Flag Football in Schools - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL in the UK

Sponsored Links

Old 06.08.2012, 02:39 PM
Rookie

Question Flag Football in Schools

I am a primary school teacher, who has been following the NFL since Joe Montana captured my imagination as a teenager.
From September I will be teaching PE to years 5 & 6 (9-11yr olds). The syllabus says I have to teach them rugby but I'm determined to teach them flag football. My Head supports me in this but that's as far as my support goes.
I've tried NFLUK and various 'grass roots' organisations and haven't even got a single response! This apathy is very disappointing so I've decided to try the fan forum for suggestions/ideas on how I can take my dream forward.
I've been watching the youtube coaching videos and - at a push - can make some flag belts, but kids these days will see through this and laugh at the sport that I love.

I'm at your mercy...
Sponsored Links
Old 06.08.2012, 03:35 PM
All Pro

There have been a few threads on here recently about American Football in UK schools, not just talking about it but ACTUALLY DOING IT.

It maybe worth checking these threads and PM'ing/contacting some of those involved to compare notes.

https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=90578

https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=90435

https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=89648

There may be more going back a bit further, I didn't really check too thoroughly.
Old 07.08.2012, 06:31 AM
Rookie

Brilliant - thanks for your help.
Old 07.08.2012, 09:57 AM
MVP

I'm planning to do the same this year, to hopefully run an after school club.

I'd suggest using tag rugby tags as flags, it makes sense to do it that way.

Do you have any playing or coaching experience? That will help you with the way to go forward, but it's not essential.

I'd suggest going through the basics quite slowly, how to throw the ball, how to run a route, how to carry the ball. Depending on how quickly they pick it up you could move onto more challenging concepts, but with the time you'll have and the non-existent understanding of the game you'll be faced with I'd suggest focussing on the absolute basics for a while. Simple things like running a route and learning which route is which won't be easy, and will take time to get through.
Old 07.08.2012, 11:30 AM
Rookie

Yeah - the basics is what I'm looking at. To be honest, at least half the class won't have even SEEN any football, so what I'm aiming at is ENJOYMENT and the children WANTING to do more. I'm going to be very much wandering in the darkness and building upon any success.
It's a shame we are so far apart MDE203 or we could have got the schools together. Which age groups are you teaching?
Old 07.08.2012, 06:02 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horny Texan View Post
Yeah - the basics is what I'm looking at. To be honest, at least half the class won't have even SEEN any football, so what I'm aiming at is ENJOYMENT and the children WANTING to do more. I'm going to be very much wandering in the darkness and building upon any success.
It's a shame we are so far apart MDE203 or we could have got the schools together. Which age groups are you teaching?
I'm teaching year four, but will be aiming to run a club for years five and six depending on interest. There's a few I've already scouted out who have the athletic ability to do pretty well, so it's about trying to generate the interest and the desire for them to come along and try it out.

I'm sure these are things you've thought of but I'd show them some football before you start, maybe a highlights video from the NFL to get them excited about it and then you can build on that. Hopefully some of them will be interested enough to want to take it up further as they get older.

I'm looking at organising a game or two against a school relatively local to mine, I'm pretty sure they have a year seven team, so a team of year 5s/6s wouldn't be too much of a gap. But just have to see how it goes.

I'll keep things up to date with how they're going, would be interested to hear how you get on as well.
Old 08.08.2012, 09:14 AM
Starter

Hi Horny Texan,

If interested check out our web page at Exmouth Community College -

http://www.exmouthcollege.devon.sch.uk/raptors.html

If you want to e-mail direct for some ideas;

Rob.Rooksby@exmouthcollege.devon.sch.uk

If you concentrate on lanes and depths, it will stop the kids running into each other. Catching second biggest issue (bruised and broken fingers). Get these two issues nailed - the rest is plain sailing!

Good luck!
Old 11.08.2012, 09:38 PM
Pro

Hi,

I coach at Leeds Met and live in Huddersfield. Drop me an email with your contact details, I would be pleased to help you out.

Mike
Old 12.01.2013, 09:25 PM
All Pro

Hi guys

Not sure if anyone will be watching this thread now, but I am setting up a Flag Football Club in my primary school this week, very much learning as I go. Any advice or experiences that you guys could share would be useful to me. Read up on the rules at

http://www.nflflag.com/pdf/NFL_FLAG_..._Book_2012.pdf

Hope I can maintain their interest until they learn the rules!

Wish me luck
Old 14.08.2013, 02:01 PM
Pro

How did you guys get with the flag football last year?

I'm looking to do the same with my guys this year.

Any advise or key pointers for getting started?

Where to get junior balls from etc

Thank you in advance

Tags
coaching , flag football , primary school , school