Black Monday - You're Fired. - Page 61 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 05.01.2018, 08:08 PM
All Pro

10 year deal? Wow, but then again how can you question Mark Davis’ judgement when he has that hairstyle.....
Old 05.01.2018, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

The Ravens have hired former Bengals’ WR coach James Urban as their quarterbacks coach, and also promoted Greg Roman to assistant head coach...
Old 05.01.2018, 11:15 PM
MVP

Could this be the start of coach contracts starting to mirror player contracts? I would be interested to see whether this contract is fully guaranteed at $100m or whether there are actually options for the team to 'cut' the coach after a certain period without becoming liable for the remaining portion of the agreement. That wouldn't surprise me at all with numbers and time spans like this. Offsets are normal for early release but a coach like Gruden who was out of the league for so long is very unlikely to decide to rush back into another NFL coaching job if he can continue to collect the money and do something else, so I wonder if there is something more sophisticated here.
Old 05.01.2018, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

10 years is probably less than the ownership share being mooted a few days ago.

I'm happy to see Gru back in the league, but I'm not convinced. His talent spotting is sub-par, and since that 2002 SB win, his record is bang average. In fact his career record is pretty average.

That said, the Raiders are very much a 'win now' team, and maybe Chucky has that personality and drive to push them over the top.

Have the Raiders fallen foul of the Rooney rule in this instance though, I mean it's been pretty common knowledge that Gruden was their man since the day before Del Rio was fired.
Old 06.01.2018, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator

It's been confirmed the Raiders have met the terms of the Rooney Rule.

I think they interviewed Marshawn Lynch.
Old 06.01.2018, 01:52 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
It's been confirmed the Raiders have met the terms of the Rooney Rule.

I think they interviewed Marshawn Lynch.
"I'm only here so I don't get hired as the head coach."
Old 06.01.2018, 10:59 AM
All Pro

With one of the poorest, if not the poorest owner in the league. Committing that much money just seems dumb
Old 06.01.2018, 02:34 PM
MVP

Really not keen on the idea of giving a Head Coach a 10 year contract. How many guys not named Belichick ever last that long in one place? Feels like a stretch.

I wonder what Gruden's arrival will mean for Derek Carr. Good thing or bad thing?
Old 06.01.2018, 03:04 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus corax View Post
Really not keen on the idea of giving a Head Coach a 10 year contract. How many guys not named Belichick ever last that long in one place? Feels like a stretch.

I wonder what Gruden's arrival will mean for Derek Carr. Good thing or bad thing?
Gruden reportedly wants Rich Gannon as QB coach. Hopefully he can get Carr back to his 2016 form - can't help thinking his injuries this year played a part in his dropoff.
Old 06.01.2018, 03:48 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus corax View Post

Several, to answer your question. 6 of the 32 coaches in the league have notched up 10 seasons or more. Marvin Lewis is the only one not to have won a Super Bowl (or playoff game!). If you succeed, you get kept on. I guess the Raiders feel they are making a statement of intent by awarding a 10-year deal. Kyle Shanahan got a 6 year deal and he'd never been a head coach before. Gruden won a Super Bowl. The Raiders clearly wanted him and he didn't need to come back, so he had the leverage. The Raiders also need a statement with the Vegas move coming up - we mean business and we are putting our money where our mouth is. Maybe it doesn't work out. But ultimately it's only money and even if Davis as an individual isn't that rich, NFL teams make a lot and a high profile coach with a new stadium could bring in more money for the team in itself.

As for Derek Carr - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFERM0mEqpM

Gruden would not take this job if he had a problem with Derek Carr, I am 100% certain of that.