Week 3 QB - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Cleveland Browns

Old 23.09.2015, 01:18 PM
Starter

Default Week 3 QB

News just in. McCown is set to start as QB over Manziel.

Thoughts?

I personally would much rather have looked to develop Manziel this season.
Old 23.09.2015, 02:42 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by White9 View Post
News just in. McCown is set to start as QB over Manziel.

Thoughts?

I personally would much rather have looked to develop Manziel this season.
I think it's the right decision, I agree about Johnny and I'm fully on board and I think given how far he has come in such a short time that about 8 games will be more than enough, he has already done more than enough to keep him next year

I just think it makes more sense, if he has a setback on the field which will more than likely happen this year then it's going to be very hard to bench him and then bring him back in, it's far better to let Josh play out the next 4 games, if we win them and we have a genuine shot at playoffs then you stick as you are, if we lose 3 or 4 of them then you stick Johnny in a no lose situation, if he provides a spark then you have something special, if he doesn't but still has games where he plays well then we have something to build on etc etc
Old 23.09.2015, 02:48 PM
All Pro

Oh, that's far too sensible an approach LBD.....McCLOWN OUT!!! JOHNNY IN!!!
Old 23.09.2015, 05:59 PM
All Pro

I'm with Lee on this one, but it really is a true toss up. Our schedule does become harder later on which makes it a tougher call.
Old 25.09.2015, 11:43 AM
Rookie

Im not a Browns fan so take my opinion how you like, im a big follower of the sport since the early 2000's. I don't see the browns making the playoffs this year, Mccowan is a below average QB who was benched for Mike Glennon last year. I believe in Johnny Manziel he might not be the best QB at the moment but from what I saw Sunday he's showing glimpses of getting back to the old Johnny we all loved in college, I feel its pointless playing Josh at QB when you spent a 1st Rounder on Manziel the only way he will develop I feel is if you give him game time.
Old 25.09.2015, 12:38 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeljbev View Post
Im not a Browns fan so take my opinion how you like, im a big follower of the sport since the early 2000's. I don't see the browns making the playoffs this year, Mccowan is a below average QB who was benched for Mike Glennon last year. I believe in Johnny Manziel he might not be the best QB at the moment but from what I saw Sunday he's showing glimpses of getting back to the old Johnny we all loved in college, I feel its pointless playing Josh at QB when you spent a 1st Rounder on Manziel the only way he will develop I feel is if you give him game time.
It's a reasonable stance to take.
The Browns can't chuck in the season from the start as fans would be unhappy, it could affect players and coaches jobs, and they are obviously trying to be as good as possible. Pettine feels Josh gives the team the best chance to win now.
You do have other factors like if you start Manziel you can't really go back to Josh. Against that you now have the likelihood that when Josh throws an interception there could be a loud clamour for Johnny.
Either way, it's a close call
Old 25.09.2015, 08:04 PM
Starter

I have to say im backing Manziel.

I really dont see the advantage of playing McCown.

You have mayve a couple of years at best out of him, and yes Pettine may believe he presents the best chance of winning. But lets be brutally honest. Hes a sub par QB year on year with the exception of 1 season at Chicago. Hes not going to lead the team to the Playoffs, I think at best were looking at a 0.500. Please of anyone disagrees and honestly believess McCown will lead is to the playoffs, fair enough just shout out and let us know.
Ive heard it said that Manziel can learn from the bench from McCown, that Aaron Rodgers started there.... But Aaron Rodgers learnt ftom Brett Favre not Josh McCown thats just not comparable.

Manziel WILL make rookie mistakes, no slight intended, he will. But that game time and experience at a competative level needs to be developed, I expect Mariota and Winston to be the same.

But you need to support that in game action. You dont develop anyone by having then on the bench, thats not just true of the NFL but any sport you care to mention.

By not starting Manziel, in 1 year or 2 we have to look at either giving a 3rd or 4th year Manziel a start with still minimal experience, drafting a new 1st round QB and having to develop them anyway, or bring in another 2nd rate QB (because lets be honest, nobody is going to trade away a top level starting QB)

At least by starting Manziel we know exactly what he can do, can we work with him to develop that potential or do we have to cut our losses.

And for the record I happen to disagree with Pettine on the matter that McCown offers the better chance to win, and looking back over McCowns career history which aside from Chicago doesnt really offer anything to suggest hes going to be capable of anything other than mediocre.
But equally im not saying Manziel will definately be better, but at least with him your either (working towards the future franchise, or recognise he isnt working and looking to draft a starter in the next draft rather than having to delay it a year or 2 developing Manziel later when it could be done now.
Old 26.09.2015, 06:16 PM
Hall of Fame

I totally get the clamour for Johnny to start and if we had gone with him I would have no issue

Where I do disagree with Browns fans who want Johnny to play the whole season just to have a look at what we have is it appears to be tanking the season and do we really need a whole year to evaluate him and also as well will playing only 10 games instead of 16 for example really be that big a difference

I'm not knocking any fan for wanting JF but I can't get my head around this notion that it appears we are saying we aren't sure so let's see and if we lose 14 games then so be it etc

I'm no QB expert and certainly no more an expert than any other fan but for me I want to see can he play well and can he do the basics like every top 16 to 20 QB in the league who are either very good/elite or they are capable game managers etc

Now I'm of the opinion that JF has shown in last 7 quarters that he is capable of this and capable of improving but I honestly don't think that even with a full season he would be any better than what a Bridgewater or a Bortkes or Carr are presently etc so for me I say let's see how far we get and then if Josh crashes as expected then let's hand the keys to Johnny
Old 26.09.2015, 09:29 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebladedawg View Post
I totally get the clamour for Johnny to start and if we had gone with him I would have no issue

Where I do disagree with Browns fans who want Johnny to play the whole season just to have a look at what we have is it appears to be tanking the season and do we really need a whole year to evaluate him and also as well will playing only 10 games instead of 16 for example really be that big a difference

I'm not knocking any fan for wanting JF but I can't get my head around this notion that it appears we are saying we aren't sure so let's see and if we lose 14 games then so be it etc

I'm no QB expert and certainly no more an expert than any other fan but for me I want to see can he play well and can he do the basics like every top 16 to 20 QB in the league who are either very good/elite or they are capable game managers etc

Now I'm of the opinion that JF has shown in last 7 quarters that he is capable of this and capable of improving but I honestly don't think that even with a full season he would be any better than what a Bridgewater or a Bortkes or Carr are presently etc so for me I say let's see how far we get and then if Josh crashes as expected then let's hand the keys to Johnny
I agree Manziel needs polish, but there is no greater teacher than experience.
Yes we could evaluate in 10 games... But that a still only 10 games experience. Why are the likes of Mariota and Wonston not watching from the sideline. The teams have got support that learning curve.

By running McCown what are we actually achieving other than depriving a potential starter of experience. Why delay the start of that learning curve? Johnny seems to have got through the worst side of his personal life following rehab. Now comes the time that needs to be taken to enhance his professional career.

But let me phrase it this way.

Starting Josh, what is the best possible outcome, for the season and the franchise.

Then ask yourself the same for Johnny, Best outcome for the season and franchise.
Old 27.09.2015, 12:07 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by White9 View Post
I agree Manziel needs polish, but there is no greater teacher than experience.
Yes we could evaluate in 10 games... But that a still only 10 games experience. Why are the likes of Mariota and Wonston not watching from the sideline. The teams have got support that learning curve.

By running McCown what are we actually achieving other than depriving a potential starter of experience. Why delay the start of that learning curve? Johnny seems to have got through the worst side of his personal life following rehab. Now comes the time that needs to be taken to enhance his professional career.

But let me phrase it this way.

Starting Josh, what is the best possible outcome, for the season and the franchise.

Then ask yourself the same for Johnny, Best outcome for the season and franchise.
I agree about experience but even if you play Johnny all year he is still going to be basically a 2nd year guy starting next season, the same as he would if he started 10 games so still not sure how much weight the start him to gain experience argument holds at present

To answer your question though mate I guess right now the advantage to starting Josh is he knows the offence that Flip wants to run from his days in Oakland, he has way more experience in terms of game times, even his losing record doesn't negate the fact that he can read defences better right now than Johnny and the main factor is that we are still only in week 3

As for Johnny I guess the advantage is stick him in and get experience from losing games which is highly probable given the schedule we have coming up, the problem you have is if he plays well enough in some games but struggles in others your back to square 1