The Dawg Pound! - Page 347 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Cleveland Browns

Old 19.11.2012, 10:20 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebladedawg View Post
Weedon is actually regressing which is worrying, his choice making and failure to see the field is a concern when you think he should be getting better through more game time. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt in that he is sticking to cautious playcalls he is getting but on almost every passing play he is missing some easy options .

Also his throwing action is at moment better described as more Anderson than Brady which again is a slight worry. He is throwing off touch and so many Balls are either behind or to high for the receiver instead of leading the wideout which is what you should be doing in a westcoast.

To be fair he is still a rookie and learning the game and i agree that he is still a better option than Colt.

However Banner and Haslam have both said that everyone will be evaluated at the end of the year so who knows, i doubt very much that Colt gets any shot but stranger things have happened
Weeden is the better QB option , but how can Haslam evaluate McCoy if he doesn't see him play? , two passes of Weedens stick in my mind from sunday , a 3rd down when the guy was wde open and he over threw it , & the 4th and goal , the TE ,Cameron i think it was, had no chance of catching it ! ,... but he's a rookie so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt
Old 19.11.2012, 10:40 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHelmet View Post
Weeden is the better QB option , but how can Haslam evaluate McCoy if he doesn't see him play? , two passes of Weedens stick in my mind from sunday , a 3rd down when the guy was wde open and he over threw it , & the 4th and goal , the TE ,Cameron i think it was, had no chance of catching it ! ,... but he's a rookie so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt
Haslam isnt evaluating anything, he is leaving it to Banner who will make all the decisions, my guess is that Banner has evaluated Colt through watching game tape from last year, he aint going to go in and rock the boat and make Pat play Colt as that would weaken his position in Cleveland .

As for Weedon yeh he totally over threw Cooper who was wide open and that fade route was a terrible throw from Weedon, he got the timing all wrong and he should have known that Cameron could never make that play given how he was covered
Old 20.11.2012, 06:37 AM
Team Captain

I really don't think either Haslam or Banner are the guys who will be making the decision on our QB going forward. Haslam has hired Banner as CEO, so his job is to run the whole organisation on a day-to-day basis and hire the GM/Head Coach etc.

Ultimately, you have to trust the football men you hire to make the right player personnel decisions. There may occasionally be players that the owner or CEO do veto due to character red flags, but if you simply allow the owner to control which players to pick then you end up with a train wreck like the Cowboys (post-Jimmy Johnson's team).

For example, imagine we did hire Chip Kelly as HC, and then also had the No.1 overall pick (admittedly an unlikely scenario). If Kelly decided that he needed Geno Smith to run his new offense, would it really make any sense for Banner or Haslam to insist that we stick with Weeden (or McCoy)? Love him or hate him, Chip Kelly is a man with a plan, and wherever he ends up he needs the freedom to put that plan into action, and then live or die by his own sword.

Banner has enough on his plate running the Browns and trying to find a winning GM/HC combination without needing to get involved in QB evaluation. That is really the job of the GM and head coach.
Old 20.11.2012, 09:08 PM
All Pro

Quote:
I know Weeden is our starter for next year , and im not saying Colts a better option , but McCoy has never had a fair chance imo , and im not sure Weedens ' miles ' better, Dave especially where accuracy is concerned
We could compare the two sets of stats if you like
Old 20.11.2012, 09:20 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_browns! View Post
We could compare the two sets of stats if you like
im sure Colt wouldn't have thrown that 4th & goal pass that high !! , it was shocking

Weeden is the better option at QB , just dont think Colt McCoy has had a fair crack at the starting QB job , his receivers last year were awful ....
Old 20.11.2012, 10:42 PM
All Pro

Quote:
im sure Colt wouldn't have thrown that 4th & goal pass that high !! , it was shocking

Weeden is the better option at QB , just dont think Colt McCoy has had a fair crack at the starting QB job , his receivers last year were awful ....

None of these lads are a franchise QB's in my eyes and I would probably trade both away for the best picks I could get.

Both of these guy's are back up QB's in my eyes, I agree with taking a QB in the 1st round as it was worth a punt.

I say we keep doing this till we land one we can build around- because at the moment we are building a good team around very average QB's.

Might be a good way of doing it I guess so when we do land that QB he has some real stonewall quality around him. T - Rex,Mack,Thomas,Taylor,Cribbs= dare I put Sheard in there yet?
Old 21.11.2012, 11:00 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritDawg View Post
I really don't think either Haslam or Banner are the guys who will be making the decision on our QB going forward. Haslam has hired Banner as CEO, so his job is to run the whole organisation on a day-to-day basis and hire the GM/Head Coach etc.

Ultimately, you have to trust the football men you hire to make the right player personnel decisions. There may occasionally be players that the owner or CEO do veto due to character red flags, but if you simply allow the owner to control which players to pick then you end up with a train wreck like the Cowboys (post-Jimmy Johnson's team).

For example, imagine we did hire Chip Kelly as HC, and then also had the No.1 overall pick (admittedly an unlikely scenario). If Kelly decided that he needed Geno Smith to run his new offense, would it really make any sense for Banner or Haslam to insist that we stick with Weeden (or McCoy)? Love him or hate him, Chip Kelly is a man with a plan, and wherever he ends up he needs the freedom to put that plan into action, and then live or die by his own sword.

Banner has enough on his plate running the Browns and trying to find a winning GM/HC combination without needing to get involved in QB evaluation. That is really the job of the GM and head coach.
Banner has history with the Eagles of getting involved in the draft and also shifting players out, especially the older vets etc so dont be to surprised if Dawson suddenly leaves at end of the year.

As for the rest of the post i agree whichever new coach comes in will want his own guys etc but Banner will make damn sure that whoever the new guy is sits down and looks at what we have
Old 04.12.2012, 07:07 PM
Rookie

Default TV series about Browns

New series starring the Cleveland Browns starts today on Travel Channel. NFL road tested: The Cleveland Browns. It is going to be 4 episodes. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...fl-road-tested Hopefully can find it somewhere tomorrow. Looks very interesting.
Old 04.12.2012, 07:20 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa78 View Post
New series starring the Cleveland Browns starts today on Travel Channel. NFL road tested: The Cleveland Browns. It is going to be 4 episodes. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...fl-road-tested Hopefully can find it somewhere tomorrow. Looks very interesting.
cool, good find. any idea when its on?
Old 04.12.2012, 08:08 PM
Rookie

I have no idea when its on. I have to rely on torrents because I don't have Travel channel.