AFC Championship. Patriots @ Chiefs. - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > Gameday Forum

Old 16.01.2019, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Default AFC Championship. Patriots @ Chiefs.

Game day thread folks.

Mark
Old 16.01.2019, 10:55 AM
Hall of Fame

I wonder, will we be hearing about the mercurial Mahomes all game in this one or the Genius of Bill Belichick? I bet we don't hear much criticism either way tbh.

It's January, so any analysis of this game I try to come up with ends with 'yeah, but it's Belichick, Brady and the Pats isn't it. Why will it end any differently?!'.
Old 16.01.2019, 09:30 PM
All Pro

Absolutely cannot wait for this - should be a great game. Arguably the two best coaches of the past twenty years, the best QB of all time up against the young MVP QB sensation, below freezing temperatures in a historic stadium, the new franchise looking to knock off the stalwarts of the conference.

Hopefully it lives upto the hype. My one reservation as a Pats fan is they have been so much worse on the road this season, and have consistently let teams get out to early leads which you just cannot do against this Chiefs side. The positive as a Pats fan is that they are undefeated (5-0 I believe) against playoff sides this year and have consistently raised their game in the biggest moments.

Doesn’t get much bigger than this!
Old 16.01.2019, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Easy win for the Patriots, as Mahomes freezes (literally) in his biggest game so far...

Chiefs 24 Patriots 34
Old 16.01.2019, 10:51 PM
MVP

Freezing is certainly right. Although they seem to have revised the forecast and it may now be "only" -6 celsius, whereas earlier this week they were saying -10 or even colder. Booooo.
Old 17.01.2019, 11:00 AM
All Pro

The 'miracle in Miami' looms large as it is the reason the game is at Arrowhead and not New England. As Olly has noted the Pats have been far better at home and a slow start against the KC offence could leave Brady too much to do.

I honestly don't think the Pats win this one and Mahomes goes to his first big dance but obviously will be cheering on my boys.
Old 17.01.2019, 12:16 PM
MVP

The Patriots haven't won an AFC Championship game on the road for 14 years, when they beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh. Their last 5 Super Bowl appearances all came off the back of home conference game wins, while they have lost their last 3 road title games (Indianapolis and 2 in Denver).

The Chiefs meanwhile have never hosted the AFC title game before and only appeared in it once, in 1994, despite the trophy being named after their former owner Lamar Hunt. Their two Super Bowl appearances came as AFL champions, before the merger and the introduction of the conference championships.
Old 17.01.2019, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

I am going with the following. Patriots 21..Chiefs 28 overtime. The weather will have an impact but McMahon this season up till now has done well. However Brady is not athletic enough out of the pocket and if the Chiefs push them then I see a Chiefs win.
Old 17.01.2019, 06:07 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
Freezing is certainly right. Although they seem to have revised the forecast and it may now be "only" -6 celsius, whereas earlier this week they were saying -10 or even colder. Booooo.
Forecast is been updated again to what might be seen as normal January weather with no big freeze now and positive temperatures.
Old 17.01.2019, 06:17 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider12 View Post
I am going with the following. Patriots 21..Chiefs 28 overtime. The weather will have an impact but McMahon this season up till now has done well. However Brady is not athletic enough out of the pocket and if the Chiefs push them then I see a Chiefs win.
not sure when Brady was ever "last athletic enough out of the pocket" to swing a game but if the Chiefs front has Brady running then for sure we are in deep trouble but the Patriots o-line had a great game on Sunday against the Charges front which has been great all season so maybe if they keep it going this week Brady can just move around in the pocket then hope someone beats there man coverage.