O-line - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New York Jets

Old 11.03.2015, 10:39 PM
Starter

Default O-line

Anyone else wanting rid of Giacomini, hes penalties last year were costly. Hope to hell we can improve big time at tackle.

Don't really feel I can complain much about our off season acquisitions but if I were to it would be that we didn't acquire Iupati or Bulaga. Not any top drawer O-lineman projected to got at 6 but I hope we pick a diamond in the rough to replace Breno!

On a side note, we went from 80/1 to 66/1 to win the SB since Monday
Old 11.03.2015, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

I think Carpenter will be an upgrade at Guard over Colon (who gave up countless holding penalties last season). Mangold is at least a top 3 Center and Ferguson is solid enough at LT (even if he hasn't quite lived up to expectations). Brandon Scherff would be a nice fit in the Draft as he could start at either Guard or Right Tackle imo.

If we were going to go down that route, we should be able to trade down a few places, gain an extra pick or two and still get him. I think OL will be a fair way down our list of priorities with our first pick though. I still think we go for Mariota if he's there, otherwise it will most likely be one of the top pass rushers or one of the top 2 WRs (Cooper or White) imo...
Old 11.03.2015, 11:25 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
I think Carpenter will be an upgrade at Guard over Colon (who gave up countless holding penalties last season). Mangold is at least a top 3 Center and Ferguson is solid enough at LT (even if he hasn't quite lived up to expectations). Brandon Scherff would be a nice fit in the Draft as he could start at either Guard or Right Tackle imo.

If we were going to go down that route, we should be able to trade down a few places, gain an extra pick or two and still get him. I think OL will be a fair way down our list of priorities with our first pick though. I still think we go for Mariota if he's there, otherwise it will most likely be one of the top pass rushers or one of the top 2 WRs (Cooper or White) imo...
Yeah I agree, D'Brick worried me a little last year though, not enough to me make me freak out tbf.
I think no matter what we should always just take who we think is the best player left

I would like to take Cooper, he really impressed me in the game against Ohio State, what do you think our top priority is? I don't see the point in taking a QB unless its late rounds or Mariota.

I hope we don't take a DB... Dee Milliner and Calvin Pryor have been a little disappointing and worst case scenario id rather be disappointed with a different position 1st round draft pick
Old 11.03.2015, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mariota and Jameis Winston are the only two QBs in this Draft seen as long term starters in the NFL. Winston's going to the Bucs at #1 so Mariota's the only option. If he's gone, I don't see the point of taking a QB at all. A lot of "experts" have us taking a pass rusher with our first pick.

I wasn't that keen to start with (we always seem to go Defense with our first pick), but I'm starting to warm to the idea. There's 3 or 4 players that would fit in as a 3-4 OLB who are all potential top #10 picks, at least two of them will be there when we pick.

It's very likely that at least one of Amari Cooper and Kevin White will be available. Wouldn't mind either of them but I'm not sure we'll see it as a priority. As I said previously, trading down to gain an extra pick or two and taking Brandon Scherff wouldn't be a bad move as he can play Guard or Tackle in the NFL imo.

Really don't see us taking a DB after yesterday's events, as well as the possible arrivals of Antonio Cromartie and Marcus Gilchrist. If Mariota's there, I think he will be our pick. If not, I'd be happy with any of the options I mentioned above.

We need to add a RB to replace Chris Johnson. It's a deep Draft class at the position so we should be able to get a decent one in the 2nd or 3rd round.
Old 12.03.2015, 08:53 AM
Starter

I don't know enough about the depth in this years draft beyond the hyped 1st round picks. But from what i understand I would be most happy with a Pass Rusher which I think would put our front 7 over the top.

I am pretty happy with a Decker/Marshall/Amaro/JK spread and the likes of Hakim, Graham Cumberland and Sudfeld are admirably backups for specific plays etc.

The fact we are not linked with any RB in FA (despite the initial lazy Spiller/Gailey media hype) and resigned Powell makes me think he will slot back into the 2nd down RB and we will look to draft our 3rd RB.

OL is definately our weak link though. Winters should be released as soon as humanly possible, glad Colon has gone and Ferguson was starting to show cracks (although I think they could still be healed with better players around him). I don't know enough about Carpenter to know if he is an upgrade or not and coming of injury is a bit of a risk. Personally I like Aboushi and think he can play his way into a starting slot this year then definately think if there is draft stock available in Round 2/3 we pull the trigger.
Old 12.03.2015, 01:32 PM
All Pro

Brick has one year to get back to something like his best. He's not all-pro material but is still good. It is long term need, but so are most positions.

I assume Carpenter will play LG. He looks better as a pass blocker. This will help Brick out and I wouldn't be surprised for the 2 of them to really solidify this side of the line when we pass, but both struggle to open holes in the run game. Mangold is a star and Freeman a decent backup.

That leaves the right side of the line. At present you have to assume that Breno sticks at tackle. He's not terrible, but not good either. Then we have effectively 4 guys battling for one position - Dozier red shirted, we nabbed a guy (Johnson?) from the Steelers mid-year, Winters who looks a bust (it happens) and Aboushi who looked OK when he came in. Aboushi seems more comfortable run blocking than pass blocking so he seems a more natural fit at RG so he would be favourite to land the job at this point.

Brick, Carpenter, Mangold, Aboushi, Breno sure isn't a great line but it isn't a massive hole either. Personally I think our line was better that a lot of people gave it credit for last year. We did well creating holes to run but struggled to pass block. We've upgraded the latter and hopefully not downgraded the former too much. If we get a decent draft pick then great we can develop them as necessary - be it a tackle displacing Breno for a year or a guard to add into the mix. Breno has previously played guard I believe so that is another option.
Old 12.03.2015, 04:35 PM
All Pro

Colon resigned. Shows what we know!
Old 12.03.2015, 04:52 PM
Starter

I hope he (Colon) signed on Veteran minimum. Even more looking like we go QB/LB then RB In the draft!
Old 14.03.2015, 10:50 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2312 View Post
I hope he (Colon) signed on Veteran minimum. Even more looking like we go QB/LB then RB In the draft!
Colon is on vet minimum so he may not even make the final 53. Carpenter will be a starter and an upgrade over 2014 Colon but I don't thinks he's particularly a good player.

Giacomini is kind of a similar. He's okay to average and you can survive with those kind of guys if the rest of the line is good. However apart from Mangold we don't have any other stud linemen. I still like Aboushi, he could grow into a decent guard. As you've all mentioned d'brick seems to be on the downside of his career and Breno is men.

I would be quite happy to draft an o-linemen at 6, especially if he can replace D'brick in 2016.