I've almost picked my team... - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > New to the NFL?

Sponsored Links

Old 29.08.2012, 10:42 PM
Pro Bowler

It's a series shown in the US - basically it's a fly on the wall documentary that follows a different team each preseason. Last year it was the Jets and this year they are showing the Dolphins. It would be good to watch as you get to see the workings of the team and the character of the players. I'm sure it would help you decide one way or the other.

All the Jets series is on YouTube, the Dolphins is still being shown so I think there is only one episode on YouTube. Here's the links to the first episode of the Jets to get you started...very addictive

Last edited by colonelp; 30.08.2012 at 07:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 29.08.2012, 11:07 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelp View Post
It's a series shown in the US - basically it's a fly on the wall documentary that follows a different team each preseason. Last year it was the Jets and this year they are showing the Dolphins. It would be good to watch as you get to see the workings of the team and the character of the players. I'm sure it would help you decide one way or the other.

All the Jets series is on YouTube, the Dolphins is still being shown so I think there is only one episode on YouTube. Here's the links to the first episode of the Jets to get you started...very addictive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtC5OebOwvg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_u1t...feature=relmfu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEpSl...feature=relmfu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKbJb...feature=relmfu
Cheers mate, I'll start having a watch of those tomorrow. :-)
Old 30.08.2012, 07:11 AM
All Pro

Do it quick, will be taken down now they have been posted here!
Old 30.08.2012, 07:35 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer#95 View Post
Do it quick, will be taken down now they have been posted here!
Really? Whats the deal with posting links then?
Old 30.08.2012, 08:37 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mradam83 View Post
Hi all,

So I've been absent from the forum for a good long while, but in that time I've been whittling down my teams and I've almos picked my team from 3.

My highest percentage is for the Miami Dolphins - out of 100% I would say about 60-65%. My main reasons are that I've known about their existence from when I first saw Ace Ventura in 1994 as a kid and I have a number of other reasons such as being a shorter plane journey if I ever wanted to see them, they have some hall of fame greats such as Marino and ascetic wise I do like the kit.

However, the remainder is split between 2 teams - New York Jets and Green Bay Packers.

I've liked the Jets since I watched the Monday Night Miracle and like the Dolphins, are a shortish Plane journey if I ever got a chance to see a match.

The Packers I have an admiration for in the sense that they are a fan owned and not for profit team - and they strike me as a team that invests in the future. However, I have seen less of their games and what holds me back is that I don't want to be labelled as a glory chaser (Although I only found out their history recently after already being interested in them).

Those of you who have picked your teams, did you ever have a yearning towards one team out of a few? If I pick the Dolphins for example, what can I expect?

And also with the Packers, are they a glory chasers haven - if they're supported, do you automatically get classed as ignorant of all the teams?

I originally had about 8 teams I liked so I've streamlined heavily but am in the final now (so to speak).

Cheers all!
If you're supporting the packers for reasons that don't include "because they are currently winning superbowls" then you wouldn't be considered a glory hunter. Of course you'd probably still get called a glory hunter but if you're comfortable with your reasoning for being a fan then you shouldn't really care what others call you.

Green Bay would be a good team for a newbie as you can almost guarantee that they are going to be competitive for next 10 years. They are one of the best run teams and have the best QB in the NFL whose is just entering the prime of his career. They are an iconic franchise with a successful history both ancient and recent.

I'd also consider the Dolphins and Jets as iconic franchises as they had success back in the 60's and 70's but their outlook is a lot more unsure than that of the Packers.

I wouldn't support the Dolphins and I'm not saying this as a fan of their rivals. They are doing a complete rebuild of the team, they have just drafted their QB of the future and are unlikely to be competitive until he develops. Of course getting in on the ground floor may appeal to you, there is also a great sense of community among the UK fin fans but I think they are 2-3 years away from being competitive, and that's only if their rookie QB is the real deal.

The Jets are either where the dolphins could be in 4 years time, or 2 years away from being where the dolphins are now. We drafted our QB 4 seasons ago and we've built a decent team, but our QB hasn't been as good as we hoped and if he doesn't get better soon then we may need to blow the roster up and start again. However the past few years have been our most exciting, successful and roller-coaster like since I've been a fan. I'm hoping for a similar experience in the up coming years but the majority of people are predicting a decline into ruin for the Jets.

I'd recommend the Packers out of the three, but ideally I'd recommend spending this season watching all three and seeing who you warm to the most. There is no need to rush into being a life long fan.
Old 30.08.2012, 09:18 AM
Pro

I understand how hard it is to pick a team, it took me a really long time but I got there in the end.

Me and colonelp have shared countless messages both just going through the same process, just bouncing ideas and thoughts from one another.

I would just say that it comes down to the fact, that unless you have personal ties to a city/team then you really could just choose any team. Then its just about giving it time to learn as much as possible about them and throwing your support behind them wholeheartedly.

The thing is, as long as you know your reasons for supporting a team then it doesn't matter if people think your a bandwagoner or not, nearly every team will get good and good through rough patches sooner or later, some more than others. That's the great thing about the NFL, the parity across the whole league.

I picked the Bengals, and until a few weeks back it really couldve been anyone, now that I've learned more about them, I really couldn't find myself supporting anyone else.
Old 30.08.2012, 10:07 AM
Banned

I don't get this whole thing?
Trust your gut.
Watch some ball.
Pick your team.
Follow, with passion.
Rinse and repeat.
Old 30.08.2012, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach'sDisciple View Post
I don't get this whole thing?
Trust your gut.
Watch some ball.
Pick your team.
Follow, with passion.
Rinse and repeat.
Logic from a Cadle fan............how odd!
Old 30.08.2012, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titletown USA View Post
Logic from a Cadle fan............how odd!
I'm not having a pop, honestly, I just think you can over complicate a thing.
Old 30.08.2012, 10:48 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleybear View Post
I picked the Bengals, and until a few weeks back it really couldve been anyone, now that I've learned more about them, I really couldn't find myself supporting anyone else.
The Bengals are a good choice, really like how their roster has come together the last couple years.
I think Cincinnati is one of the most underrated cities in the states. It's a great little city, definitely try to get to a game if you can.

Tags
dolphins , fan , jets , packers , support