Europa League - Page 39 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 27.07.2017, 09:41 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Is Lookman an out and out striker? Obviously he isn't a target man but could he do the job in a central role? He looks like the type that needs to play off someone.

Benteke isn't a bad shout, but as you eluded to, why would they sell.

Rooney just doesn't have that burst anymore, he's going to struggle to go past/beyond defenders. I think it's plain to see his game has evolved to the stage where he looks to drop into space and pick a pass rather than run in behind/at defenders. That's what they need, and Sandro showed some of that tonight but it helped him that Everton had already taken the lead. I suppose in some ways Lookman would run at/beyond people but maybe that's why he tends to play wide.

It'll be interesting to see what Koeman's favoured starting XI is in a few months time.
he is a main striker, although not a target man (for obvious reasons) guys of his sort of size have been used as solo guy but they would need to play to his strengths and offer the right kind of support.

its the time when you question a teams scouting if they dont find another striker.
Old 27.07.2017, 10:06 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
he is a main striker, although not a target man (for obvious reasons) guys of his sort of size have been used as solo guy but they would need to play to his strengths and offer the right kind of support.

its the time when you question a teams scouting if they dont find another striker.
A lot has been made of the idea that finding attacking (goal scoring) midfielders can take the weight off a teams need for a 25 goal a season striker. That looks like Everton's approach to the transfer market this summer, and there is a lack of available/realistic goal scorers out there. Imo though, that's all well and good, but there's no point having 3 attacking midfielders who can potentially score 10+ goals a season.....all competing for the same starting spot.

Everton will have plenty of creative (possibly goal scoring) options in midfield this season..........but they might lack someone to get on the end of those chances (and convert them). I wonder if they ever had any interest in Javier Hernandez. He could have been an ideal addition. Didn't cost West Ham a fortune really.

Tying this back into the thread..........if they are going to treat this Europa League campaign seriously then they need to find another striker solely due to the number of games involved. Chasing the Top 6 AND playing in Europe on a Thursday too, it's going to involve rotation as it always does.
Old 28.07.2017, 05:24 AM
GOAT

Quote:
A lot has been made of the idea that finding attacking (goal scoring) midfielders can take the weight off a teams need for a 25 goal a season striker. That looks like Everton's approach to the transfer market this summer, and there is a lack of available/realistic goal scorers out there. Imo though, that's all well and good, but there's no point having 3 attacking midfielders who can potentially score 10+ goals a season.....all competing for the same starting spot.

Everton will have plenty of creative (possibly goal scoring) options in midfield this season..........but they might lack someone to get on the end of those chances (and convert them). I wonder if they ever had any interest in Javier Hernandez. He could have been an ideal addition. Didn't cost West Ham a fortune really.

Tying this back into the thread..........if they are going to treat this Europa League campaign seriously then they need to find another striker solely due to the number of games involved. Chasing the Top 6 AND playing in Europe on a Thursday too, it's going to involve rotation as it always does.
West Ham got a bargain for sure.

for me a team like Everton should be moving there eggs into the Europa league, its not an easy route but its likely there best shot at CL football (also they would go straight into the group stage, while even if they got 4th they could still come unstuck.)

the Barkley thing could become interesting if he wants to go to a certain club and decides to play chicken with the deadline, £50m seems like way too much even in this market given he is fairly risky buy (building in bonuses to get to that sort of fee would be reasonable.)
Old 28.07.2017, 03:54 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
On tonight's evidence I'd suggest Everton choose not to pay the £50m that Swansea want for Gylfi, and instead look for a striker.

Rooney isn't a centreforward. Sandro clearly has potential but they can't put it all on him.

No point adding Sigurdsson to Rooney and Klaassen unless they find a striker too. No idea who they'd get but they need another option up top.

Struggled to break down an organised Slovak side tonight. Mirallas invisible for 60mins. Rooney average at best. Klaassen had some nice touches but nothing outstanding. Calvert-Lewin might have been the most active and he got replaced. Gueye was the best player on the pitch but your defensive midfielder isn't going to win you the game. It's their first competitive match so maybe it's a little harsh, but they lacked a cutting edge.

It's early, it's pre season, but it looks like they are going to miss Bolaise and Coleman's pace until they return......unless they can add another dimension.
Rooney is such a selfish player. He really is. When he's asked to play up front, he simply won't. He always drops deep, hogs the ball and slows any attack to snails' pace, just so he can be involved.
The massive teams in Europe saw that straight after his teenage years which were seen as what they were - a flash in the pan. Ronaldo a massive player at ManU was coveted by both Spanish giants, but there has never been a sniff of any interest abroad for Rooney, even in this rumour led social media age
Everton bought so well and let themselves badly. That UEFA game will be a microcosm of the benefit Rooney will bring over the season to Everton - a negligible benefit
Old 28.07.2017, 04:42 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
Rooney is such a selfish player. He really is. When he's asked to play up front, he simply won't. He always drops deep, hogs the ball and slows any attack to snails' pace, just so he can be involved.
The massive teams in Europe saw that straight after his teenage years which were seen as what they were - a flash in the pan. Ronaldo a massive player at ManU was coveted by both Spanish giants, but there has never been a sniff of any interest abroad for Rooney, even in this rumour led social media age
Everton bought so well and let themselves badly. That UEFA game will be a microcosm of the benefit Rooney will bring over the season to Everton - a negligible benefit

the thing with Rooney is he wants to drop deeper to help the team, its weird to call him selfish for wanting to work, some players are just happy to wait up there and barely see the ball.
hardly a flash in the pan either given his career (all time record goalscorer for club and country) and how much of a driving force he was behind Uniteds success.
sure he never reached the heights in tournaments for England but that was a team issue (also he went into a couple getting injured.) even Messi/Ronaldo rarely seem to have there club impact on that stage plus people who dont like him tend to use that to define his career, which is a flawed way to look at it.

given his age and how much he gets paid plus the amount of time he played last year interest from abroad was also likely to be low.
the only teams who could afford him would of seen him as past it.
(i believe in the past he was linked with sides from abroad.)

he is clearly not the player he once was and age has caught up with him (playing so often, in the manner he did from such a young age will have that sort of impact) but if used right he can have a positive impact for Everton.
Old 28.07.2017, 06:43 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
the thing with Rooney is he wants to drop deeper to help the team, its weird to call him selfish for wanting to work, some players are just happy to wait up there and barely see the ball.
hardly a flash in the pan either given his career (all time record goalscorer for club and country) and how much of a driving force he was behind Uniteds success.
Sorry its not a weird call, but whilst I respect your opinion, its one thats formulated by following stats and headline figures and highlights. Stating he drops deeper and that helps the team is fundamentally wrong If he is asked to play up top, dropping deeper is more than likely to detract from what his manager wants his team to achieve and how he has set them up. As I said he plays the game at a tortoise pace and gets in the way of players actually disciplined enough to play the roles asked of them
Ferguson grew tired of it and Mourinho has convinced ManU to take a massive loss to get him out of the door.
As for driving force, I could name many more players who were effective for ManU and as for England take away the penalties and 3rd and 4th goals in 5-0 wins against the likes of Andorra your left with not much. Certainly not much when it really counted for England. Euro 2004 and that was it

Last edited by Crash11; 28.07.2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 28.07.2017, 07:59 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
Sorry its not a weird call, but whilst I respect your opinion, its one thats formulated by following stats and headline figures and highlights. Stating he drops deeper and that helps the team is fundamentally wrong If he is asked to play up top, dropping deeper is more than likely to detract from what his manager wants his team to achieve and how he has set them up. As I said he plays the game at a tortoise pace and gets in the way of players actually disciplined enough to play the roles asked of them
Ferguson grew tired of it and Mourinho has convinced ManU to take a massive loss to get him out of the door.
As for driving force, I could name many more players who were effective for ManU and as for England take away the penalties and 3rd and 4th goals in 5-0 wins against the likes of Andorra your left with not much. Certainly not much when it really counted for England. Euro 2004 and that was it
the thing neither of us know what he was asked to do, i think most would agree he's best when he's in the hole.

if you have a player like Rooney, who plays in that manner and then you try to get him to stay up and wait for the ball is that the player or the managers fault?
(even at United Rooney was better when he had a partner or someone who would get ahead of him.)

the England team as a whole has not done much since then, even when playing with a different player as the main striker.
no one can make a side that plays like a real team, that can get players to the level they play at for there clubs.

for me the classic example was in 2010, he seemed to try and stay up but then nothing happened, there was no creative spark and he ended up dropping deeper to make something happen.

i think he played a bigger part in qualification than that.
as for United other big players were there but he often seemed to be the spark and the key.

i also feel the expectation was too much, when England failed it was Rooneys fault, at Everton people need to see him as another cog rather than the man who has it all on his shoulders.

for me theres a large risk of him becoming a bit like Beckham, where people forget the talent and the good things and focus on the bad (in Beckhams case the brand.)

Last edited by goodkarma84; 28.07.2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 31.07.2017, 03:52 PM
GOAT

UEFA gotta UEFA, they banned Phil Jones for 2 games after he got upset when the drug testers took him before a tribute photo for the Manchester victims.

http://www.givemesport.com/1113281-m...es?autoplay=on

and i thought there comical over ban of Bailly was bad.
Old 31.07.2017, 06:51 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
UEFA gotta UEFA, they banned Phil Jones for 2 games after he got upset when the drug testers took him before a tribute photo for the Manchester victims.

http://www.givemesport.com/1113281-m...es?autoplay=on

and i thought there comical over ban of Bailly was bad.
think the players know the rules and think UEFA to do the test as the protocol's state.think United get lucky that the supercup next week counts as a competitive game somehow so Jones and Bailly get to see some of there punishment served before the real champions league stuff starts.
Old 31.07.2017, 07:07 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
think the players know the rules and think UEFA to do the test as the protocol's state.think United get lucky that the supercup next week counts as a competitive game somehow so Jones and Bailly get to see some of there punishment served before the real champions league stuff starts.

i dont think either is lucky tbh, the Bailly thing was barely a red let alone an additional ban.

on this drugs test it needed common sense, given the nature of the picture.