NFL Top 100 2017 - Top 10 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 27.06.2017, 10:40 AM
Starter

Default NFL Top 100 2017 - Top 10

I'm either being completley stupid and have missed the thread or there isnt one. Anyway whats peoples view on the top 10 -

10 - Matt Ryan
9 - Le'Veon Bell
8 - ODB
7 - Ezekiel Elliott
6 - Aaron Rodgers
5 - Khalil Mack
4 - Antonio Brown
3 - Julio Jones
2 - Von Miller
1 - Tom Brady

I wouldn't argue with Brady at 1. For me Rodgers should be 2. Jones at 3.

Von Miller shouldn't be that high, I'd have Mack in front of him.
Ryan should be a few places higher so I guess my top ten is something like this -

1 - brady
2 - rodgers
3 - jones
4 - mack
5 - elliott
6 - ryan
7 - brown
8 - miller
9 - odb
10 - bell
Old 27.06.2017, 11:04 AM
Hall of Fame

It's tough. I think Aaron Rodgers is more talented than Tom Brady, but Brady is the GOAT because of what he's achieved. Ryan is obviously 3rd in that group.

I'd put Bell over Zeke, solely based on what Bell has done to date. Zeke's possibly a better blocker than Bell, but Bell might be the better runner.

Jones is a physical freak so I'd say Jones, Brown, Beckham, in that order.

Von and Khalil, toss a coin.

So maybe:

Rodgers
Brady
Jones
Brown
Miller
Mack
Bell
Zeke
Beckham
Ryan
Old 27.06.2017, 04:45 PM
MVP

Utterly ridiculous that David Johnson is not in the top ten after the season he had. Players should not be discredited or have their individual accomplishments marked down just because the team they play on is bad.

I'm not going to list a top 10 but my top 3 from last season would have been.........

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Tom Brady
3. David Johnson
Old 27.06.2017, 04:52 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus corax View Post
Utterly ridiculous that David Johnson is not in the top ten after the season he had. Players should not be discredited or have their individual accomplishments marked down just because the team they play on is bad.

I'm not going to list a top 10 but my top 3 from last season would have been.........

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Tom Brady
3. David Johnson
It is a very weird list though isn't it. I'm not convinced everyone approaches it in the same way.

Like you say David Johnson had over 2100 yards from scrimmage! OBjr probably had the 'worst' season of his short career.

Dak at 14 is a stretch too. The Cowboys offence was set up for success. He was a part of it, a good part, but 14?
Old 27.06.2017, 05:14 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
It is a very weird list though isn't it. I'm not convinced everyone approaches it in the same way.

Like you say David Johnson had over 2100 yards from scrimmage! OBjr probably had the 'worst' season of his short career.

Dak at 14 is a stretch too. The Cowboys offence was set up for success. He was a part of it, a good part, but 14?
Seems to me there is little doubt that different people approach the list in different ways. I'm sure some people just vote for who the best player is overall(this would explain people like Adrian Peterson making the list in years where they didn't play) while others vote for who they think performed best in the past season. Given that the list is done on an annual basis, my own view is that the list should be based on the previous season's performance.

Which 100% means David Johnson should be in the top 10. How can a guy who put up over 2100yds from scrimmage and scored 20 TDs(!) not be in the top 10 players in the league? It's absurd. Odell Beckham being ranked above Johnson shows just how much media hype plays a role in what people's perception of a player's performance is. OBJ is undoubtedly a huge talent but no way in hell did he outperform David Johnson last season.

I agree with you about Dak Prescott too. He is over-rated at #14. But Dallas Cowboys QB's are prone to being over-rated or over-criticised. So although I strongly disagree with Prescott being that high, it doesn't surprise me all that much that he is.
Old 27.06.2017, 05:55 PM
Pro Bowler

My brief views:

Rodgers should be higher, Top 2 or 3.
David Johnson should be no.1 RB. Close between Bell and Elliot for 2 and 3.
Beckham as 3rd best WR is correct. Definitely didnt play better in 2017 than Brown or Jones.
Would say both Miller and Mack are slightly over-ranked.
Old 20.07.2017, 07:45 AM
Rookie

I'd have Bell above Zeke and Julio above Miller personally
Old 20.07.2017, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

I'm confused.

Is this a top 10 players in the NFL "period"? Or last year? Either way it makes no sense.

And are we talking "pound for pound" or giving positional value additional weight?

My top 10 (pound for pound - "period" ranking)
1. JJ Watt
2. Aaron Donald
3. Luke Keuchly
4. Julio Jones
5. Khalil Mack
6. Von Miller
7. Tom Brady
8. Aaron Rodgers
9. LeVeon Bell
10. Antonio Brown

If positional value becomes a factor then no RB would be close, and Brady/Rodgers are 1a and 1b.

If it's based on last season...
1. Tom Brady
2. Matt Ryan
3. Khalil Mack
4. Aaron Donald
5. Julio Jones
6. Mike Evans
7. Von Miller
8. AAron Rodgers
9. Le'Veon Bell
10. Bobby Wagner
Old 20.07.2017, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

The NFL Network Top 100 Players of 2017.

http://www.nfl.com/network/top100

As chosen by the players themselves.
Old 20.07.2017, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

I think David Johnson had a good year. But I can't have a back who I think is an marginally above average runner as a top 10. I think we obsess over the numbers. But the numbers simply indicate he was used a lot and was successful. When we're comparing the best, it has to be about excellence.

Johnson is undeniably a great receiving back. One of the best I've seen. But as a runner there were guys who massively outperformed him last year. Le'Veon Bell is just something else. He's a joy to watch, and for me is the best in the NFL by a solid distance. Zeke was amazing as a rookie. He runs with such power and I love how he gained so much yardage based on him violently falling forwards.

After those two, I think Jordan Howard was the next. He was brilliant. Regardless of my being a Bears fan, I would take him over Johnson, simply because my RB has to be the best "runner" he can be. Having a receiving back is nice, but it's not essential. You can and should have that skill elsewhere on your roster.

I also feel RBs tend to do well as pass catchers in vertical schemes. See Bell in Pittsburgh and Johnson in Arizona. The WRs running such deep routes clears out so much space for a shifty guy to work more effectively.

Before, all the Johnson fans get annoyed. I would point out that we're comparing the best of the best at each spot. Is Johnson a very, very good player? Of course. Would he be in my top 20? I think he probably would. But I think top 10 is perhaps a bit strong.