Four NFL London Games to be played in 2019 - Page 4 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Old 31.10.2018, 11:54 AM
Pro

does the wembley contract end next year or does that still have some years to go
Old 31.10.2018, 01:10 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
We still have less than half the teams in the league who have given up a home game - and that's including the Cardinals from Mexico 2005. Most of those who haven't already clearly don't want to and won't unless forced. A lot of those are teams who will never host a Super Bowl (Green Bay, Pittsburgh, New England, Baltimore etc) unless there is a radical rethink on that. Once we get the Raiders, Rams and Chargers into their new homes in the next 2 years or so, there are no new stadiums on the horizon. Given only one team hosts the Super Bowl each year, that suggests we are going to have a real shortage of 'home' teams for IS games - certainly not enough for 4 per year or whatever. So they will either need to come up with some way to force teams into it or look to move onto the next stage of a franchise or let it decline.

I reckon the Panthers might have an obligation under the terms of the sale, at least once. The Bengals could probably be persuaded what with their poor attendances. There will always be the Jags. But it's not getting to 3-4 games per year plus 1 in Mexico.
The Bills new stadium has been kicked down the road (as there is very little demand locally for it) so that rules out another candidate, and having given up more home games to International games than any other team in the league I doubt they will be pushed to be a London home team
Old 31.10.2018, 01:33 PM
MVP

Every year... same people posting as if they know the rules and no the inner workings of the negotiations, every year we get the match ups. Unless they had four games pencilled in (id imagine they have more and its a case of deciding which for this year) they wouldn't be signing these long term deals. The owners and NFL will be working together, they know some teams have stadium deals that don't allow it, others are against it, and then lots seem for it.

Its not doooooooomed like its being made out here. Money talks and the IS is making money. NFL will juggle it and throw money at teams where it needs.

I don't think for the NFL management side they have any set rules in their head (other than the ones we all know about) and one team coming over 2 times in one year is possible (home and away) but I'll bet they want to avoid it where possible.

I'd imagine to get the Packers over they will do something like bribe a team wanting to host super bowl.... eventually... if they cant get it done.

I have a feeling in my socks that Packers are coming this year though. I think all three that haven't been will come, as from a marketing tool... that's a nice competition to say.. Every team has been to Wembley... the NFL is committed blah blah blah. They love a sound bite and that's an awesome one.
Old 31.10.2018, 02:18 PM
Pro

Quote:
Do away teams get any say? I'm sure I read 2 years ago or so that the Packers were dead against going even as an away team so they might not want to go. The Ravens also suggested they wouldn't be coming back after last year's hammering, so perhaps they can veto it. Certainly if I'm the Chargers I'd prefer a game against the Packers in London having seen the LA Rams game last week.
i dont think they can do, perhaps they may be accomodated but i dont believe any team has right to veto
i say this because games have been announced with TBC before (cant remember who it was but was team x vs NFC north equivalent) type thing.
whoever finished in applicable position in division was coming over, end of story
Old 31.10.2018, 02:23 PM
Pro

Quote:
Indeed. See Chargers last year.
chargers didnt confirm move until after games where announced. every other team, in every other season that they have been in temp stadium, has given up a game and will continue to do so

it will be interesting when LA and LV stadiums are settled in, as they are providing 3 'volunteers' every year at the moment
Old 31.10.2018, 02:25 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
He isn't. They only apply rules if they don't get volunteers.

Furthermore, the Raiders aren't in a temporary stadium. There is no rule to get them to come over. They are simply moving.
from the moment relocation is approved, until such a time as the team moves in full time to the approved stadium, they are deemed to be in temporary stadium. so, yes, oakland is currently, in the leagues eyes, in a temporary stadium. the lease on which runs out this year and they are currently homeless
Old 31.10.2018, 04:54 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TartanJag View Post
games have been announced with TBC before (cant remember who it was but was team x vs NFC north equivalent) type thing.
It was 2016. I remember because the Redskins had already been announced as playing the Bengals. And the Rams were booked to play an NFC East team - which meant the Redskins had a chance of having to come over twice in one season. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...dule-announced
Old 31.10.2018, 07:03 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbirder2 View Post
It was 2016. I remember because the Redskins had already been announced as playing the Bengals. And the Rams were booked to play an NFC East team - which meant the Redskins had a chance of having to come over twice in one season. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...dule-announced
yep that's the one, remember it now. was actually quite exciting in a way not knowing and following the division a bit to see who it would be
Old 31.10.2018, 10:19 PM
Pro

Good that we have four games to look forwards to next year, any hints on when the dates etc are likely to be announced?
Old 31.10.2018, 10:56 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohamed7 View Post
Divv3k, thanks for the link, I was looking for it myself because I was sure I had read about this before, hence why I was so adamant on my stance.

As malcy93 already pointed out, the NFL have an agreement with Spurs to play at least two games per year in London for the next 10 years. Not only do Spurs have massive financial clauses in place to protect them from any scenario in which the NFL may renege on their contractual obligations - the NFL itself contributed millions of dollars towards Spurs' new ground which has been designed and constructed with NFL requirements in mind.

In my opinion, the NFL will eventually come up with a system where - in the absence of volunteers - teams are drawn at random to give up home games and they'll be forced to do so. It's not a disaster for the teams, giving up 1 home game every 5 years at most is not exactly destructive. Make no mistake about it, the NFL International series is here to stay. The NFL is a money-making machine and money trumps all else, we know that. The opportunity to have an extra TV broadcast window (9.30am EST in the U.S for London games) is extremely lucrative for the NFL and their broadcast partners. The International Series is a gigantic revenue generator and I just don't see an end in sight.
OK, but that's 2 games. And for a time, the Jags are agreeing to play a game at Wembley (but that deal doesn't run for 10 years).

I'm sure they aren't thinking about pulling the IS. But I wonder about the long-term viability of neutral matchups. For now, it is working, that's for certain. Maybe it always will. My opinion is that this will require continual generating of new fans as I think a lot of established fans will tire of neutral games eventually. Once the novelty of "oh wow, a game" wears off, most people want to watch their own team. Which is exactly how more mature sports in the UK are. If I have a spare ticket for Spurs-Chelsea, I'm not going to get a Man Utd or Arsenal fan to take it just because they like football and it's a professional game nearish to their house. We had season tickets since the beginning for the NFL in London but our group (all big and long-term NFL fans) is now over showing up 3 times in 3 weeks to watch games of teams we don't care about, especially if it means missing your own team on Gamepass or Sky. I went to 1 game out of 3 this year, which I chose solely because it was in the Steelers bye week. Got tickets 1 week beforehand at a price I was happy with; wouldn't have gone if had to pay a lot more, and would have been fine with that. Had a great afternoon out with some friends. Would be up for the same thing next year. But I'm no longer willing to do it multiple times in a few weeks or miss my own team's games. I live 8 miles from Wembley but there is no doubt now, 20-odd neutral games in, I'd prefer watching Steelers-Bengals on TV than Seahawks-Raiders in London. I don't think I'm alone in that. And that's fine if there are new fans there to pick up the slack, and new fans to replace those fans once they decide not to attend every game. I guess that's the challenge. There is overwhelming evidence that fans stick with sport more if they have a rooting interest. That's why I think the Jaguars are doing it the right way. The ongoing random matchups though I'm less sure about.