Potential Super Bowl matchups... - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 11.12.2017, 05:39 PM
Starter

Default Potential Super Bowl matchups...

Now we're getting towards the business end I was just thinking through some of the potential contests we could see in February...

Patriots v Saints - Clash of the two QBs who will end their careers as the top two of all time in passing yardage, with a combined age of nearly 80...

Patriots v Falcons/Seahawks - Revenge narratives all round...

Steelers v Falcons - Never mind the QBs, it's all about the best two receivers in the game today.

Rams v Chargers - The Freeway Bowl? Squatters' Bowl? "Nobody cares yet in LA, can we wait 5 years?" Bowl? Interesting clash of the old and new under center anyway.

Packers v anyone - doesn't really matter who they play if the Rodgers recovery storyline plays out, if they run the table from here it would be one of the most remarkable comebacks in NFL history.

Vikings v Jags - just because anyone who predicted a Case Keenum vs. Blake Bortles Super Bowl match-up in September would have been taken away by men in white coats. It could happen. With the way this season has played out, it probably will...

Any other match-ups people want to see? Or are desperately hoping don't happen?
Old 11.12.2017, 07:36 PM
Pro Bowler

Any match up that doesn't have the Patriots in it really.

Would love Rams v Jags or something that no one would've predicted pre-season.
Old 11.12.2017, 10:19 PM
MVP

Hell Jags versus anybody would do me!

I was thinking if we can get 6 wins this season we would have done well (a 100% increase on last year).

We haven't had a winning season since 2007.

We haven't hosted a Play Game since 1999!
Old 12.12.2017, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal Bin View Post
Hell Jags versus anybody would do me!

I was thinking if we can get 6 wins this season we would have done well (a 100% increase on last year).

We haven't had a winning season since 2007.

We haven't hosted a Play Game since 1999!
Was that the 62-7 thrashing of Miami that sent Dan Marino into retirement?
Old 12.12.2017, 05:10 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
Was that the 62-7 thrashing of Miami that sent Dan Marino into retirement?
That was the week before. It was the AFC Championship Game a week later where the baby eating, Satan worshiping, filthy, cheating (they stole the Jags play book) bunch from Tennessee cheated their way to the Super Bowl. At least they lost. "One yard short". He-he-he-he!
Old 13.12.2017, 02:53 PM
All Pro

Hoping for a final that doesn’t feature the Patriots, Seahawks or Steelers. I say this without malice, just as I wish for a Scottish Cup final that doesn’t feature the ugly sisters, or an FA Cup final without the EPLs ‘big six clubs’.

TBH, I am rooting for the Wembley Jagwarrs.
Old 14.12.2017, 12:14 PM
Starter

I'd like to see a Panthers vs Chargers Superbowl. Backed the panthers to win the superbowl so that that would be a win win!
Plus a new SB winner would be nice.
Plus Cam vs Phil would be an interesting QB matchup...the game in the regular season last year was a write off for the chargers with so many injuries and Gordon going down during the game and Kenneth Farrow having to take the run reps. Both teams look a lot stronger this year.

Sadly it will probably be Patriots vs Packers.
Old 14.12.2017, 01:09 PM
All Pro

I appreciate people's apathy towards the Pats playing another Super Bowl, but at least all the ones they are in are always good games! I personally think it's a real shame we've never seen a Brady/Belichick vs Rodgers Super Bowl, so I would really like to see that...but unfortunately I just don't see GB making it.

If not the Pats from the AFC, I would love to see Rivers and the Chargers make it - think Rivers is a Hall of Famer for me, but to get in for the voters he will probably need a ring (imo he's a much better player than Eli, but Eli gets in cos the two rings and the Manning name, whereas as we stand I think Rivers doesn't).

NFC wise, now Wentz is down I fancy Carolina if Kuechly stays healthy.
Old 14.12.2017, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Any AFC vs Any non-NFC South
Old 14.12.2017, 07:49 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollyrules View Post
If not the Pats from the AFC, I would love to see Rivers and the Chargers make it - think Rivers is a Hall of Famer for me, but to get in for the voters he will probably need a ring (imo he's a much better player than Eli, but Eli gets in cos the two rings and the Manning name, whereas as we stand I think Rivers doesn't).
I guess QBs without a ring to their name do get in on occasions but post-season performance does carry a massive weight (RBs and WRs who play out their career on crap teams and barely get a snap in January can get in). I suppose a QB has to be a leader and a great one can potentially carry a mediocre team?

I always thought of Rivers as a “hall of very good” type but the further he gets up the all-time yardage list his HoF case builds, he matches the greats of his era for career longevity and perhaps a good play-off run would cement that. There will be something of a backlog at the position though, with Peyton, Brady, Brees, Big Ben and perhaps Eli likely to become eligible before him.

Last edited by forest49; 14.12.2017 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Used milder expletive to avoid the censors!