Formula One thread (2013 season onwards) - Page 95 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

  #941  
Old 24.07.2016, 07:30 PM
lee harris 10's Avatar
lee harris 10 lee harris 10 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 05.09.2010
Posts: 10,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
Not sure what the rule changes have to do with any one team dominating?

That's down to design and speed of the car. Would you prefer some sort of handicapping system like horse racing?
RedBull seemed to put aero ahead of raw speed when they had there domination but when they changed the rules merc just has the best power unit and its took 2 and a half years for RedBull to even get close on a regular basis.

Also what happened to teams who think outside the box like McClaren with there F-duct or Brawn with there double defuser.Think they mentioned that 2017 is yet another new start so lets hope that its not just more 1 horse races.

even when Vettle won his 4 world champs 2 where great fights with ferrari that went down to the last race,just seems this rule shift created a monster rather than level the playing field.

Last edited by lee harris 10; 24.07.2016 at 08:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #942  
Old 24.07.2016, 08:11 PM
lee harris 10's Avatar
lee harris 10 lee harris 10 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 05.09.2010
Posts: 10,236
Default

2014 19 grand prix mercedes won 16 with 11 1st/2nd
2015 19 grand prix mercedes won 16 with 12 1st/2nd
2016 11 gp's so far mercedes won 10

So since the last big rules change 49 grand prixs and a merc has won 42 times.
Reply With Quote
  #943  
Old 24.07.2016, 09:34 PM
Danny Bear's Avatar
Danny Bear Danny Bear is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 29.12.2010
Posts: 8,523
Default

Which rule change was this that was completely weighted in Mercedes favour and totally unfair to all the other teams then?

I was under the impression all teams are notified of rule changes at the same time, then it's down to designers and engineers to earn their money. seems not.

Curious to know which rule change it was though. .?
Reply With Quote
  #944  
Old 24.07.2016, 09:42 PM
Sunshine State's Avatar
Sunshine State Sunshine State is offline
Team Captain
 
Join Date: 01.11.2015
Posts: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
But we where told at silverstone that there was now going to be a zero tollerance on driver coaching and McClaren did as much as Mercedes with Rosberg 2 weeks ago.

11 grand prix done this year and only 10 mercedes wins,glad F1 changed those rules a few years ago because it was boring watching RedBull dominate.
But surely not telling the driver that if he changes gear his brakes may stop working completely is a safety issue, if it isn't then what is?
Reply With Quote
  #945  
Old 25.07.2016, 06:54 AM
Manic Patriot's Avatar
Manic Patriot Manic Patriot is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 21.01.2009
Posts: 3,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
Which rule change was this that was completely weighted in Mercedes favour and totally unfair to all the other teams then?

I was under the impression all teams are notified of rule changes at the same time, then it's down to designers and engineers to earn their money. seems not.

Curious to know which rule change it was though. .?
I rarely watch F1 but you have your head in the sands if you don't think the changes benefitted them. By your logic the engineers/designers at Merc weren't earning their money when Red Bulls were boring everybody.
Reply With Quote
  #946  
Old 25.07.2016, 10:42 AM
JensonF's Avatar
JensonF JensonF is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 03.09.2009
Posts: 6,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
Not sure what the rule changes have to do with any one team dominating?

That's down to design and speed of the car. Would you prefer some sort of handicapping system like horse racing?
Yes. Vettel should have to have his mom in the car to give him a slap every time he says the f-word on the radio and Rosberg should have Nikki Lauda in his car to tell him he's the fave driver in the Merc team when he gets a bit depressed or he doesn't look like winning.
Reply With Quote
  #947  
Old 25.07.2016, 10:57 AM
Danny Bear's Avatar
Danny Bear Danny Bear is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 29.12.2010
Posts: 8,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Patriot View Post
I rarely watch F1 but you have your head in the sands if you don't think the changes benefitted them. By your logic the engineers/designers at Merc weren't earning their money when Red Bulls were boring everybody.
Where did I say it didn't benefit them? If you read my post again. ....properly, you'll see I asked where anything UNFAIR had occurred.

Of course the Merc engineers were earning their money previously, but it just so happens that AdrIan Newey had Red Bull flying over that period you speak of. Just like the Ferrari boys had Schumacher flying when he dominated. That's F1 for you, teams will have different engineers with different ideas and more importantly different budgets...
Reply With Quote
  #948  
Old 25.07.2016, 11:15 AM
Manic Patriot's Avatar
Manic Patriot Manic Patriot is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 21.01.2009
Posts: 3,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
Where did I say it didn't benefit them? If you read my post again. ....properly, you'll see I asked where anything UNFAIR had occurred.

Of course the Merc engineers were earning their money previously, but it just so happens that AdrIan Newey had Red Bull flying over that period you speak of. Just like the Ferrari boys had Schumacher flying when he dominated. That's F1 for you, teams will have different engineers with different ideas and more importantly different budgets...
If you read my post properly I never said the changes were unfair
Reply With Quote
  #949  
Old 25.07.2016, 12:08 PM
Danny Bear's Avatar
Danny Bear Danny Bear is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 29.12.2010
Posts: 8,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Patriot View Post
If you read my post properly I never said the changes were unfair
I'm well aware of that, you challenged me on something I never even said.

Irony of that being you said I had my head in the sand. LOL
Reply With Quote
  #950  
Old 25.07.2016, 12:36 PM
Manic Patriot's Avatar
Manic Patriot Manic Patriot is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 21.01.2009
Posts: 3,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
Of course the Merc engineers were earning their money previously, but it just so happens that AdrIan Newey had Red Bull flying over that period you speak of. Just like the Ferrari boys had Schumacher flying when he dominated. That's F1 for you, teams will have different engineers with different ideas and more importantly different budgets...
So why call out other team engineers saying they weren't earning their money if they haven't caught up with the current top boys? You could just as easy argue they are now but the Merc boys are flying whilst they try to catch up. Just enjoy the ride whilst your team is on top.

It's not my head in the sand, thank you.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 06:42 AM.