The Ravens Thread - Page 61 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Baltimore Ravens

Old 22.11.2015, 09:45 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus corax View Post
Joe Flacco done for the year. Our top 5 pick is secure.
Might have torn his ACL and MCL apparently so he may miss the start of next season as well.
Old 22.11.2015, 09:47 PM
All Pro

Typical of our season, Forsett's done as well
Old 22.11.2015, 09:51 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12XU View Post
Might have torn his ACL and MCL apparently so he may miss the start of next season as well.
Ah ffs.
Old 22.11.2015, 11:17 PM
All Pro

Well isn't it just the story of our season!
Old 23.11.2015, 04:35 AM
Rookie

Hey guys

I used to regularly visit the form a few years back, but after immigrating down under stopped visiting as often.

Having watched the abysmal effort of the Ravens this year I felt drawn back. I wanted to know if everyone else was as disappointed with the effort and discipline they see on a weekly basis. Have checked through the old threads on the Ravens page and it seems a lot of you mirror my thoughts.

Nothing really new to add to the discussion at this point but just kind of wanted to get my first post out of the way since signing up again.
Old 23.11.2015, 07:23 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgson.gareth View Post
Hey guys

I used to regularly visit the form a few years back, but after immigrating down under stopped visiting as often.

Having watched the abysmal effort of the Ravens this year I felt drawn back. I wanted to know if everyone else was as disappointed with the effort and discipline they see on a weekly basis. Have checked through the old threads on the Ravens page and it seems a lot of you mirror my thoughts.

Nothing really new to add to the discussion at this point but just kind of wanted to get my first post out of the way since signing up again.
Welcome back.

I don't think effort has really been a problem this year. The team have played hard. The trouble is they're just not very good. Especially on offense. We are seriously lacking talent in the offensive skill positions. Justin Forsett is a journeyman, nothing more. Our only good WR was 36 and has now retired. Little wonder we have struggled on that side of the ball this year.

On Defense we never fixed our most glaring weakness, the secondary. Which is unforgivable really since Ozzie Newsome promised that part of the team would be addressed. If we'd had even a half decent secondary last year we would have beat the Patriots in the play-offs and could quite conceivably have gone on to win the Superbowl. How did we go about fixing it? We signed Kyle Arrington and Kendrick Lewis. If that's fixing the secondary then I'm a Dutchman. Kendrick Lewis is terrible. Arrington hasn't done much either.

When you look at the roster overall it's really not all that surprising we've struggled. Especially when you take into account the number of injuries we've had. We've been absolutely snake bitten on that front this year.

I don't really care if we win any more games from this point on. The higher we can pick in the draft the better. We need to get Flacco's contract restructured then get a good, solid draft under our belts. We've whiffed on too many first round picks in recent times, we mustn't do it again next year. Having a top 5 pick would be a golden opportunity for us. If we draft well and plug a few holes then I think we can be a force again next year.

Last edited by Corvus corax; 23.11.2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 23.11.2015, 04:11 PM
Starter

Quote:
Hey guys

I don't question the effort but the discipline has been awful. Very unlike a Harbaugh team to be so ill disciplined.
Old 23.11.2015, 09:56 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Joe Flacco done for the year. Our top 5 pick is secure.
I'll be amazed if we don't have the #1 pick now.
Old 24.11.2015, 04:43 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Welcome back.

I don't think effort has really been a problem this year. The team have played hard. The trouble is they're just not very good. Especially on offense. We are seriously lacking talent in the offensive skill positions. Justin Forsett is a journeyman, nothing more. Our only good WR was 36 and has now retired. Little wonder we have struggled on that side of the ball this year.

On Defense we never fixed our most glaring weakness, the secondary. Which is unforgivable really since Ozzie Newsome promised that part of the team would be addressed. If we'd had even a half decent secondary last year we would have beat the Patriots in the play-offs and could quite conceivably have gone on to win the Superbowl. How did we go about fixing it? We signed Kyle Arrington and Kendrick Lewis. If that's fixing the secondary then I'm a Dutchman. Kendrick Lewis is terrible. Arrington hasn't done much either.

When you look at the roster overall it's really not all that surprising we've struggled. Especially when you take into account the number of injuries we've had. We've been absolutely snake bitten on that front this year.

I don't really care if we win any more games from this point on. The higher we can pick in the draft the better. We need to get Flacco's contract restructured then get a good, solid draft under our belts. We've whiffed on too many first round picks in recent times, we mustn't do it again next year. Having a top 5 pick would be a golden opportunity for us. If we draft well and plug a few holes then I think we can be a force again next year.
It just feels like I have been watching a lot of blown coverage’s and missed tackles from our defence in the first half of the season (I would love to see some stats and know how we’re stacking up in something like ‘missed tackles’ compared to previous years).

I have been putting this down to lack of effort but you might have a point, our current line-up might simply not be good enough.

I don’t want you to think I had unreasonable expectations this season. I’m well aware of how hard we’ve been hit with injuries. I guess I’m just a little disappointed at how few players are actually stepping up and excelling.

Roll on 2017.
Old 24.11.2015, 02:41 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens55 View Post
I'll be amazed if we don't have the #1 pick now.
I dunno if we'll quite manage that. I'd say by putting Kaepernick on IR, and going ahead with Blaine Gabbert as their starting QB, the 49ers have declared their intention to have the #1 pick. lol

Quote:
It just feels like I have been watching a lot of blown coverage’s and missed tackles from our defence in the first half of the season (I would love to see some stats and know how we’re stacking up in something like ‘missed tackles’ compared to previous years).

I have been putting this down to lack of effort but you might have a point, our current line-up might simply not be good enough.

I don’t want you to think I had unreasonable expectations this season. I’m well aware of how hard we’ve been hit with injuries. I guess I’m just a little disappointed at how few players are actually stepping up and excelling.

Roll on 2017.
Hey, I wouldn't blame you at all if you had expectations coming into this season. I thought we'd be about an 8-8 team myself. I certainly did not see this car crash unfolding.

When I look at the bigger picture I just think what we're seeing now is the end result of winning the Superbowl. It's been death by a thousand cuts for us ever since then. The talent drain from our roster has been huge. Really, go back over the past three off seasons and look at all the players we've lost. It's frightening. I thought it was quite remarkable that we were so close to going all the way again last year while we were basically rebuilding on the fly.

The good thing is I think we've pretty much bottomed out now. There's not a heck of a lot more talent for us to lose and our cap situation gets better from here on(I believe?). So things should get better. We really do need to sit down with Joe Flacco and restructure his contract though, the numbers involved in that thing from next year onwards are just silly.

Even despite all the losses we've had, we're still not the Titans or the Browns. We haven't sunk that low. There's enough talent left on our roster(especially in the trenches) that we can be competitive again next year if we do things right this off season. A good draft, a couple of useful free agent signings and perhaps a new co-ordinator or two() and we'll be back in the mix again next year. I truly believe that.

Last edited by Corvus corax; 24.11.2015 at 02:45 PM.