I've almost picked my team... - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > New to the NFL?

Sponsored Links

Old 28.08.2012, 11:14 PM
Pro

Default I've almost picked my team...

Hi all,

So I've been absent from the forum for a good long while, but in that time I've been whittling down my teams and I've almos picked my team from 3.

My highest percentage is for the Miami Dolphins - out of 100% I would say about 60-65%. My main reasons are that I've known about their existence from when I first saw Ace Ventura in 1994 as a kid and I have a number of other reasons such as being a shorter plane journey if I ever wanted to see them, they have some hall of fame greats such as Marino and ascetic wise I do like the kit.

However, the remainder is split between 2 teams - New York Jets and Green Bay Packers.

I've liked the Jets since I watched the Monday Night Miracle and like the Dolphins, are a shortish Plane journey if I ever got a chance to see a match.

The Packers I have an admiration for in the sense that they are a fan owned and not for profit team - and they strike me as a team that invests in the future. However, I have seen less of their games and what holds me back is that I don't want to be labelled as a glory chaser (Although I only found out their history recently after already being interested in them).

Those of you who have picked your teams, did you ever have a yearning towards one team out of a few? If I pick the Dolphins for example, what can I expect?

And also with the Packers, are they a glory chasers haven - if they're supported, do you automatically get classed as ignorant of all the teams?

I originally had about 8 teams I liked so I've streamlined heavily but am in the final now (so to speak).

Cheers all!
Sponsored Links
Old 29.08.2012, 10:21 AM
Pro Bowler

Hello mate,

I always take an interest in these threads because I appreciate the process you go through in finding the right team - I am choosing from 3 at the moment but that's for another thread.

At the end of the day all teams have millions of fans, you only need to look at each team's facebook page to see this. The lesser supported teams are the newer teams but eventually they will be successful and pick up support too.

The point I'm trying to make is that every team is a bandwagon at one time or another. That doesn't mean that all supporters are bandwagoners however. As long as you have personal reasons for choosing a team then it really doesn't matter what people label you as - you've got to start supporting a team at some point and more often than not it's because that team has grabbed your attention, most likely for the way they play the game.

You'll probably hear it a thousand times, but go with your heart. Miami and New York are both relatively easy journeys but I wouldn't let that sway you unless you plan on visiting often. If your heart picks out Green Bay, then you shouldnt let their success put you off as they won't be at the top forever.

Similarly you could argue that both the Jets and Dolphins are a bandwagon right now....the Jets with Tebow and coming off the back of Hard Knocks, and the Dolphins who are currently in the spotlight of Hard Knocks. Incidentally, check the series out as it could push you to one team or the other.

Ultimately, it's your decision and you have to be happy with whoever you choose.

As for the Dolphins right now, I would say they are very slowly on their way up after a troubled period. Their front office is under scrutiny (although I can't claim to be an expert on what's going on). They are a storied franchise though known for their perfect season, they have had superbowl success, they are an iconic team and also had one of the greatest QB's to their name. Also you'll find plenty of Dolphins followers in the UK so you'll always have a decent forum and local supporters.

Just my opinion, I hope it helps.

Last edited by colonelp; 29.08.2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 29.08.2012, 03:11 PM
Starter

It took me a long team to choose a team.
My choices were the Texans, Colts, Jaguars, Dolphins and the Buccaneers.
Just watch some games and eventually you will pick one.
It might not even be one of the teams you have on your shortlist.

Good Luck
Old 29.08.2012, 09:48 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelp View Post
Hello mate,

I always take an interest in these threads because I appreciate the process you go through in finding the right team - I am choosing from 3 at the moment but that's for another thread.

At the end of the day all teams have millions of fans, you only need to look at each team's facebook page to see this. The lesser supported teams are the newer teams but eventually they will be successful and pick up support too.

The point I'm trying to make is that every team is a bandwagon at one time or another. That doesn't mean that all supporters are bandwagoners however. As long as you have personal reasons for choosing a team then it really doesn't matter what people label you as - you've got to start supporting a team at some point and more often than not it's because that team has grabbed your attention, most likely for the way they play the game.

You'll probably hear it a thousand times, but go with your heart. Miami and New York are both relatively easy journeys but I wouldn't let that sway you unless you plan on visiting often. If your heart picks out Green Bay, then you shouldnt let their success put you off as they won't be at the top forever.

Similarly you could argue that both the Jets and Dolphins are a bandwagon right now....the Jets with Tebow and coming off the back of Hard Knocks, and the Dolphins who are currently in the spotlight of Hard Knocks. Incidentally, check the series out as it could push you to one team or the other.

Ultimately, it's your decision and you have to be happy with whoever you choose.

As for the Dolphins right now, I would say they are very slowly on their way up after a troubled period. Their front office is under scrutiny (although I can't claim to be an expert on what's going on). They are a storied franchise though known for their perfect season, they have had superbowl success, they are an iconic team and also had one of the greatest QB's to their name. Also you'll find plenty of Dolphins followers in the UK so you'll always have a decent forum and local supporters.

Just my opinion, I hope it helps.
That has really helped mate, It's great to get another's opinion who is also going through the selection process.

I think I've so far eliminated the Jets so it's between Green Bay and Dolphins now.

As a matter of interest, who are your 3?
Old 29.08.2012, 10:10 PM
Pro Bowler

No worries at all, glad it helped a little. I've been round and round on this one. Ultimately I want a classy and high character team, from a city I would like to visit/live, who are known for playing tough football, with a good locker room chemistry (no egos)....To cut a long story shory, my final 3 choices are:

Texans
Broncos
Seahawks

I have reasons for each so I'm just waiting until I gravitate to one more than the others. I dont think it will be long now the season is upon us.
Old 29.08.2012, 10:15 PM
Pro

Quote:
No worries at all, glad it helped a little. I've been round and round on this one. Ultimately I want a classy and high character team, from a city I would like to visit/live, who are known for playing tough football, with a good locker room chemistry (no egos)....To cut a long story shory, my final 3 choices are:

Texans
Broncos
Seahawks

I have reasons for each so I'm just waiting until I gravitate to one more than the others. I dont think it will be long now the season is upon us.
The Texans are a good choice, and the added bonus is that they're a new team that is in the process of making its own history.

My mate in the USA is a Broncos fan, he lives in Florida but has never been a huge fan of the Florida based teams (with the exfeption of the Gators in college football).
Old 29.08.2012, 10:25 PM
Pro Bowler

Yeh, I think that is an appeal about the Texans, they are new and without success to their name. I also like the identity they are creating around the 'Bulls On Parade' theme plus I have a liking of their LB core...Cushing, Barwin, Reed etc.

I visited Denver when I travelled, and had a photo taken outside the stadium so a little bit of a connection there. The Broncos have always been one of the teams whose results I take an interest in. The only off putting thing about them was the fact they have had a bit of success, but then again as I said before, everyone will eventually have their day.

The Seahawks have always been under the radar which I like. I love what I've read/seen about the city. Im also following the NFL after not having watched it since the 90s, therefore it would seem apt to follow a team who were formed in my year of birth, who had a new start (redesigned unis) the season I came back - stupid reason I know! ha
Old 29.08.2012, 10:30 PM
Pro

Quote:
Yeh, I think that is an appeal about the Texans, they are new and without success to their name. I also like the identity they are creating around the 'Bulls On Parade' theme plus I have a liking of their LB core...Cushing, Barwin, Reed etc.

I visited Denver when I travelled, and had a photo taken outside the stadium so a little bit of a connection there. The Broncos have always been one of the teams whose results I take an interest in. The only off putting thing about them was the fact they have had a bit of success, but then again as I said before, everyone will eventually have their day.

The Seahawks have always been under the radar which I like. I love what I've read/seen about the city. Im also following the NFL after not having watched it since the 90s, therefore it would seem apt to follow a team who were formed in my year of birth, who had a new start (redesigned unis) the season I came back (stupid reason I know ha).
No that's not a stupid reason about the Seahawks, little connections or links can go a long way - for example, another reason I liked the Jets was that they shared the Jets monniker with my home team the Cov Jets.
Old 29.08.2012, 10:33 PM
Pro Bowler

Have you watched the Jets or Dolphins Hard Knocks series?
Old 29.08.2012, 10:34 PM
Pro

Quote:
Have you watched the Jets or Dolphins Hard Knocks series?
No I havent, what does that entail?

Tags
dolphins , fan , jets , packers , support