2018 Season - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 23.09.2018, 10:48 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
I said a few years ago, when he was at his peak, that JJ Watt was the most overrated player in the NFL. I was shot down in flames for it, but I stand by it. And I'm a big Watt fan, let me be clear and I think he was great. But ultimately the hype he was getting just wasn't worth it for a 3-4 defensive end. The case in point was that he played lights out every single game 4-5 years ago and yet the Texans still went 2-14, losing 14 straight games. He was getting QB-like attention but a lights out QB isn't losing 14 straight games.

Continue that logic onwards, and you have to say that he isn't worth the salary he will be commanding if he is anything other than hall of fame level for the whole season. $13m base salary next season. Clowney is out of contract next season but would probably command similar if brought back. Admittedly the Texans have Watson for cheap for the next few years when other teams have to pay their starting QB a lot more, and the Texans are one of the teams with the most cap space, but when you don't have a stellar running back and your O-line is that poor is it money well spent? Maybe you can justify it for one of Watt and Clowney, but not both, and definitely not if their injuries continue.

a LE can going do so much and at that time he was doing as much as any could, he was game breaking and even caught some TDs.
outside of QB players dont tend to take the blame for records.

injuries are a factor why the impact is lacking now but he might be getting a bit of his spark back.

Quote:
Plus in America the do-gooder off the field stuff definitely counts for a lot, as does a TV career (does Kurt Warner get in if he's not on NFL Network and instead just sloped off into anonymity? I'm not sure). Watt has been tremendous at the former and I reckon he'll be in demand for TV later too.

all players are pretty much do gooders though.

the TV career and the story helped Kurt but it was his time with the Cards that got him over the line.
Old 24.09.2018, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

It’s week 3, I know, so far too early to make sweeping statements, but I’m not sure anyone can stop the Rams right now.

Easily the most complete team in the league, currently.
Old 24.09.2018, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
It’s week 3, I know, so far too early to make sweeping statements, but I’m not sure anyone can stop the Rams right now.

I had a wee bet on them after Week 1 at 10/1
Old 24.09.2018, 05:23 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
all players are pretty much do gooders though.
Errrrrrrrrrrrr....
Old 24.09.2018, 05:38 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Errrrrrrrrrrrr....

they do all pretty much do the charity thing and community work.

some have done something bad, a couple something awful but as a group its mostly the do gooder in the terms you were talking about Watt in.
Old 24.09.2018, 06:24 PM
All Pro

Quote:

Agreed. Well coached, great on both sides of the ball, a championship team if ever I saw one! The Saints was my pre-season pick but they haven't lived up to my expectations yet.

The AFC is a lot harder to call, the Jags looked immense against us but I still don't trust or rate Bortles. Chiefs look to be about the best team so far offensively, we'll probably be there or there abouts although the Dolphins could well give us a run for our money for the division at this rate!

It's still early days but the Rams look to be by far the best team in the league and it's not really close!
Old 24.09.2018, 06:48 PM
All Pro

Think Jj must have heard us! He will be up against better tackles than Flowers this season, but if hes fit and fired up who knows? You cant argue with his stats, leads the Nfl in multiple sack games etc
Old 24.09.2018, 06:49 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:

they have been impressive but they have had a nice easy schedule.this time last year the Chiefs where un-stoppable and see how that worked out.

think like every contender its about staying healthy,Marcus Peters expected to miss a few weeks and Talib got dinged up and its a short week against a Vikings team licking there wounds after yesterday.
Old 24.09.2018, 06:57 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic_matt View Post
Agreed. Well coached, great on both sides of the ball, a championship team if ever I saw one! The Saints was my pre-season pick but they haven't lived up to my expectations yet.

The AFC is a lot harder to call, the Jags looked immense against us but I still don't trust or rate Bortles. Chiefs look to be about the best team so far offensively, we'll probably be there or there abouts although the Dolphins could well give us a run for our money for the division at this rate!

It's still early days but the Rams look to be by far the best team in the league and it's not really close!
in the AFC there are teams with 1 great unit(Jags/Chiefs) but the question is can the other side of the ball do enough in big games.

maybe this is the year we get parity and maybe all the division races are up for grabs in late December.
Old 24.09.2018, 07:14 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:

KC if on a roll can score against any other D, but this time last year they were being tipped for the SB after a very good start - this year I dont trust their D, but righty now their offense is able to keep the team ahead

Despite yesterdays horror show I still like the Vikings. That performance might be the kick up the proverbials that the team needs to refocus. Certainly expect Zimmer to use it to get his team going again