2015 Draft. - Page 5 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 02.05.2015, 08:56 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMurphy81 View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question. But is there any way we can trade for a running back ie Peterson after the draft using next years picks? If so maybe this is the reason Jerry has used majority of picks to strengthen the D.
You can't rule it out completely, but I'd guess it's unlikely. Maybe you make it conditional on what success you have, a 2nd that becomes a 1st if you make the Super Bowl. BUT what would the other team get from it? Yes they get a 2016 pick, but that doesn't help them in 2015 does it? If I was a HC I'd want something that helps me now.

I expect it would take at least our 1st round pick in 2016 to get Peterson. I agree with the logic of building the D with that in mind, but still don't see it happening.

They clearly trust the O line, McFadden, Randle, Dunbar and Williams.

I'd sooner we kept all out early 2016 draft picks, we need to find our QB of the future at some point.
Old 02.05.2015, 09:05 PM
Team Captain

What you say makes sense regarding keeping the picks. Maybe pick up someone when teams make cuts in the summer.

I think bringing Peterson in with Gregory and Hardy might be pushing it.

Just trying to get into college football but heard there should be a bigger QB crop next year. Thats for next year though.
Old 02.05.2015, 09:21 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
What you say makes sense regarding keeping the picks. Maybe pick up someone when teams make cuts in the summer.

I think bringing Peterson in with Gregory and Hardy might be pushing it.

Just trying to get into college football but heard there should be a bigger QB crop next year. Thats for next year though.
Good to hear. I struggled for years to get into College Football, but being a draft addict I forced myself over the line.

Yes, next year looks like a much better year for QB's. a lot can happen in a year though, some of the names people put out there in June will fall throughout the year, others you don't hear of this summer will rise. That's what makes the process great!
Old 03.05.2015, 02:01 PM
Hall of Fame

So, on reflection:

1.27 (27) Byron Jones, CB/S, Connecticut
2.28 (60) Randy Gregory, DE, Nebraska
3.27 (91) Chaz Green, OT, Florida
4.28 (127) Damien Wilson, LB, Minnesota
5.27 (163) Ryan Russell, DE, Purdue
7.19 (236) Mark Nzeocha, LB, Wyoming
7.26 (243) Laurence Gibson, OT, Virginia Tech
7.29 (246) Geoff Swaim, TE, Texas.

I'm more comfortable with Gregory at 60, than I am with Jones at 27, but I'm comfortable with both. My initial reaction to taking Chaz Green at 91 was disappointment, but after finding his tape I'm ok with that. Did we need a LB at 127? I'd have been happier with a RB, but Mike Davis went the pick before, so i'll accept the pick. Again, with the focus on RB picking Russell was 'uncomfortable' but I can see the thought behind it if we move on from Hardy and/or Mincey next year. That said, just like LB we have a massive log jam at DE now.

The pick that mystified me was Nzeocha, our 14th LB, FOURTEENTH! The only reason I can see is because he's German. The NFL will take their International Series on the road at some point, and Germany will be the first stop. Yes, that's how far I'm reaching to explain why we selected an inexperienced linebacker coming off a knee injury in round 7.

I'm ok with Gibson (mainly because I drafted him in the 7th in the mock ), and we have comp picks next year, so perhaps trading away a 2016 6th isn't too big a deal for a blocking TE.

Last edited by RichardCunliffe; 03.05.2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03.05.2015, 09:15 PM
Hall of Fame

We signed Antwaan Goodley as an UDFA. I do wonder if he sees some time at RB down the line. I'd definitely give him a go there considering our lack of depth.
Old 05.05.2015, 06:09 PM
Hall of Fame

So the camera only told half the story. Broaddus tweeted Jason Garrett didn't look too pleased in the War Room because of Hardy's twitter comments, not because he wasn't all in on the Randy Gregory pick.

At the time it looked like Jerry was having to convince him the pick was the right move. I even wondered if he wanted a RB and got overruled. Apparently not.
Old 08.05.2015, 10:39 PM
Team Captain

Reading some reprts that Jerry would be reluctant but hasn't ruled out giving up a first round next year for a trade. Peterson rumours starts over again.
Old 09.05.2015, 08:26 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Reading some reprts that Jerry would be reluctant but hasn't ruled out giving up a first round next year for a trade. Peterson rumours starts over again.
He's so happy after the draft we've had, after we managed to get a 1st round talent as an UDFA. The season is 4 months away, but Jerry see's the Dallas Cowboys contending for a Super Bowl, plain and simple.

Crazy really, considering all we've done in real terms is lose the league leading RB to a division rival, add a DE who is currently suspended for 10 games, and then add several college players who have never played a down in the NFL.

Jerry wants a Super Bowl before he finishes with the Cowboys. That's what it comes down to. All the talk of not needing a RB goes up in smoke when JJ gets the adrenaline flowing through his veins, he's a gambler.

If Peterson is available for a 2016 1st round pick, then I'm going to say he's a Cowboy before September is out.
Old 09.05.2015, 02:36 PM
Team Captain

Risky going all in but as you say hes a gambler. Could come back to bite next year. If its going to get done surely gets done soon.
Old 09.05.2015, 02:46 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Risky going all in but as you say hes a gambler. Could come back to bite next year. If its going to get done surely gets done soon.
I've said it before, but the Vikes would need to feel comfortable with what they have/can get to replace Peterson. The 2016 1st round pick is great, but it doesn't help Mike Zimmer this year.

Jerry admitted himself that it hurts having to sit out round 1 of the draft (just look at the Seahawks in recent years). I'd hate it as a fan personally.

Things can change during the off season though, so I doubt anything is done just yet. I can't think of anyone else we could trade for to help us out to be honest? No other obvious RB's anyway. The only place I can think of is Murray/Mathews in Philli, but that move clearly wouldn't happen.

We will see............................