2011 Draft Game - Page 4 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Pittsburgh Steelers

Old 29.04.2011, 08:35 AM
Pro Bowler

Thumbs up

It sounds like we landed someone we really wanted in Cam Heyward. He's going to a perfect situation, being able to learn from two great pros in Keisel & Smith, while becoming part of the rotation with Hood. This pick makes a lot of sense.

We were never going to take Jimmy Smith (or anyone else with "character issues") but I reckon he'll prove to be a great corner - his career will be "policed" from day one by Ray Lewis.

I can't believe the "Prince" dropped all the way to #19. If he becomes a perennial Pro Bowler I'll always think we should have pulled off that trade I was so keen on!
Old 29.04.2011, 11:00 AM
Pro Bowler

Im not going to lie guys, Im gutted you got Heyward! I can see him causing some real problems for us for years to come. And he has alot of good guys to show him the ropes.
Old 29.04.2011, 12:57 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible Towel View Post
Gadzooks! I'm a genius ;-)?

Very good pick at a need position, should still be able to pick up a good corner in round two.

Sorry chap I never got that gift to ya! Your time will come!

Going to the draft! Awesome! Let us know how you get on, r u on Twitter chap?

How's the job hunting and NYC?

Anyway, shaping up to be another good draft!

Go Steelers!
Haha no worries Im heading back to the UK in a couple of weeks for a wedding etc.

Yeah im on twitter @carrasfe however I don't tend to tweet that much im more a follower that a twitterer.

I initially had tickets for rounds 4-7 but managed to get rounds 2-3 yesterday so heading down with a Steelers mate of mine out here!

NYC is good the job huntings not bad either its just trying to find the right job, im moving into a flat on Sunday so quite looking forward to having my own space as my mates floor albeit awesome ain't ideal!

So look out for my Wallace and terrible towel down the draft later today! Haha
Old 30.04.2011, 08:45 AM
Pro Bowler

All in all very content with our first 3 picks.

DL, OL & CB - we were all agreed these were the areas of need.
Good kids from top schools - it all has to be positive.

Now let's hope all the bargaining gets sorted out so we can get on with Free Agency. Taylor & Colon the main players.
Old 01.05.2011, 12:14 PM
All Pro

Yes the top 3 picks will see some action in the season,the others will be work in progress.
Free agency isn't something Steelers do a lot of but hoping we do try and get a decent CB
Old 01.05.2011, 04:58 PM
All Pro

Yeah I really like the 1st 3 picks and can't wait to see them on the field.

I also like Chris Carter in the 5th round - Give him a year or 2 in the system and he could be another quality OLB for us.
Old 03.05.2011, 12:56 PM
All Pro

Liking our draft . . .

DE Cam Heyward should be a great fill for us in the rotation at end, he should see some playing time in his first year. Looks to be of good character, and has fire in his belly.

OT Marcus Gilbert, looks to be the air apparent to big flozell. An unglamorous pick, but he has the ideal size and athleticism to succeed. He is MoPo's buddy so if he can pick it up as quickly as him we will have a very good player on out hands. Would we have picked him ahead of Brandon Harris if he'd still been there though?

CB Curtis Brown is another solid pick up, he's athletic and has the tools to succeed in the spot currently manned by Willie G@y - Don't think he'll ever be a shutdown corner though. he should see time in his first year too.

CB Cortez Allen is possibly the most intriguing player of our draft, he's tall, fast and a bit of a rough diamond, a bit boom or bust, . . he is flexible enough to maybe play safety though, if it doesn't pan out at CB. If he does pan out, he could be the next Ike as he has the talent, he's just a bit late in the development program and has played only Div 1AA. He will be lucky to see the field this season.

OLB Chris Carter, could be the new Deebo, intirguing prospect, very fast, but needs a lot of coaching to take the next step. Could sneak into the 53.

G Keith Williams is nasty and intelligent, and if he can improve his pass protection, he could be supplanting Kemo in a years time?

RB Baron Batch could be a good 3rd down back, the new MeMo as it were? He's going to have his work cut out though, probably PS for the time being. Arains doesn't hardly use the backs to catch the ball and he's got 3 very good backs in front of him.

Time will tell, but I'm happy with what we did.
Old 04.05.2011, 08:42 AM
Starter

Thanks for the summary Towel.

I dont really follow the college game at all, cant imagine what would happen if I tried to fit watching that into the weekend schedule aswell.

I like the draft, its addressed the needs and has the usual late round OLB and RB to see what pans out.

Cam Heyward looks very good to me, hopefully he can make an impact quicker than Hood has. Hood looked very good at times last year so I think we should be better up front on D this year.

CB still is a weakness but as far as I can tell there wasn't anyone good enough left on the board in the first 2 rounds.

Surely the priority now (or when/if F.A starts) has to be keeping Ike T at any cost?
Old 04.05.2011, 11:40 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkyb View Post
Cam Heyward looks very good to me, hopefully he can make an impact quicker than Hood has. Hood looked very good at times last year so I think we should be better up front on D this year.
I see Heyward as the heir apparent to Smith and Hood as a better fit for Kiesels side of the line. Just need to find the NT next year and our line is hopefully set for a good few years.
Cam should be in the rotation straight-away (especially with Kiesel/Smith bodies seemingly not able to survive a full season) and I think he could be another great d-lineman for us in the years to come.

Gilbert should be challenging for a spot but don't expect him to start this year. I'm not expecting him to play at Pouncey like standards in his rookie year but he could have the potential to be the best left tackle on the team.

Both of the CB's could be productive or total busts (see 2009 draft) expect to see them on special teams. Browns an ex wideout so hopefully he can generate some turnovers from the nickel position. Allen has the heart & determination to earn his spot on special team and see how he develops after that.

Chris Carter is in an ideal situation to learn from the best. With him and Worilds we have 2 good looking replacements for Deebo when he decides to call it a day (or god forbid get injured)

Not sure about Williams, he's another nasty interior guard but very rough. Will need a lot of work if he's to get into future rotations. Expect him to end up on the PS.

I've been reading Baron Batch's online blog (http://baronbatch.blogspot.com/) and I really want this guy to succeed. He's coming off an injury and isn't as fast as he was at his peak in college. He catches the ball as good as any back in the league and if he adapts his game to compensate for his lost pace (hes still fast but not as fast - think Parker after he broke his leg) then he could be a good 3rd down back.
Old 04.05.2011, 11:48 AM
All Pro

I agree on us having to find a nose tackle next year, we're leaving it quite late to find Casey's replacement, hopefully we'll have another D'line deep draft as picking at 32, we could struggle to pick up a stud! ;-)

write up on cortez allen . . .

http://www.steelerschronicle.com/201...ez-allen.html/

Last edited by Terrible Towel; 04.05.2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: cus