the BENGALS thread - Page 290 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Cincinnati Bengals

Sponsored Links

Old 23.03.2013, 07:00 PM
Pro Bowler

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...5-d0840de4a3ea

Nooooo waaaay.

A man with a LONGEST return of 32 yards, yes THIRTY TWO yards. A guy who NEVER looked like he was EVER going to break a long one to paydirt. I was crying for Adam Jones to return both punts and kicks last season and whenever I saw Tate back there.. I thought 'oh no!' He doesn't break out of tackles nor use the blocks to his advantage, lack of vision but not only that on offense he's average at best. Marvin Jones and Mo Sanu kicked his behind. He had 13 receptions and ONE touchdown.
Signing our own players has got a little silly. I'm a massive fan of continuity, I really am, it's how championships are won, but the Bengals wouldn't have needed to spend a lot of money to upgrade what Tate offered last season... I am shaking my head.

WHY?????
Sponsored Links
Old 23.03.2013, 08:46 PM
Pro

I second that sentiment. Brandon Tate is clearly an honest, hard-working player, but he just doesn't belong at an aspiring side.
Old 23.03.2013, 08:50 PM
All Pro

Thought I remembered Johnson was a wildcat QB when he came out, so perhaps he's a possible for read option. Seems that's what fans are thinking on cincy jungle also. Decent signing anyway.

Overall, spent 34 mil now, 10 for next season, 12 or so to find a home for.
Old 23.03.2013, 09:20 PM
MVP

My thoughts on Josh Johnson are that he provides an interesting potential for sub-packages, with more of a passing threat than Sanu would have been. However, he's not the kind of back-up quarterback I'd be looking for if Dalton had an injury. Gradkowski was what he was, but I think he could have kept things ticking over for a couple of games if Dalton got hurt. I don't have the same confidence in Johnson.

My hope is that we draft a kid in the mid-late rounds and have him compete with Robinson for the back-up spot with Johnson playing a role as a sub-package quarterback.
Old 25.03.2013, 09:31 AM
Team Captain

Dalton ran the option/read at TCU and was very successful (1600 yards rushing or something like that), you don't need to bring in a guy just to run it. Nor do you waste a roster spot on a sub-package Quarterback, even Miami didn't do that with Pat White and they'd wasted a 2nd round pick on him.

He's a bit of a project; fast, has a live arm. One of those players where the sum of the parts is fewer than the individual parts. He's untapped really, came into a bad situation at the Bucs and was 0-5 with a bad team, new HC came in and drafted Freeman in the 1st round, he went to 49ers with Harbaugh who coached him in college, but was stuck behind Smith/Kaepernick and then went to the Browns too late in the season to really show anything or learn the offense entirely.

Not worried about Tate, a 1-year contract doesn't affect draft strategy nor does it guarantee a roster spot. I don't like him either but 13th/18th best PR/KR average shows that he's by no means the worst guy in the world. He's another option, we currently have 4 receivers locked in; Green, Sanu, Hawkins, Jones - they've already hinted at drafting one at some point which leaves you with one more roster spot for Tate/Whalen/Sanzenbacher/Others to fight for. I wouldn't pencil him in just yet.

Cap situation is still healthy as it doesn't account for the fact we can cut Wharton, Allen & Clements at any time, those three account for $10m-$15m.
Old 26.03.2013, 10:08 AM
Team Captain

Vollmer signed with Patriots for 4 years, $27 million. If we can get Andre for something similar, that would be tremendous. $7m a year max, maybe 16 guaranteed. Gives you a cap number of about 6ish a year. Good.

Saw Geoff Hobson birng up Gio Bernard's name on Twitter yesterday....WANT. 2nd round. Really any of Lacy, Bernard, Franklin, Ellington and I'd be ecstatic. Grab someone like Maysonet/Stacy/Michael/Graham as well later on and I'd need peeling off the ceiling.

Zac Stacy is the next Ray Rice, mark it down.
Old 26.03.2013, 04:27 PM
Pro Bowler

We need a Matt Elam...

Problem is that he's not a first rounder and probably sits above the Bengals pick in the second round.

Forget about his height.... it's the ONLY reason he might not be picked up as the first safety picked. More importantly this guy is a playmaker...something thats been lacking at safety for a long time in Cincinnati.

Last edited by Bengalsman; 26.03.2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: addition
Old 26.03.2013, 06:56 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsman View Post
We need a Matt Elam...

Problem is that he's not a first rounder and probably sits above the Bengals pick in the second round.

Forget about his height.... it's the ONLY reason he might not be picked up as the first safety picked. More importantly this guy is a playmaker...something thats been lacking at safety for a long time in Cincinnati.
The only reason other than Kenny Vaccro being vastly superior.
Old 26.03.2013, 07:57 PM
Pro Bowler

Vaccaro I'll grant you is fast and a good tackler. However Elam seems to have the ability to come off the edge better on blitzes, support run defense somewhat better. He pentrates offensive backfields better in my opinion. As I said in my earlier post a bigger big play kind of guy, perhaps a game changer.
Obviously it's an opinion thing. One of the most sought after coming out of high school, elevated it to another level in college, this guys attitude seems humble as well.
However if the Bengals went with Vaccaro cos Elam wasn't there I would take it, but Vaccaro is likely to go before Elam, ... as I said purely cos he's 6'1.

Looking back over highlights of the two you'll notice that Vaccaro has good closing speed to make the tackle. Elam has that quickness but he seems to be already in the spot where he needs to be to make the tackle.

Last edited by Bengalsman; 26.03.2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 26.03.2013, 10:19 PM
Pro Bowler

Interesting piece about Vince Young on the NFL website.

Can't help but think that with his hunger and Cincinnati's reputation of being able to make serviceable players out of players with chips on their shoulders that he would be a far better option than Josh Johnson right now.

Not a lot of people know this but his record ain't as bad as you might think as a starter - 31-19 for his career.

Anyone who might be afraid of him destabilizing Andy Dalton.... remember competition is how you make yourself a better player!