European history.

Last edited by Jacks Jets; 08.08.2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08.08.2011, 04:13 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks Jets View Post
Same for Stamford Bridge, played great there on both occasions last year. I agree that we can sit on leads far too often, I've complained about that too. That's no what leeblade is saying though - He's implying that we play not to lose in big games, which is absolute gash. I'd say we were the better team in our last 3 visits to Stamford Bridge, with the ref being the major reason we lost two of them (I know Chelsea were unlucky not to have a penalty in the latest meeting).
I'd agree with that. In the league game you came down and played a 4-4-2, which is unheard of for an away team against us. First half, it worked, 1-0 at half time and in control. What shocked me was after the break you didn't go to a 4-5-1 and instead hoped to nick a second in the 4-4-2. It backfired, but it could have worked a treat given how much better you looked up until Luiz scored.

Liverpool away was more a product of shocking defending than not being adventurous. Arsenal, bad day at the office, just like we had when we went there and got pasted 3-1.

United were best at sitting on leads with Ronaldo and Rooney in the team. How many times did teams try to get back in it, and in the blink of an eye the two of them went on a rampaging counter-attack to kill the game off. Maybe that's what United need, a replacement counter-attack threat for Ronaldo. Maybe Nani can take up that role this year.
Old 08.08.2011, 04:14 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattio13 View Post
I've set up a Premier League fantasy league on the league website, if anyone wants to join heres the code: 706435-277317
I've joined this league. Needs a few more!
Old 08.08.2011, 04:16 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by weevally View Post
I've joined this league. Needs a few more!
Got a link mate? I've been really impressed with the football knowledge and banter on here, let's see who's the best
Old 08.08.2011, 04:34 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Football Giants View Post
United were best at sitting on leads with Ronaldo and Rooney in the team. How many times did teams try to get back in it, and in the blink of an eye the two of them went on a rampaging counter-attack to kill the game off. Maybe that's what United need, a replacement counter-attack threat for Ronaldo. Maybe Nani can take up that role this year.
Indeed and regardless of lee may claim, it made for great football. The greatest football I've ever seen United play was probably 2006-2007, Rooney and Ronaldo were brilliant.

Ronaldo was and still is probably the best counter attacking player in the world. Nani has all the ability, but he's a tough to guy to rely on. I suspect he'll have another lights out start to the season, racking up spectacular goals and assists in the process and then fade away a little. Always love having him in the team though, because he's capable of absolutely anything.
Old 08.08.2011, 04:34 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Football Giants View Post
Got a link mate? I've been really impressed with the football knowledge and banter on here, let's see who's the best
fantasy.premierleague.com and then register

if your registered just enter this code on the league section: 706435-277317
Old 08.08.2011, 06:35 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattio13 View Post
I've set up a Premier League fantasy league on the league website, if anyone wants to join heres the code: 706435-277317
It says its not a valid league code when I try it.

It is the official FA PL site?
Old 08.08.2011, 06:59 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsio View Post
It says its not a valid league code when I try it.

It is the official FA PL site?
Yes it is. If its not letting you use the code i can send you an invite if you give me your email
Old 08.08.2011, 07:24 PM
MVP

Alex Oxalde-Chamberlain is supposedly at Arsenal for a medical, the deal is £5million up front with another £5million in performance add-ons.

Been a targt for a while, but will Wengers joy at getting him be shared with the fans?
Old 08.08.2011, 07:32 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks Jets View Post
Indeed and regardless of lee may claim, it made for great football. The greatest football I've ever seen United play was probably 2006-2007, Rooney and Ronaldo were brilliant.

Ronaldo was and still is probably the best counter attacking player in the world. Nani has all the ability, but he's a tough to guy to rely on. I suspect he'll have another lights out start to the season, racking up spectacular goals and assists in the process and then fade away a little. Always love having him in the team though, because he's capable of absolutely anything.
But its not great football though and your still missing the point.

You only think its great because it producers what you want which is results but that doesnt mean its great. Lets be straight up here, if it wasnt for Uniteds success you wouldnt be a fan, if they were in league 2 you wouldnt be a fan because football for you is following a team who are succesful so therfore United winning x amount of titles is playing great because they win