Premier League Thread - Page 10 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 16.09.2008, 10:58 AM
All Pro

Default Re:Premiership Thread

Ben with the money we've invested in Ramos, and how it played out, we're stuck with him for better or worse (I happen to think for the better) for the next couple of years at least.

Its dissapointing because all Villa needed to do against us was play basic football well and wait for us to make a mistake, while not making a mistake of their own. They never over committed and 2-1 was probably a little generous to us.

On the plus side Gareth Bale was fantastic. Dos Santos had a good cameo and livened things up. I think Pavyluchenko will be a good signing, his movement and touches were good but he probably wasn't quite in sync with the rest of the team.

I think we need to adopt a 4-2-3-1 type tactic to succeed with the personnel we have, otherwise we'll always concede.

Gomes (a howler for the second but was fantastic otherwise, massive improvement on Robbo)
Hutton - Woodgate - King (Corluka) - Bale
Zokora - Jenas
Bentley - Modric - Dos Santos
Roman (It's your round, Roman sung to the Kum bah yah tune)

That to me seemed like the right team to play. We don't press well enough in the midfield to play two central midfielders, and get to narrow with possession once we put Modric on the left.

We really need to beat Wigan convincingly but the confidence and accountability isn't there at the moment.
Old 16.09.2008, 11:35 AM
MVP

That was the second time already this season Ashley Young has gone up against Corluka. He certainly likes that battle.

It's clear Tottenham need more time to work together. The upheval of the squad isn't paying dividends right now. Movement was sloppy and ineffectual last night. Although we played as well as I've seen for a long while, so take it as equal measures really.

I'd be a little concerned by the number of good chances we had though. We could have easily gone in 3-0 or so at half time. Gomes made a couple of great saves but we didn't find it difficult to create chances. I wouldn't blame Gomes for the second goal either, the replay shows the ball moves just away from his hands as it approaches him. Not a lot he could do.
Old 16.09.2008, 12:01 PM
All Pro

Yeah I was down the other end when the shot left Young's foot ... he hit the ball so crisply.

He was fantastic last night. But then he's normally fantastic as everyone other then Fabio can see.
Old 16.09.2008, 01:58 PM
MVP

Ahh Khaled I didn’t see you there yesterday but boy I’m pissed off I went, should have stayed at home and watched one tree hill.

Your assessment is not too dissimilar to my own.

Gomez – Made a world class save first half, too many punches and the 2nd goal was a stinker 6/10

Corluka – He looked out of position at right back, not encouraged at all by that display 3/10

Woodgate – Shoody first half, nearly cost us a goal, improved slightly in the second 5/10

Dawson – Terrible without King we will struggle all year 2/10

Bale – Best player on the pitch, shame he is Welsh 9/10

Modric – Shame to see him injured hope its not serious, Jenas showed a lot of energy when he came on 7/10

Zokora – Not good enough, I miss Carrick. If Barry was playing for us we would have won 4/10

Huddlestone – Decent shot, too slow for my liking average 5/10

Lennon – Does everything well apart from the final ball 6/10

Pavleychenko – Dare I say it Steffan Iverson. Looked very unfit, clearly will need a few games to settle in 4/10

Bent – I think I would probably score more goals than him 3/10

Dos Santos looked good when he came on, Bentley clearly can’t play on the left.

Overall I’m scared our front 6 is worse than last season, we basically had the same midfield with poorer strikers.

Villa are a good side well organized a very good back four, Barry barely gave away the ball all game and genuine talent with Ashley Young. Possibly some of the poorest chants I have heard from away fans On the ****, On the **** how extremely chavvy and Midlands esque.
Old 16.09.2008, 05:05 PM
Team Captain

New rule introduced: If a player goes past you, you are now allowded to put your arms around said player and tackle him to the floor.

John Terry had his red card overturned but then again the FA's poster boy (along with Beckham, Lampard & Gerrard) it was never in doubt that it would be over turned.

Now if it had been a Hull or Stoke player or even a foreign player there would of been outrage. The media would of gone crazy how can we have the dirty/poor teams and cheating foreigners in our precious premier league! I'd loved to of seen Lawro and Hansons faced if it had been done to Gerrard.
Old 16.09.2008, 05:42 PM
All Pro

[quote author=PackersBlade link=board=23;threadid=35053;start=90#msg955245 date=1221584738]
New rule introduced: If a player goes past you, you are now allowded to put your arms around said player and tackle him to the floor.

John Terry had his red card overturned but then again the FA's poster boy (along with Beckham, Lampard & Gerrard) it was never in doubt that it would be over turned.

Now if it had been a Hull or Stoke player or even a foreign player there would of been outrage. The media would of gone crazy how can we have the dirty/poor teams and cheating foreigners in our precious premier league! I'd loved to of seen Lawro and Hansons faced if it had been done to Gerrard.
[/quote]

Yep, it was a pretty ridiculous decision to overturn it. I remember last year when Aliadiere after barely touching Mascerano on the face at Anfield was sent off and had an extra game attached to his suspension for a 'frivolous' appeal, would never happen to one of the poster-boys.
Old 17.09.2008, 07:57 AM
MVP

Typical Jiz, a positive comment about the team is quickly followed with a swipe at the fans

Actually that song tends to do my head in when we sing it at home, it must go on for about 10 minutes. Though we aren't the only club who sing it (or the tune at least).

No chavs in our ground though 8)
Old 17.09.2008, 11:52 AM
Team Captain

[quote author=Jiz link=board=23;threadid=35053;start=90#msg955089 date=1221573484]
Ahh Khaled I didn’t see you there yesterday but boy I’m p**sed off I went, should have stayed at home and watched one tree hill.

Your assessment is not too dissimilar to my own.

Gomez – Made a world class save first half, too many punches and the 2nd goal was a stinker 6/10

Corluka – He looked out of position at right back, not encouraged at all by that display 3/10

Woodgate – Shoody first half, nearly cost us a goal, improved slightly in the second 5/10

Dawson – Terrible without King we will struggle all year 2/10

Bale – Best player on the pitch, shame he is Welsh 9/10

Modric – Shame to see him injured hope its not serious, Jenas showed a lot of energy when he came on 7/10

Zokora – Not good enough, I miss Carrick. If Barry was playing for us we would have won 4/10

Huddlestone – Decent shot, too slow for my liking average 5/10

Lennon – Does everything well apart from the final ball 6/10

Pavleychenko – Dare I say it Steffan Iverson. Looked very unfit, clearly will need a few games to settle in 4/10

Bent – I think I would probably score more goals than him 3/10

Dos Santos looked good when he came on, Bentley clearly can’t play on the left.

Overall I’m scared our front 6 is worse than last season, we basically had the same midfield with poorer strikers.

Villa are a good side well organized a very good back four, Barry barely gave away the ball all game and genuine talent with Ashley Young. Possibly some of the poorest chants I have heard from away fans On the p**s, On the p**s how extremely chavvy and Midlands esque.

[/quote]

Whats most dissapoiting for me is the clubs failure to develop the young talent that they have invested in!

over recent years the policy has been to recruit young players with potential rather than paying over the odds for experience. Though from the outset it seemed a good idea, it has proved to be a bit of a wedge in the team.
their clearly hasn't been a leader in the team when 'King' is not available which is often. this is particularly clear in the midfield.

The coaches at the club are just not good enough and the likes of Huddlestone, Lennon, Dawson, Tarabt, Boateng etc. etc. haven't improved their game from when they first arrived. Many would argue have got worse.

Coaching has to be a problem when you look at the likes of Villa or even Man City who have young players who are considerabally better and more consistant than the Spurs Bunch. These teams are at the same level as Spurs and are now showing a natural progression to be able to push to the next level.

But Spurs continue to go down the spiral again, having already lost too many points already. Europe looks as if it may not be their next season, unless they win a cup (2 cups in 2 years....very unlikely). Without Europe the will struggle to keep everbody happy at the club.

the coaching isnt good enough the money spent is inevitablly gone to waste. This could have been better spent over the years on a few better experienced players.

Unless the young team are coached and helped improve into better players within the team!
Old 17.09.2008, 12:11 PM
MVP

On reflection of the games I've seen so far this season, I don't there's been a better defender in the Premiership than Ricardo Carvalho, and to be honest I don't think it's close either. The guy has been absolutely outstanding in all of Chelsea's games so far. Chelsea aren't outplaying and beating teams comfortabley just because they're attacking well - Carvalho has made it nigh on impossible for many players to get anything.

He's put John Terry to shame so far.
Old 17.09.2008, 04:27 PM
All Pro

Disgraceful decision by the FA to overturn Terry's red card. But he plays for one of the top 4 team, so shouldn't have expected anything different really.