The Dalton Dilemna - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Cincinnati Bengals

View Poll Results: What should we do re Dalton?
Sign him to a long contract now 3 23.08%
Wait & see what he does this year 6 46.15%
Look elsewhere now 0 0%
Draft his replacement-release him after 2014 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08.04.2014, 02:16 PM
Team Captain

The Bridgewater thing is absolutely bizarre. I can't put it any other way. He ended last year as the number 1 QB in College football after his bowl game performance and then had another very good season to confirm how good he was and the rumours are that GMs/Scouts just don't like him. It's probably far too cynical to suggest it's because he isn't your prototypical 230lb hunk of a man whose got the million dollar smile but he's quite clearly one of the best QB prospects in recent memory. Certainly if we were ranking recent QB prospects I'd do it as such 1) Luck, 2) Bridgewater, 3) RG3, 4) Newton in terms of how good they were coming out of college.

He just doesn't have the physique or big arm they all covet but he has incredibly elite pocket presence (it's insane), is scarily accurate and is just money in anything short/intermediate. We're talking about an athletic Tom Brady in terms of his skillset (obviously you have to wait and see if they have the same types of instincts and ability to read defenses on they're in the NFL).

What interests me most is who makes the decision. I firmly believe Marvin is sold on Dalton, I also wonder if Mike Brown isn't...his interviews allude to as much. Brown let a coach change his mind before when he trusted Gruden and drafted Dalton over Kaepernick. I just hope if Teddy did fall we took him, same with Manziel and probably Bortles. I'm not desperate for a QB and the likes of Mettenberger, Carr and Murray wouldn't really achieve much unless they sat behind Dalton and improved considerably to over-take (He's not 'terrible' after all, just not very good).

The longer we go without an extension the better chance there is of us drafting a QB early so the probability creeps up every day.

Bridgewater is legit though, I'd happily trade multiple top picks to move up and get him, he's worth it in my opinion and would truly push us to the next level.
Old 08.04.2014, 05:46 PM
Team Captain

I'll admit I don't watch that much college football, and tend to watch old clips around draft time. But I did see a vignette of Bridgewater's pro-day and formed the opinion that he couldn't hit a barn door (While dressed in shorts and t shirt and no D on the field).

I trust your knowledge of him is better than mine,and my summary is a tad unfair for comic effect -but given this and the general negativity -I would rather pick a blue-chip player at another position in the 1st Round.
Old 08.04.2014, 07:07 PM
Pro Bowler

Now today a long time after the 'event' I finally brought myself to watch the playoff loss. It took me while, what can I say... I'm an emotional guy ;0)

However after watching it it wasn't nearly as bad as what I thought it would be. The Bengals were playing very well and were the dominant team in the first half, going in 10-7 at the half. At the beginning of the half they looked to build on that but it all started to fade away as soon as Gio fumbled. It just took something out of them, gave the team the jitters.
Defense still played well and this might have been one of the better Maualuga games I'd seen. The problem the 'D' had was that they couldn't penetrate the pocket and a QB the calibre of Phillip Rivers had too much pocket presence which didn't help matters.
I kept seeing Dunlap push up on the tackle only to go no further when Rivers stepped forward making him ineffective (to be fair Dunlap never looked like shedding the blocks).
I can't help but think that even with the rotational use of players they REALLY missed Atkins in that game, a player that with his insane leverage might have been able to help get into the pocket and catch Rivers as he stepped up! The line looked tired, like the game was just one step too far.
So Gresham did his Jeckyl and Hide routine but didn't have a bad game and I couldn't help but smile when I saw how well Marvin Jones has progressed and made that number two receiver position his own. Towards the end of the season it was Jones who was making the more dynamic receiving plays not Green and we will be very well served next season with him there, contract up in 2016...we should keep an eye on it and extend him when we can, is the earliest we can extend him 2015?
For a receiver that in 2014 is getting paid $5,653,694 LESS than A.J Green in 2014 he is a STEAL. He most certainly isn't playing $5,653,694 less in ability....

I know there are a few others I'd like to mention, (including the job done by Crocker in that game) but lets cut to the chase. - Dalton.
At the end of watching that game I wasn't frustrated or angry with what he did. I thought he played well in the first half and more importantly made the CORRECT DECISIONS. He looked like he was capable of making any throw asked and maintained poise. In the second half his head fell off... this is the same guy and the only thing I can say is that the occasion seemed to effect him again, he looked flustered. I, unlike others on this board, can't see anything that's not fixable. He's not a Aaron Rogers or Phillip Rivers but if he gets that part of his game fixed he is an above average QB. I think it can be fixed, but I think he just might need a QB guru to help him do it even if he seeks that out himself in his own time....
I for one wouldn't want a Matt Schaub, or a Michael Vick instead of him.... Andy still has an upside, it's just that we're used to being moderately successful in the season these days and are looking for more. However making a rash choice of replacing Dalton might be a case of wanting more but ending up with less.....

Now I can say wholeheartedly that had I wrote this post in January my angst probably would have overwritten any thoughts like this, anyway it is my own opinion and time will tell....
Old 08.04.2014, 07:18 PM
Pro Bowler

Sanzenbacher re-signed....

RESULT!!!

This dude was criminally under played in 2013-14. I look forward to seeing him rightfully take some of the snaps that Hawkins would have had, had he not left....
Old 09.04.2014, 01:20 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalblueboy1 View Post
I'll admit I don't watch that much college football, and tend to watch old clips around draft time. But I did see a vignette of Bridgewater's pro-day and formed the opinion that he couldn't hit a barn door (While dressed in shorts and t shirt and no D on the field).

I trust your knowledge of him is better than mine,and my summary is a tad unfair for comic effect -but given this and the general negativity -I would rather pick a blue-chip player at another position in the 1st Round.
It was a bad pro-day. For some strange reason he decided to throw without wearing gloves (he always wore gloves at Louisville) and it threw him off, let a few balls sail because of his grip etc...but it was a bad pro day but hey Cam Newton's pro day was just as bad.

It's the old over-analysing. Scouts see a guy who doesn't have enough bulk, don't think he has enough arm talent to get any better and go through all his measurables and intangibles trying to pigeon-hole him as a certain type of QB who needs a certain type of system...and completely neglect what they saw on film.
Go on draftbreakdown.com and watch any of his games, he's the best QB in college football for the last 2 years. They question his bulk yet you'll see a bowl game where he gets hammered and can hardly move and goes onto win the game almost single-handedly against a much much more favoured opponent. People made the same mistake with Brady (too an extent, he was better than where he was taken but he was no means worthy of an early pick) and they did it two years ago with Wilson.

If we pass on him, I'll be distraught. That sort of chance on happens once in a lifetime and you need to pull the trigger rather than live the next decade regretting/wondering what might have happened. At worst what is he going to be? Average? We've already got that. You replace average for average and save 10-15 million in cap room in the process.

Adds a level of intrigue though, I'm still 99% sure he won't fall to us as there's too many QB-needy teams picking early but then again, no-one thought Aaron Rodgers would fall like he did.