Premier League Thread - Page 869 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 15.05.2011, 11:14 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegend View Post
personally i think that arguement will come down to personal opinion. Obviously domestically united lead 19-18 so they are top of the pearch as you put it but all things considered liverpool do have 2 more european cups although that could be reduced to 1 in a fortnight so for ME its even, they are both the most successfull clubs in english history, united fans will say they are at the top based on domestic titles, liverpool fans will say their euro cups mean they are still top, for me its too close to call.
For me it's Liverpool

Manchester United haven't always been a top team, whereas even when Liverpool haven't won titles, at least they've been in top flight football

Before the Premier League era, Manchester United had 7 league titles, Overall Liverpool have been more dominant in English football, Manchester United have absolutely dominated the 90s and 00s though
Old 15.05.2011, 11:31 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Jay_28 View Post
For me it's Liverpool

Manchester United haven't always been a top team, whereas even when Liverpool haven't won titles, at least they've been in top flight football

Before the Premier League era, Manchester United had 7 league titles, Overall Liverpool have been more dominant in English football, Manchester United have absolutely dominated the 90s and 00s though
Neither have Liverpool been... They were in the old 2nd division as recently as the late 50's/early 60's.... And their crowds were very poor, regularly getting around 10,000.

For me they are both on an equal level.... They both have won all the major trophies numerous times and deserve to be equals.
Old 15.05.2011, 11:32 AM
Hall of Fame

There is no doubt that Liverpool are still the iconic team from England as regards to the view from overseas.

Kinda like how Juventus are in Italy, the Johnny Come Latelies might consider AC Milan and Inter as the big guns in italy, but there isnt really any contest, Its alwas Juventus, which is ironic seeing as they have less Champions league/euro cups than both the Milan Giants.

For me there is a select historic band of Teams..

Juventus
Liverpool
Real Madrid
Bayern Munich
Ajax

in no order BTW.

And in South America its Flamengo,Penarol and Boca Juniors

The rest are just striving
Old 15.05.2011, 11:55 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruschi 54 View Post
Congrats to City, the fans, if nothing else, deserved some success after years of toil and hardship.
Good to see Mr wild rock star Liam Gallagher(?) celebrating with a glass
of sparkling rose!
Old 15.05.2011, 12:10 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vann_mcelroy View Post
For me there is a select historic band of Teams..

Juventus
Liverpool
Real Madrid
Bayern Munich
Ajax

in no order BTW.
Success is never truely appreciated in its own time. For me in years to come man utd will be on that list, maybe it takes another 10 years, maybe longer but they will join that list but itll probably be after they stop winning trophies.

What united have achieved over the last 20 years is historic, of that there isnt an arguement. Its europe thats let them down but 3 CL finals in 4 years is fanastic although i sense they do need to beat barca to be viewed over the world in the same way they are here in the uk and fergie knows it too but at some point united will stop winning trophies year after year and people will look back at this period and truely appreciate what man utd have achieved
Old 15.05.2011, 12:16 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegend View Post
Success is never truely appreciated in its own time. For me in years to come man utd will be on that list, maybe it takes another 10 years, maybe longer but they will join that list but itll probably be after they stop winning trophies.

What united have achieved over the last 20 years is historic, of that there isnt an arguement. Its europe thats let them down but 3 CL finals in 4 years is fanastic although i sense they do need to beat barca to be viewed over the world in the same way they are here in the uk and fergie knows it too but at some point united will stop winning trophies year after year and people will look back at this period and truely appreciate what man utd have achieved

Possible, if Man Utd win next week that makes 4.. they would warrent consideration in that list of mines
Same with Barca, the problem with them is that they will be ( for forseeable future) in the shadows of Real in domestic terms

Dark horse is Porto, 2 euro cups, and working on thier 2nd Uefa cup, if they can get another Euro Cup they vault Benfica and become an Elite team IMO.
Old 15.05.2011, 12:34 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryt View Post
Spot on, I've been saying it for years!!
I'm genuinely chuffed for Citeh's fans after all they have been through and its a great day here in Manchester, but I was horrified by Toure's dismissal of the trophy! He was passed it, sneered at it and then passed it on without even lifting it! All he was thinking about was the bonus cheque!
Coupled with that horror tackle he did not put himself in a good light!!
He looked at it and nodded and then lifted it up in the air, not sure what celebrations you were watching.
Old 15.05.2011, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Since the start of the Premier League, Utd have never finished lower than 3rd, and they've only finished that low 3 times. I believe there have been only 4 trophyless seasons since the beginning of the PL era.
They're worthy of including among any list of the elite clubs in the world.

Last edited by HSTDriver; 15.05.2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 15.05.2011, 01:17 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
Since the start of the Premier League, Utd have never finished lower than 3rd, and they've only finished that low 3 times. I believe there have been only 4 trophyless seasons since the beginning of the PL era.
They're worthy of including among any list of the elite clubs in the world.
Two champions league titles in 25 seasons Since fergie took over

The first one with two lucky set pieces in the last 3 minutes against a Bayern team than dominated them...

The second one took Chelsea hitting the woodwork TWICE in extra time, and a slip by Terry in the spotkicks...

Successful team yes...
Lucky ?
Even moreso( and any neutral would agree)
Old 15.05.2011, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vann_mcelroy View Post
Two champions league titles in 25 seasons Since fergie took over

The first one with two lucky set pieces in the last 3 minutes against a Bayern team than dominated them...

The second one took Chelsea hitting the woodwork TWICE in extra time, and a slip by Terry in the spotkicks...

Successful team yes...
Lucky ?
Even moreso( and any neutral would agree)
All teams need luck. You don't win that much silverware through luck alone. (and any neutral would agree)

Fergie has built and rebuilt (yes, at some expense) successive winning teams. Something Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal et all have failed to do.