NFL announces 2019 NFL London Games - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Old 21.01.2019, 05:24 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohamed7 View Post
Really disappointed we didn't get the Chiefs/Chargers game, it's a divisional game with the most talent on display, would have been perfect for London. No idea why they would have that in Mexico, and I also have no idea why they wouldn't finally get the Packers over here. They really dropped the ball on that one because nobody is giving up a Packers home game other than the Chargers, so you can forget about the Pack ever coming over here...

Oh well, two of the games are quite good (CAR-TB and CIN-LAR), I love to watch the Bears but not against Oakland, I really hate it when they get a quality team over and pit them against utter dross.
You don't know the details. Away teams can refuse. And certainly when Alastair Kirkwood spoke to Talksport a few years ago he talked about one team being very difficult about coming over. Since then the Seahawks, Texans and Panthers have all agreed to come. So you have to think that that team is the Packers. I know the Ravens have said after last time they won't do it again as well.

Listen, last year everyone was raving about the Eagles and the Jags, with the Raiders and Seahawks close behind. When it came down to it, the Raiders Seahawks game was awful. Point being, don't judge in January what is going to happen in October.
Old 21.01.2019, 06:41 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Really disappointed we didn't get the Chiefs/Chargers game, it's a divisional game with the most talent on display, would have been perfect for London. No idea why they would have that in Mexico, and I also have no idea why they wouldn't finally get the Packers over here. They really dropped the ball on that one because nobody is giving up a Packers home game other than the Chargers, so you can forget about the Pack ever coming over here...

Oh well, two of the games are quite good (CAR-TB and CIN-LAR), I love to watch the Bears but not against Oakland, I really hate it when they get a quality team over and pit them against utter dross.
It's pretty obvious why.

After the debacle in 2018, they are having to re-sell the game to Mexico again. It was always going to be one of the California teams too.
Old 21.01.2019, 06:43 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
Point being, don't judge in January what is going to happen in October.
Precisely, no game in London history was moaned about more when announced than Jags Vs Bills a few years ago.

What happened?

It's widely considered one of the best games London has hosted.
Old 21.01.2019, 06:47 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:

the Chiefs/chargers is a primetime match up which is why we where never going to get it and mexico which after missing out last year needed a great game and it will be either a SNF/MNF game or a game of the week.

with the Packers sure people inside the league office can put pressure on home teams owners to give up good match ups so maybe Green Bay will be over eventually and hopefully while Rodgers is still in his prime.
Old 21.01.2019, 07:46 PM
Pro Bowler

I know on paper were the worst looking team, but next season will hopefully be different and I know that's the game (work permitting) i'll be going to see, especially as one of the other guys from work who I travel up with is a massive Bears fan.
Old 21.01.2019, 07:52 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
with the Packers sure people inside the league office can put pressure on home teams owners to give up good match ups so maybe Green Bay will be over eventually and hopefully while Rodgers is still in his prime.

This was asked of Roger Goodell when he was over for the Jags / Eagles game. His answer was that home team do not want to give up a Packers game as they know it will sell out, but the league it looking at "incentivising" to encourage a team to give up a Packers game.

In other words the NFL will throw ever larger amounts of money at a team who will eventually cave in and give up their Packers game. As always with the NFL it is always about the money.
Old 21.01.2019, 08:36 PM
Rookie

Disappointed with the fixtures

The LA Rams have probably saved the day although the Bears may be a good watch next season.

Rams v Bengals and Bears v Raiders are the only ones that interest me

The Raiders may be ok next season with all the high draft picks they have although Gruden doesn't have a good record in that department.

I would have thought my Redskins team would have considered travelling to London as their crowds are dropping dramatically with the unrest with Synder, Bruce Allen and Gruden
Old 21.01.2019, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

I would’ve thought considering their issues with lack of support and temporary stadium, that the Chargers hosting Packers would’ve been the perfect opportunity to have Green Bay finally play in London.
Old 21.01.2019, 09:27 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
I would’ve thought considering their issues with lack of support and temporary stadium, that the Chargers hosting Packers would’ve been the perfect opportunity to have Green Bay finally play in London.
Surely it's the opposite? The Packers game is their chance to actually fill out the soccer stadium with Chargers fans?
Old 21.01.2019, 11:09 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
The NFL and Fox are going to want this game as a 4:25pm eastern time game of the week, if not Sunday Night Football. It will get big TV viewer numbers in the American market, which dwarfs anything here, and that means adverts. Even in the LA TV market, I imagine, contrary to a lot of Chargers games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
Surely it's the opposite? The Packers game is their chance to actually fill out the soccer stadium with Chargers fans?
The stadium always sells out, and in fact has the highest ticket prices anywhere right now because of the limited capacity. Away fans are buying up tickets, or buying them off fair-weather home fans who are less willing to spend big money to get in or more willing to cash in. That stadium will be jam packed with Packers fans, and most will have spent a lot to get in, too. But the team won't necessarily make money out of those tickets changing hands at high prices.

The main thing going for the Chargers in bringing the Packers here is likely to be that it is less of a 'road' atmosphere for them, ironically. It still would be, but the neutrals in the crowd will dilute it. But this is a problem LA teams are always going to have. Even the Rams, who actually have fans in the city have been playing to at best 50% home crowds against the Packers and Cowboys this year. There are a lot of transplants in LA from elsewhere, a lot of people who support the historically successful teams, partly since there has been no team for 20 years, partly cos it is LA. Plus I'd imagine it's an attractive venue for a road game. Nice weather and you know you'll be surrounded by fellow Packer fans.