Super Bowl 53. Game day thread. - Page 18 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > Gameday Forum

Old 04.02.2019, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Well I actually enjoyed watching it today. A game full of mistakes from both teams,but who flinched at the end without a doubt the Rams. But what I got out of it was simply the Pats are not infallible unfortunately in that mode they still won.

What made it more enjoyable was Tony Romo commentary and Edelman,what a player.
Old 04.02.2019, 07:08 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
so maybe a high scoring game with plenty of blown coverage's and missed tackles next year.

this was maybe not a game for the casual fan but both defences had great game plans and the players executed,the Rams got enough push to make Brady throw early and it showed how average our receivers are outside of Edelman and the Patriots took away the Rams run game so limited the play action then played coverage's that confused the young Goff enough.

Peter King has a great write up on the actual TD drive where the patriots key was getting into 2TE/2RB's which don't think we see at all in a league based on spread offences.this game was a bit like the SNF game between the Bears/Rams which was a good watch but repeating it in a Super bowl doesn't seem everyone's cup of tea.

the Ds did have a good plan but both Os failed to offer up much and the Ds never really got tested.

so like most others i feel it was poor O that contributed to the game that great D.

i expected a better second half with proper adjustments.
Old 04.02.2019, 07:13 PM
Team Captain

Really enjoyed the game. Perhaps the fact it stayed within one score for so long kept it tense and exciting. It was tough watching Goff struggle throughout and miss on a few easy-looking plays. He wasn't helped by the Rams offense getting completely out-coached. Amazing game plan all round by the Patriots.

As we've had the last couple of Super Bowl's taken over by offense. It was impressive to watch one dominated by defense once more.
Old 04.02.2019, 08:37 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
the Ds did have a good plan but both Os failed to offer up much and the Ds never really got tested.

so like most others i feel it was poor O that contributed to the game that great D.

i expected a better second half with proper adjustments.
maybe it shows how much the Patriots need to upgrade on Hogan/Dorsett as neither guy got open much so if Edelman/Gronk where covered we struggled.even James White only got 3 touches which was a shock.

the Rams season seemed to go south with Gurleys injury and to only hace 1 catch in a superbowl seemed a mistake on the coaches,maybe McVay and his coaching tree aint as good as the media keep telling us.

big off-season for the Rams,can they re-sign some of the defensive guys they brought in to hopefully win it all this year,Goff will see his cap number start to really count from 2020 so maybe its 2019 or bust again....
Old 04.02.2019, 08:56 PM
GOAT

Quote:
maybe it shows how much the Patriots need to upgrade on Hogan/Dorsett as neither guy got open much so if Edelman/Gronk where covered we struggled.even James White only got 3 touches which was a shock.

the Rams season seemed to go south with Gurleys injury and to only hace 1 catch in a superbowl seemed a mistake on the coaches,maybe McVay and his coaching tree aint as good as the media keep telling us.

big off-season for the Rams,can they re-sign some of the defensive guys they brought in to hopefully win it all this year,Goff will see his cap number start to really count from 2020 so maybe its 2019 or bust again....

they lost Kupp too.

maybe the Saints could of offered a decent opposition.
Old 04.02.2019, 09:41 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
they lost Kupp too.

maybe the Saints could of offered a decent opposition.
even the Saints offence seemed to struggle down the stretch.in the end the Rams weakness all season was there run defence and even with great success in the Cowboys/Saints game the Patriots put up over 150 yards on the ground in the super bowl.

also the Patriots defence managed to hold the Chargers/Chiefs/Rams running games to 122 yards combined in the play-offs,talk about making teams one dimensional.
Old 04.02.2019, 10:32 PM
GOAT

Quote:
even the Saints offence seemed to struggle down the stretch.in the end the Rams weakness all season was there run defence and even with great success in the Cowboys/Saints game the Patriots put up over 150 yards on the ground in the super bowl.

also the Patriots defence managed to hold the Chargers/Chiefs/Rams running games to 122 yards combined in the play-offs,talk about making teams one dimensional.

Gurley and Gordon banged up and we all know the situation with the Chiefs.
Old 04.02.2019, 10:44 PM
MVP

Lowest overnight TV ratings for quite a few years, with a 44.9 (last year 47.4, and Broncos-Panthers and Patriots-Seahawks were in the 49s). Not helped by a 26 rating in New Orleans - half as much as last year as Saints fans boycotted the big game in protest at the non-call 2 weeks ago.
Old 05.02.2019, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

Does everyone still want the next McVay?
Old 05.02.2019, 10:46 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocksy View Post
Exactly. The resident “Experts” claim they enjoyed it, as there is a certain snobbery and elitism In enjoying a low scoring game here but let’s be real, there were 3 big plays on defence, the MVP was undisputed but in any other SB wouldn’t have been in the conversation. The defensive schemes and shifts were interesting but not when both offences couldn’t come up with any plays. New England strung together 3 decent plays - all the same in a row - and punched in a TD with the 4 play on the goal line.

Was hardly a masterclass... nobody had their finest hour.

Pats never looked like loosing it after the initial interception.

Congrats to the Pats though as they put their head down and ground it out even though they weren’t at the races.
I agree with this completely. I had joined the NFL UK Facebook group (which was probably a bad idea to begin with) and there was a lot of very poor comments on there my favourite of all being "If you though that was a bad game you know **** all about the game."

This game wasn't a great game by any stretch. There were some good defensive plays sure but there were also some bad play calls and very poor QB play which contributed to it being less than thrilling for the neutral. If I was a Patriots fan I would have probably enjoyed it as when you are watching your team you're looking at it from a different angle and you just want your team to win by any means.

Personally after watching the Vikings week in, week out, since Zimmer took over I have seen a team which has been good on defence but a less than great offence, so when I sit down and watch a neutral game I like to see explosive plays on offence and scoring drives, this game lacked that and any memorable plays that you'll remember for years to come like many Superbowls have.

One of the things I like about the NFL and the community is how inclusive it is no matter what team you follow, everyone looks for/likes different things about the game, if you don't enjoy games like this one it doesn't mean you can't appreciate good defence and that you "know **** all" it's just personal preference - I wouldn't go to a game between Man City and Chelsea which finished 0-0 with about 3 shots all match, and then come out saying what a great game it was despite the fact both teams would have had to have defended very well during the game.