2013 / 14 Bengals roster - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Cincinnati Bengals

Old 29.12.2012, 09:20 PM
All Pro

Thanks to our great drafting recently Katie in the Front Office is gonna have some work to do next Spring. The current notables up for renewal are:

QB - Gradkowski

RB - Leonard and Scott

WR - Tate and Hawkins (exclusive)

OL - Smith and Roland

DL - Geathers, Sims, Johnson AND Gilberry

LB - Howard, Lawson AND Maualuga

DB - Crocker, Pacman and Newman

K - Huber and Nuggent

That's a lot of work to cover, especially on key guys like Smith, Johnson and Sims, but also on guys they've picked up recently and who've played very well - like Pacman, Newman and Leonard.

For me the definite goodbye's are Scott, Tate, Roland, Geathers and Crocker.

The ok to stay but only if you're cheap enough - Grad, Leonard (think we draft RB's anyway), Gilberry (Still to play more next year), Lawson (Howard to replace him with Burfict and Rey), Newman (Dre to play more next year), Nuggent (or just keep Brown). Sims is in this list because I'm not sure other teams will be willing to offer him mega-money but he's very valuable on early downs.

And I try and keep the rest - Huber will be cheap, Pacman still won't get much of a look from many teams but his PR average has added some dollars to his contract, Howard whose very active and can even pass cover, Maualuga has been maddeningly inconsistent but I think they'll try to keep him, Johnson is crucial on that D Line so unless they draft a DE in round 1 as a direct replacment then I think they'll try and keep him too.

As for Smith, he's on the last of the bumper rookie contracts so is gonna want Whitworth money. When he was drafted I remember seeing him and really disliking his attitude. I see him testing FA and leaving.

We obviously have zero cap issues so can cover the one's I want to keep without eating into the Gresham, Atkins, Dunlap, Greene and Dalton money in the next couple of years.

All that said, we might just do it the Brown way and pay no-one and draft replacements for RT, RDE and LB, and just pay Huber

Last edited by boomer07uk; 29.12.2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01.01.2013, 06:57 AM
Pro Bowler

I think the Bengals really need to consider extending Atkins, I'm sure he enters his final year of his contract next year.
Whilst he may indeed play hard in a contract year (something I think he'd do regardless anyway!) he will most likely be far more expensive and the Bengals don't usually offer as high as others for veteran free agents even one of their own.
He's played well the past couple of years time to reward him with a little stability going forward.
Huber I'm sure they will re-sign but Nugent's injury issues will most likely give Josh Brown shot at being the kicker for 2013.
Gradkowski I hope they upgrade on, always makes me uneasy having him as number two based on his previous Bengals performances.
Crocker is still expendable if they can upgrade in the draft or free agency and Newman has Kirkpatrick breathing very hard down his neck. Adam Jones I'd like to see back and he has a certain amount of loyalty to the Bengals, if he did come back though it wouldn't be on big money and some team out there might take a 'punt' on him (which he didn't receive enough of in 2012 - punts that is!).
Although Maualuga got better I still see him as a good backup, I certainly wouldn't be cut up to see him leave, Thomas and Lawson aren't lighting up the world either but you'd have to say that bringing back one of the three would be good for continuity. Introducing a new LB corps alongside Burffict would be unsettling to a good defense.
Only DL I'd think about layiung half decent money to would be Johnson but I'd hate to see Sims leave and think he would be hard to replace plugging the middle.
André Smith, has he shown enough to be given a big contract in Cincinnati. No doubt one team in the NFL will lay down the money, but for me André has had too many issues in Cincinnati and too little gametime (I'd want a couple of GREAT seasons) to warrant paying money.
Brain Leonard doesn't fit anymore in my opinion in this offense and is expendable. Scott is all but gone and good riddance.
Brandon Tate didn't even look dangerous on returns so I'd be happy to see him leave. Hawkins is a key to the Bengals offense and as an exclusive free agent should be manageable to keep.
Old 01.01.2013, 10:18 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsman View Post
I think the Bengals really need to consider extending Atkins, I'm sure he enters his final year of his contract next year.
Whilst he may indeed play hard in a contract year (something I think he'd do regardless anyway!) he will most likely be far more expensive and the Bengals don't usually offer as high as others for veteran free agents even one of their own.
He's played well the past couple of years time to reward him with a little stability going forward.
Huber I'm sure they will re-sign but Nugent's injury issues will most likely give Josh Brown shot at being the kicker for 2013.
Gradkowski I hope they upgrade on, always makes me uneasy having him as number two based on his previous Bengals performances.
Crocker is still expendable if they can upgrade in the draft or free agency and Newman has Kirkpatrick breathing very hard down his neck. Adam Jones I'd like to see back and he has a certain amount of loyalty to the Bengals, if he did come back though it wouldn't be on big money and some team out there might take a 'punt' on him (which he didn't receive enough of in 2012 - punts that is!).
Although Maualuga got better I still see him as a good backup, I certainly wouldn't be cut up to see him leave, Thomas and Lawson aren't lighting up the world either but you'd have to say that bringing back one of the three would be good for continuity. Introducing a new LB corps alongside Burffict would be unsettling to a good defense.
Only DL I'd think about layiung half decent money to would be Johnson but I'd hate to see Sims leave and think he would be hard to replace plugging the middle.
André Smith, has he shown enough to be given a big contract in Cincinnati. No doubt one team in the NFL will lay down the money, but for me André has had too many issues in Cincinnati and too little gametime (I'd want a couple of GREAT seasons) to warrant paying money.
Brain Leonard doesn't fit anymore in my opinion in this offense and is expendable. Scott is all but gone and good riddance.
Brandon Tate didn't even look dangerous on returns so I'd be happy to see him leave. Hawkins is a key to the Bengals offense and as an exclusive free agent should be manageable to keep.
Yeah I'd also love them to extend Atkins sooner rather than later. Probably (unfortunately) the only way we get a better than average chance of keeping him.

One thing I wanted to add was about keeping Gilberry as well - think he looks like he could be another very good DL resource. He was outstanding on Sunday.
Old 03.01.2013, 02:02 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer07uk View Post
Yeah I'd also love them to extend Atkins sooner rather than later. Probably (unfortunately) the only way we get a better than average chance of keeping him.

One thing I wanted to add was about keeping Gilberry as well - think he looks like he could be another very good DL resource. He was outstanding on Sunday.
Atkins should get what he wants, the fanbase in Cincy will tear down the stadium if he is not a Bengal for life.

Also, great article on the Bengals website on importance of Pat Sims. If Still and Thompson develop in the offseason, I would be iin favour over keeping Sims over Peko. Agree on keeping Gilberry (I said previously we should have let him go!) but we still need a front tier DE to make our defense elite (along with secondary additions mainly at safety).
Old 03.01.2013, 05:48 PM
Pro Bowler

Yeah Geathers has not stepped up to the sort of elevated play of the others. To be fair he has been pretty porr since they offered him a mega contract.
I hope you people saw against the Ravens how important Sims is and what he can do. Like I say, no coincidence the defensive line became so much more dominant upon his return. Underappreciated but should never be undervalued...
Old 07.01.2013, 04:47 PM
Team Captain

I wouldn't be surprised to see Geathers back as insurance in case we don't get a DE in the draft. He'll be mega-cheap and he's still a very good player against the run.
Old 20.05.2013, 07:11 PM
All Pro

Wondering what are the thoughts of Thomas Howard? We need a coverage Linebacker and it seems to be one of his strengths.
Old 20.05.2013, 07:30 PM
Pro Bowler

Average.......
Old 21.05.2013, 11:30 AM
Team Captain

Harsh, he was fantastic for us and comfortably the best linebacker on the roster this time last year. However, a coverage linebacker who is ageing and coming off a torn ACL isn't a great recipe. The fact we haven't re-signed him also shows how his rehab is going. He won't come back the same player but could still be solid, ala Jordan Shipley.