Your teams Draft Grade - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 29.04.2019, 10:46 AM
All Pro

Default Your teams Draft Grade

Thought this might be an interesting one. Grade your teams 2019 Draft. You can even do UDFA's if you're a real draft geek (and think we have a few on here!).

Oakland.

I think we had an easier draft than most years in that we had 3 first round picks and it'd be quite hard to muck it up. That doesn't mean I didn't think we might: it's Oakland after all!

Anyway. I think our first round gets a B+. A lot of the chatter says that taking Clelin Ferrell at Pick 4 was way too early but I think that lost in all this squawking is the fact he'll probably play to a good or great standard for the next 8 - 10 years. In an ideal situation maybe we could or should have traded down but with Quinnen Williams off the board who's to say there was the market for it?

I love the Jacobs pick at 24 and expect him to start Day 1. Abram at 27 was another solid pick, he's arguably the best Safety in the class.

All our later round picks filled needs but I'm not as high as most on what we took as I am about our Round 1 selections. I think that both the Corners (Mullen and Johnson) might take a while to get up and running and Foster Moreau is more of a blocking TE at this point. I love Hunter Renfrow though. What also needs to be said is that all of our picks appear to be high character guys, team captains etc. Moreau wore LSU's 18 jersey given to the LSU player deemed to be "the epitome of an LSU football player on and off the field", Renfrow was a walk on superstar, Jacobs turned a very hard childhood into football success. It's really encouraging that Mayock seems to have gone out and got players with great attitude.

I think this is very encouraging draft for us although we seem to have completely missed the need for Linebackers and shoring up our O-Line a bit. With so may needs I suppose it'd be hard to solve every problem and having already traded 2 mid round picks away I think we did the best we could. All in all I think our draft deserves a solid B.

What do you think of yours?
Old 29.04.2019, 11:33 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterHayes View Post
Thought this might be an interesting one. Grade your teams 2019 Draft. You can even do UDFA's if you're a real draft geek (and think we have a few on here!).

Oakland.

I think we had an easier draft than most years in that we had 3 first round picks and it'd be quite hard to muck it up. That doesn't mean I didn't think we might: it's Oakland after all!

Anyway. I think our first round gets a B+. A lot of the chatter says that taking Clelin Ferrell at Pick 4 was way too early but I think that lost in all this squawking is the fact he'll probably play to a good or great standard for the next 8 - 10 years. In an ideal situation maybe we could or should have traded down but with Quinnen Williams off the board who's to say there was the market for it?

I love the Jacobs pick at 24 and expect him to start Day 1. Abram at 27 was another solid pick, he's arguably the best Safety in the class.

All our later round picks filled needs but I'm not as high as most on what we took as I am about our Round 1 selections. I think that both the Corners (Mullen and Johnson) might take a while to get up and running and Foster Moreau is more of a blocking TE at this point. I love Hunter Renfrow though. What also needs to be said is that all of our picks appear to be high character guys, team captains etc. Moreau wore LSU's 18 jersey given to the LSU player deemed to be "the epitome of an LSU football player on and off the field", Renfrow was a walk on superstar, Jacobs turned a very hard childhood into football success. It's really encouraging that Mayock seems to have gone out and got players with great attitude.

I think this is very encouraging draft for us although we seem to have completely missed the need for Linebackers and shoring up our O-Line a bit. With so may needs I suppose it'd be hard to solve every problem and having already traded 2 mid round picks away I think we did the best we could. All in all I think our draft deserves a solid B.

What do you think of yours?
Easy to play 'what if?' after the event, but I thought we could have double dipped at DE and taken Sweat at #24 and Jacobs at #27. Dalton Risner went the pick after Mullen, and Anthony Nelson and Julian Love went the next two picks after Maxx Crosby. Love the Renfrow pick though, and the only wtf moment came with the Quinton Bell pick but that gets a pass in the middle of the seventh round. Don't know much about our UDFA apart from Te'von Coney who had a 4th/5th round grade from some.
Solid B overall from me too.
Old 29.04.2019, 12:07 PM
Pro Bowler

I'm no expert but not particularly expressed by John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan drafting skills.

C+ For the grade.

Bosa - Obvious

Deebo Samuel WR - Would have gone AJ Brown, Deebo reminds me a lot of Pettis - explosive but not durable

Jalen Hurd WR - Not a fan of doubling up on receivers when there are other areas of need. Whilst its good to have a red-zone threat and a big body I would have passed on this.

Mitch W - Punter - A punter in the 4th round. I guess with the Pats taking one on the fifth and this being an area of need I understand but again good skill level players available at this stage

Dre Greenlaw - LB - Don't know about this one

Kaden Smith - TE - I guess back up for Kittle

Justin Skule - OT - Would have preferred to have addressed this in an earlier around.

Tim Harris - CB - Again would have addressed this in Pick 3.
Old 29.04.2019, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

First two picks-a solid A-
Rest of the Draft-D

Overall-C or C+

Williams is probably the best player in this class, problem with the pick is that he doesn’t fill a need (certainly not if we’re staying with a 3-4 as expected). Josh Allen would have given us our best chance in years of a game changing edge rusher, who could consistently post double digit sacks.

I’m a fan of the Polite pick, especially getting him in the early 3rd. Before the Combine, he was regularly mocked to Green Bay at #12 , so talent isn’t really much of a question. The fact he washed out so badly at the Combine, and is seen as having an attitude problem, is obviously a big concern. Well worth taking the chance though imo.

Taking Edoga, who is a headcase who’s ceiling is probably swing Tackle, over a number of potential starting Centers is a baffling decision. The fact we traded our 7th rounder to move up one place makes it even worse.

Using a 4th rounder on a TE who is basically going to be an extra OL makes no sense to me. Eric Tomlinson does the same job well enough, and you can find blocking TE’s much later in the Draft.

Blake Cashman is a highly rated ILB, but will only get snaps on Defense if Mosley or Williamson go down. Even then, we’ve still currently got Darron Lee on the roster. Caahman is likely headed for a career playing on kick coverage teams.

Our last pick (Blessuan Austin) is a decent CB, but has played just 5 games in the last two years after twice tearing the ACL in his left knee.

At best, two of these guys will make an impact in 2019. Even beyond that, I don’t see any of our last 4 picks ever contributing in a big way. We completely ignored a huge need at Center, passed on arguably the best edge rusher in the Draft and only paid lip service to addressing the CB issue. I would have also expected us to add another WR at some point, especially in what looks a deep Draft at the position.

I’ve gotten used to the Jets making a promising looking start to a Draft, before completely losing the plot, but it’s still disappointing. Mac’s few good picks seem to be the ones who fall right into his lap, and even then he doesn’t always make the right call. Not that it’s all on him, our scouting department is one of the worst too.
Old 29.04.2019, 01:21 PM
Hall of Fame

Middle of the road for me, so a C. (Taking the Amari Cooper trade out of the equation).

ROUND 2/3: Trysten Hill, DT. Connor Mcgovern, G.

For years I've wanted them to add a disruptive, dynamic DT with a high pick, but for years they've seemingly never had an interest. The year they don't have a 1st rd pick they decide its the year to do it! The 3 technique is more important than Safety, but with Taylor Rapp and Adderley on the board its hard to accept taking Hill. I just hope Hill is better than average at such an important spot in the line up, otherwise we'll be treading water for another 5-10 years at DT.

I think they lost some guys prior to pick 90, so if Mcgovern was their highest graded player then fair enough. Its a pick for 2020 really, with Mcgovern at LG or C, and Connor Williams moving to RT.

DAY 3: Tony Pollard, RB. Michael Jackson, CB. Joe Jackson, DE. Donovan Wilson, S. Mike Weber, RB. Jalen Jelks, DE.

Meh. The Cowboys always do a good job of avoiding the 'obvious' picks on Day 3. Pollard needs to be more than a gadget guy/KR to justify the pick. Then they lost out on a few players between pick 128 and 136 (Isaiah Johnson?). They traded back, which was fair enough (adding 2 picks), but I think they lost more players again going from 136 to 149. The two Miami guys are decent value, and we needed RB help, but I do wonder how many of the 6 Day 3 picks will make the roster/or conceivably be safe stashed on the Practice Squad.

Notable UDFA's: Daniel Wise, DT. Chris Westry, CB. Jalen Guyton, WR. Mitch Hyatt, OT.

Daniel Wise was a mid round 3 tech DT for some. Westry is about 8' 10 and runs fast. Guyton is a very good athlete who started out at Notre Dame, an under the radar WR who might make the Practice Squad. Mitch Hyatt was a true freshman starter at LT for Clemson, went on to win 2 National Championships, set all kinds of Clemson records, and won numerous awards. How did he go Undrafted?!!

Last edited by RichardCunliffe; 29.04.2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 29.04.2019, 01:35 PM
All Pro

Here's the skinny on Hyatt:

https://thespun.com/acc/clemson-tige...undrafted-udfa
Old 29.04.2019, 03:05 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterHayes View Post
Just watched him at the 'underwear Olympics' and he didn't really move all that well. Watched a little bit of his tape (vs Boston College) and he appeared to move a little better. He had some good snaps against Zach Allen, and some bad snaps against him. You could see the lack of power (and anchor) at times, he doesn't have much pop or move people off the ball. Some snaps he looked sound technically, some snaps he was a little off balance or over extended.

I'm guessing he benefitted from being on a good Clemson team, but it's still surprising that he fell out of the draft entirely. Maybe it's because he was a Day 3 guy that didn't have the type of athletic traits teams would sooner take a chance on.
Old 29.04.2019, 03:58 PM
All Pro

It's interesting, I guess a sign of just how tiny the margins are once you get to a certain level? Don't forget that any one of these 'fringe' prospects can probably still rip phone books in half with their bare hands and power lift elephants.

Or something....

Anyway, just got round to looking at our UDFA's. If this list is right we've signed:

Alex Ingold, FB, Wisconsin
Lester Cotton, OG, Alabama
Dylan Mabin, CB, Fordham
Andre James, OT, UCLA
Tevon Coney, LB, Notre Dame
Keelan Doss, WR, UC Davis
Koa Farmer, LB, Penn State
Keisean Nixon, CB, South Carolina

Some promising players there IMO. Keisean Nixon I signed in the mock - great size and very athletic, wouldn't be surprised if he sticks at all. Lester Cotton I tried t sign but lost out on a coin toss - another solid college guy. Keelan Doss and Tevon Coney have already been talked about. I can see quite a few of these on the roster or Practice Squad. Another B from me.
Old 29.04.2019, 05:45 PM
GOAT

ours is

Z - cos we are zucked
Old 29.04.2019, 08:50 PM
Pro Bowler

Redcar Steelers view on the Steelers draft

The key is obviously Bush.If he lives up to his draft status and we get at least a couple of others who stick this draft gets a pass.After struggling to find a desirable LB myself in our mock and with more draft capital than usual the time was right.

Hardly gave Diontae Johnson a glance pre-draft as it seemed to be the obvious need was for a size-speed type to play the X.Our man wins more with technique and Louis Riddick has said he was the best route runner available.Also gives us a chance to fix our never ending problems in the return game.

Layne seems decent value as a corner with length.

Didn't like going with a RB so early,even more so after losing one of our 3rds and I would have preferred a more speedy option.

Gentry is a 6'8" TE with a turning circle of an oil tanker and not much of a blocker - Jesse James II ? Hopefully he can be a redzone factor.

Buggs tested really poorly but is an obviously well coached player who is more active than his measurables would suggest.

Ulysees Gilbert II is an athlete at the LB position with coverage potential who needs to get in the weightroom.

Sutton Smith is a player without a position in a traditional Steeler D.However times are changing and rather than seek backups who match closely with starters todays game seems more about finding players who can fill niche rolls.

Derwin Grey sounds like an attempt to emulate the selection of Ramon Foster - good enough feet to play LT but with the bulk to make a move inside feasible where can can possibly replace Foster.

Overall I was a little disappointed to be honest.To me Safety/Big Nickel/Dime/Whatever you want to call it,and Edge were bigger needs than corner and WR.Can also accept that Bush can be a player who can offset the lack of a high pick spent on a hybrid type.

I worry that in an what seems like an obvious attempt to seek out high character players we might be doing so at the cost of discounting ability somewhat.

The offence,in particular the RB group,seems a little one-paced.

I get the need to find LBers who can cover but worry that the likes of the Ravens are already licking there chops.

C+ from me at the moment but I wont be surprised to see things in a better light after further review.

Last edited by DarwinTheAardvark; 29.04.2019 at 08:53 PM.