Liam66's Draft Position Rankings - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 23.04.2019, 02:35 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by duesouth10 View Post
Cracking stuff, Liam - as some who puts in too many hours, I can see you have too! I really like how you aren't afraid to go against popular opinion - after all, no one is right or wrong right now as undrafted guys can make multiple Pro Bowls! I've been in top 100 mode for a couple of weeks, so nice to see some different names!
Cheers, DS. There are a few choices that go against the majority. The way I see it is every positive opinion on any player in a draft is valid - until they turn into complete busts! I'm still aware that some guys who I put high will not be taken until the mid to late rounds. Then there's the players who are top of most lists that you cannot deny are the best in their respective classes.

Ah yes, the top 100. I'm getting there. Slowly!
Old 23.04.2019, 07:27 PM
Starter

Great reading Liam, been really looking forward to seeing your rankings and so interesting to see it as positional rankings going a little deeper than a top 100. Had a few comments/questions, could talk with you about it for much longer but tried to keep it short!

I didn't have a big difference between Lock, Haskins and Murray, but you've got Lock number one - what do you like about him above the others?

Love that you've had the courage to go with Henderson number two on RB list, I love him and probably chickened out of putting him a bit higher - what do you like about him? But no Singletary in the top ten was interesting - what makes you lower on him? Suppose a similar question with Marquise Brown albeit in your WR top ten?

Where would you slot some of the interior linemen in an overall list? There seems to be consensus that a lot will go in the first round - I've struggled with it but just can't put a first round grade on lots of them. Also Sam Mustipher is a guy who was under my cut-off so haven't watched him - what's to like there?

Where's the biggest drop-off in talent for you with the edge-rushers?

With you massively on Chauncey Gardner Johnson at the top of the safety list, love him - but Abram is quite low would be interested to hear what you had to say about both those two?

Anyway, love the list mate and as DueSouth said, like how bold and different your lists are!
Old 24.04.2019, 07:26 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOggy View Post
Great reading Liam, been really looking forward to seeing your rankings and so interesting to see it as positional rankings going a little deeper than a top 100. Had a few comments/questions, could talk with you about it for much longer but tried to keep it short!

I didn't have a big difference between Lock, Haskins and Murray, but you've got Lock number one - what do you like about him above the others?

Love that you've had the courage to go with Henderson number two on RB list, I love him and probably chickened out of putting him a bit higher - what do you like about him? But no Singletary in the top ten was interesting - what makes you lower on him? Suppose a similar question with Marquise Brown albeit in your WR top ten?

Where would you slot some of the interior linemen in an overall list? There seems to be consensus that a lot will go in the first round - I've struggled with it but just can't put a first round grade on lots of them. Also Sam Mustipher is a guy who was under my cut-off so haven't watched him - what's to like there?

Where's the biggest drop-off in talent for you with the edge-rushers?

With you massively on Chauncey Gardner Johnson at the top of the safety list, love him - but Abram is quite low would be interested to hear what you had to say about both those two?

Anyway, love the list mate and as DueSouth said, like how bold and different your lists are!
Time to get into this...

The quarterbacks - Firstly, this year’s QB class is not the best. If I was to throw them into one big class with 2018 I think my top 5 (maybe more!) would be made up of prospects from last year. As I noted in the piece I think Lock has more tools to work with and his game passes the eye-test for me on tape, especially his last season. He ticked more boxes at the combine too. Would not begrudge a team seeing either Murray or Haskins’ skills and preferring to build their offense around them. But when taking everything into account Lock is my favourite.

Henderson - Really like watching him. Never far from breaking off a big play when you watched a Memphis game. Add that to a good combine and he gets number 2 on my list!

Singletary - I really haven’t “clicked” with Singletary. He’s short and I’m not big on his running style. Fell below everything I wanted to see from him at the combine. Placed him as my number 13 RB.

Brown - Obviously has huge speed. Could be a real weapon if used correctly. Does he rely on speed too much? Will a good defense be able to slow him down? Also his size is a big issue. For his entertainment value I cannot wait to see how he gets on!

Interior linemen - I don’t often think about putting round grades on positions when it comes to position rankings. This year I expect my top 3-4 OTs have a chance at the first round, Bradbury and Jenkins at center and Lindstrom as the only OG.

Mustipher - I had to go a bit deeper with guards and centers as most people put them together into an “IOL” class. Placing those two 10s into one, Mustipher may not make the top 20. I liked watching Notre Dame last season offensively. He moves ok and can turn guys well when run blocking. As I said in the piece - will be drafted late if at all.

Edge rushers - Think I have a good 15 or so with a shot at going by the end of round three. Bit of a drop then to only a few in four and five. It’s tough to say though as there are some that I see differently to how others see them.

Gardner-Johnson - The piece says it all about how much I like him. Strong-looking enforcer type who should make a really good free safety.

Abram - He’s a solid player. Could be one of the first three safeties to get picked. I just think he can be over-aggressive and his style means there’s durability issues.

And breathe! Thanks for the awesome feedback, Oggy. Any other names you want to discuss I’ll probably have something so throw them this way!
Old 27.04.2019, 02:12 AM
Team Captain

Following the real draft along with my own work on players is a challenge! It shows how deep some of these positions are this year.
Old 27.04.2019, 02:43 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam66 View Post
Following the real draft along with my own work on players is a challenge! It shows how deep some of these positions are this year.
I envy your insight into this years Draft. The 7 round mock was the bulk of my 'scouting'/reading this year, so I don't have as much of a 'personal stake' in this years draft compared to previous ones.

Comparing your views to those of the league is good fun/rewarding.
Old 27.04.2019, 03:38 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Comparing your views to those of the league is good fun/rewarding.
It really is. I find it interesting to see how accurately I grade each position - and which positions I am better at evaluating. Well worth looking back on in a few years once each player has had the time to establish a career.
Old 08.05.2019, 06:28 PM
Team Captain

Normally my blog updates are confined to their own little corner of the forum. But as I was throwing together a draft review and referencing these rankings throughout, I thought I'd tag the review onto the end of this thread too!

https://liam66nfl.wordpress.com/2019...-draft-review/