A few questions about London 2017 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Sponsored Links

Old 04.02.2017, 05:49 PM
Rookie

Default A few questions about London 2017

Hello Guys,

I've bought 2 tickets for the Saints vs Dolphins game next october and I'm really looking forward to it!
It's gonna be my first trip to a NFL game I'm going to go with a friend and we are going to be 17 by then. So that's why I've got a few questions about London and some UK Laws (We are from Germany)

1. When you buy a Bundesliga (soccer 1st divison) ticket, they already include the fee for public transportation (bus subway etc.). Is it the same with these tickets?

2. We are arriving saturday morning and leaving on monday evening. We are flying with ryanair to London Stansted & we are staying in a hotel near St. Pauls cathedral. We will go with Stansted Express to Liverpool street. From then on we will have to go with the tube. Should we buy an oyster card or a travelcard? We just wanna do a little bit of sightseeing (Big Ben, Buckingham Palace etc.)

3. How are the laws about pubs & beer? From which age on are we allowed to buy and drink beer? And are we allowed to go in a pub?

We are thankful for every answer! And see you in London 2017
Sponsored Links
Old 04.02.2017, 06:10 PM
All Pro

1. No, you'll need to get it seperately. Easiest thing to do is a get an oyster card, a paper card may be cheaper for 1 day, but its more hassle and an oyster card can be used again and again.

2. If you get an oyster card it will automatically stop taking money from it when it reaches the limit for a 1 day travelcard, you wont need to buy a specific day travel card

3. Drink at 18, and they'll ID check you if you look borderline in age, even into your 20s they'll check now. Most pubs will let people younger in, but obviously not drinking.

One thought, if you are both 17, have you checked your hotel will allow 2 people to check in without an adult? Hotels often have rules about those sorts of thing.

Last edited by BuffaloG; 04.02.2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04.02.2017, 06:18 PM
Pro Bowler

1. No, there are no transportation fees included in the match ticket. The cost of the ticket is the entrance fee.

2. Oyster card is probably the best bet. The tube fares are cheaper when using one and you can you them on the buses. The buses do not accept cash money. If you have a contactless bank card or Apple pay you can use these to pay your transport fares. (hopefully a Londoner on here can confirm this?)

3. Without knowing your age im guessing you or your mate (or both) are in your teens.
The drinking age in the UK is 18. You can stand/order non-alcoholic drinks at a bar without an adult from 13, which is unlikely to apply to you i would guess.
You should be able to go in most pubs without an ID check, although if there is a doorman they may ask for it as some place operate on checking age at the door rather than the bar.
Its policy in most pubs and shops that if you look under the age of 25 you may be asked for ID (even if you are 30 with a couple of kids doing your weekly food shopping )

Hope you and your mate enjoy your trip and the game
Old 04.02.2017, 08:51 PM
MVP

1. I used to love it when I lived in Germany that we could travel to the game for no extra cost on local public transport. I doubt anyone here has even thought about that.

2. If you have a contactless Visa, Mastercard, Maestro or Amex card I suggest you do this rather than get an oyster card. Simply hold your credit or debit card over the scanner when you enter and exit the tube station (only when you enter for the bus). You can also use Apple Pay (I don't know about Samsung or Android as I have an iPhone). You get all the benefit of daily price caps on travel without needing to load money onto an oyster card, pay a deposit on the oyster card etc. No need to register or do anything - they money gets taken out of your bank, and there is no money wasted at the end of your visit or card you need to save for next time. Foreign cards do work provided they are of the types listed above - e.g. no EC Karte. And if for some reason it does not work, you can always buy an Oyster Card instead as Plan B. Take it from a Londoner: contactless is the way forward.

3. We don't differentiate between beer and other alcohol here. I know in Germany beer is 16 but here everything is 18 and you can expect most places to ask for ID. So it might be difficult.

One comment on sightseeing: you can often walk and see a lot of interesting things on the way rather than take the underground. London is always a lot more tiring when you are constantly on the underground and changing stations and going up and down the escalators and fighting with the crowds. Walking is free and less stressful. From St Pauls for example you can easily cross the river and see the main sights across the water. St Pauls is a nice area but mostly offices so apart from near the cathedral don't be surprised if a lot of the shops/cafes nearby are closed as it is really a Monday-Friday place and few people live there. One New Change is a small shopping centre but it has some very good restaurants upstairs that are still open (and less crowded!) on Saturdays.
Old 05.02.2017, 07:10 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
1. I used to love it when I lived in Germany that we could travel to the game for no extra cost on local public transport. I doubt anyone here has even thought about that.
They did it for the Olympics in London, you got free travel the same day. I'm a bit surprised there wasn't more push for it for other events afterwards
Old 05.02.2017, 10:05 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
They did it for the Olympics in London, you got free travel the same day. I'm a bit surprised there wasn't more push for it for other events afterwards
Part of it is probably that it is more difficult to coordinate here. Certainly when I lived in Germany - maybe now too - public transport operated on a trust based system. There were no gates, you just got on and off. There were random plain clothes ticket checks and they always caught so many people whenever I saw them (which was not often). Far easier to show the occasional inspector a game ticket and them to say 'OK' than coordinate with TFL and all the various venues about barcodes or scanning chips that get you through tube security barriers.
Old 05.02.2017, 12:59 PM
Pro

It's also worth having a look on the home office or uk border website for travel to the UK if you're under 18
Old 05.02.2017, 02:16 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
Part of it is probably that it is more difficult to coordinate here. Certainly when I lived in Germany - maybe now too - public transport operated on a trust based system. There were no gates, you just got on and off. There were random plain clothes ticket checks and they always caught so many people whenever I saw them (which was not often). Far easier to show the occasional inspector a game ticket and them to say 'OK' than coordinate with TFL and all the various venues about barcodes or scanning chips that get you through tube security barriers.
With London 2012 you got a day pass for TFL. Can't remember which zones, but I was staying outside zone 1 and it was covered, zones 1-6 I think it was.

I guess the cost to NFL of a day pass for everyone £8 or whatever it is these days outweighs the perceived benefits

Tags
dolphins , saints , tube