Super Bowl 53. Game day thread. - Page 16 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > Gameday Forum

Old 04.02.2019, 03:48 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post

Brady was pretty poor in general though.
Agreed, not his greatest performance, it would have been a travesty if he'd won the MVP! Credit to the Rams Defense for their game plan, they executed it to perfection and gave Brady nothing to work with, completely disrupting his rhythm. The Rams D needed their offense to put up points but were badly let down by them and were for the most part inept.

Onto the off-season!
Old 04.02.2019, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

I’ve already forgotten 99% of what happened in that game. Patriots should have put up 30+ on that Defense, but were strangely subdued. Didn’t matter though, as the Rams never looked like making it into double figures.
Old 04.02.2019, 10:05 AM
All Pro

Very weird game. I like a tense defensive contest, but that didn't feel like one, just stale inept offensive production.

I can't remember a more dull contest.. unless we are talking blow-outs
Old 04.02.2019, 10:15 AM
MVP

Aside from the fact the Patriots won, I didn't hate that game as much as most seem to. I quite enjoy the low scoring stuff, although it was some bad offense as well as good defense. I love watching the cover schemes, and the way the Rams in particular kept disguising. Anyway my main takeaway is it made me realise that with football I don't ever find the games totally boring in the way I can sometimes with soccer. Or if I do it is because they are blowouts. I do think some fans just associate better games with more scoring. Not pointing at anyone here, just generally, and especially American audiences.

Anyway, not one that will be remembered fondly down the line, but to be honest we have been spoiled in the last 10-15 years when you look at what happened before that.

I think this season confirmed why most hardcore fans prefer the divisional or conference weekends to the Super Bowl. You get all the tiresome day-trippers showing up for the Super Bowl making their yawn comments about adverts and rugby, as if you're interested or haven't heard it a thousand times before.
Old 04.02.2019, 10:45 AM
Pro Bowler

I enjoyed watching the game, both offences were poor though and as others have said it won't be remembered down the years.

I was surprised at how poor the Rams offence was though.
Old 04.02.2019, 11:00 AM
All Pro

That was a very dull game. I'm all for great defensive performances but didn't really think we saw that last night. The Pats fans will no doubt wax lyrical about the great BB but Brady was 3 of 12 on 3rd down? No, Goff choked and the Pats just ground out a win by making 1 less bad play. It says something when a short, white Wide Receiver who ran 14 short hitches and scored no points is the pretty much undisputed MVP.

Someone new to the game would come away from that one wondering what all the fuss was about.
Old 04.02.2019, 11:42 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterHayes View Post
That was a very dull game. I'm all for great defensive performances but didn't really think we saw that last night. The Pats fans will no doubt wax lyrical about the great BB but Brady was 3 of 12 on 3rd down? No, Goff choked and the Pats just ground out a win by making 1 less bad play. It says something when a short, white Wide Receiver who ran 14 short hitches and scored no points is the pretty much undisputed MVP.

Someone new to the game would come away from that one wondering what all the fuss was about.
Exactly. The resident “Experts” claim they enjoyed it, as there is a certain snobbery and elitism In enjoying a low scoring game here but let’s be real, there were 3 big plays on defence, the MVP was undisputed but in any other SB wouldn’t have been in the conversation. The defensive schemes and shifts were interesting but not when both offences couldn’t come up with any plays. New England strung together 3 decent plays - all the same in a row - and punched in a TD with the 4 play on the goal line.

Was hardly a masterclass... nobody had their finest hour.

Pats never looked like loosing it after the initial interception.

Congrats to the Pats though as they put their head down and ground it out even though they weren’t at the races.
Old 04.02.2019, 12:24 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocksy View Post
Congrats to the Pats though as they put their head down and ground it out even though they weren’t at the races.
And isn't that the hallmark of Champions? I get the hate for the Patriots in general but not the hate for simply doing what needed to be done to win another SB?

As it happens, I feel a lot of you will get your wish. I was so nervous for last night and I think a large part of that is thinking that was probably Brady's last SB. Possibly not for BB, but it'll be a few years.

Now to savour every last bit of the victory for the next few weeks
Old 04.02.2019, 12:34 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonPatriot View Post
I get the hate for the Patriots in general but not the hate for simply doing what needed to be done to win another SB?
I don't think that's what the hate is. People are lamenting a game that wasn't great, coupled with an outcome but almost nobody except Patriots fans wanted to see.
Old 04.02.2019, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

I can now get to watch it.

Mark