New York Jets Thread - Page 808 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New York Jets

Sponsored Links

Old 21.09.2018, 05:30 AM
Starter

Oh dear.

Not too worried re Darnold as these games will happen, but I am about Bates & Bowles.
Sponsored Links
Old 21.09.2018, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

I’m frigging raging, trying to get through the rest of my shift without going postal. Stocksy, wherever you are, I apologise. You were bang on the money... Going to be venting my spleen at all and sundry today, more reasoned thoughts on tonight’s fiasco coming later...
Old 21.09.2018, 10:13 AM
Pro

As posted in the game thread....

One of the most infuriating games I've had the misfortune of viewing.

Darnold was bloody awful, but to be fair he was always going to have howlers; he's a very young (even by rookie standards) QB on a bad team. He's also on a short-week against a good defence. Doesn't excuse him but I'm not going loopy about him like some of the Jets forums I've been on this morning.

However he wasn't helped by a bad offensive-line and some dreadful, scared play-calling from Bates. Just kept hammering the run, even though it wasn't working, so we were left in repeated 3rd and longs. Considering that two HoF'ers have struggled against the Browns defence these last two weeks felt like we were just setting the kid up to fail.

Was similar against the Dolphins - we played far too conservative first-half, and Darnold only started looking decent once we let him throw the ball when we fell behind. Get the impression Bates seems to fancy himself as a bit of a Mcvay/Shanahan 'offensive wunderkind'. He seems about a million miles from that right now.

As for the defence; not sure what happened in the second half, but seems like Bowles had no plan for the different QB and didn't have a clue how to stop him. Again, for a self-styled "defensive scheme genius", not a good look.

I expected to lose, but to throw away a 14 point lead against a team who haven't won in eons, with a rookie QB thrown in, is unforgivable.

Bowles is on serious borrowed time now. Feels like this will be the loss which defines him when he gets the chop in January.
Old 21.09.2018, 12:13 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
I’m frigging raging, trying to get through the rest of my shift without going postal. Stocksy, wherever you are, I apologise. You were bang on the money... Going to be venting my spleen at all and sundry today, more reasoned thoughts on tonight’s fiasco coming later...
As soon as Baker stepped on the field I knew it was going to swing. They clearly built their roster with him in mind and you felt he was set up to succeed.

I feel for Darnold. I’m worried he will be permanently damaged if this continues.

Bad discipline cost us too. Two bone head sportsmanship penalties.

There is so much wrong.

Baker looked great. I can see why browns took him over Darnold. Darnold needs time in general to develope ... and on field better protection and time.

We lack any sort of game changers... but we have for years really
Old 21.09.2018, 06:55 PM
Starter

I'm with you stocksy. I think we are in a mess.
However, I'm confident Darnold is the one. My only concern is that we will ruin him. We should have gone all in on the o line the second we drafted him. FA, trade, draft.
I do wonder if Last night for Mayfield was Darnolds game v Detroit??