Formula One thread (2013 season onwards) - Page 95 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 24.07.2016, 07:30 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
Not sure what the rule changes have to do with any one team dominating?

That's down to design and speed of the car. Would you prefer some sort of handicapping system like horse racing?
RedBull seemed to put aero ahead of raw speed when they had there domination but when they changed the rules merc just has the best power unit and its took 2 and a half years for RedBull to even get close on a regular basis.

Also what happened to teams who think outside the box like McClaren with there F-duct or Brawn with there double defuser.Think they mentioned that 2017 is yet another new start so lets hope that its not just more 1 horse races.

even when Vettle won his 4 world champs 2 where great fights with ferrari that went down to the last race,just seems this rule shift created a monster rather than level the playing field.

Last edited by lee harris 10; 24.07.2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 24.07.2016, 08:11 PM
Hall of Fame

2014 19 grand prix mercedes won 16 with 11 1st/2nd
2015 19 grand prix mercedes won 16 with 12 1st/2nd
2016 11 gp's so far mercedes won 10

So since the last big rules change 49 grand prixs and a merc has won 42 times.
Old 24.07.2016, 09:34 PM
MVP

Which rule change was this that was completely weighted in Mercedes favour and totally unfair to all the other teams then?

I was under the impression all teams are notified of rule changes at the same time, then it's down to designers and engineers to earn their money. seems not.

Curious to know which rule change it was though. .?
Old 24.07.2016, 09:42 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
But we where told at silverstone that there was now going to be a zero tollerance on driver coaching and McClaren did as much as Mercedes with Rosberg 2 weeks ago.

11 grand prix done this year and only 10 mercedes wins,glad F1 changed those rules a few years ago because it was boring watching RedBull dominate.
But surely not telling the driver that if he changes gear his brakes may stop working completely is a safety issue, if it isn't then what is?
Old 25.07.2016, 06:54 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Which rule change was this that was completely weighted in Mercedes favour and totally unfair to all the other teams then?

I was under the impression all teams are notified of rule changes at the same time, then it's down to designers and engineers to earn their money. seems not.

Curious to know which rule change it was though. .?
I rarely watch F1 but you have your head in the sands if you don't think the changes benefitted them. By your logic the engineers/designers at Merc weren't earning their money when Red Bulls were boring everybody.
Old 25.07.2016, 10:42 AM
MVP

Quote:
Not sure what the rule changes have to do with any one team dominating?

That's down to design and speed of the car. Would you prefer some sort of handicapping system like horse racing?
Yes. Vettel should have to have his mom in the car to give him a slap every time he says the f-word on the radio and Rosberg should have Nikki Lauda in his car to tell him he's the fave driver in the Merc team when he gets a bit depressed or he doesn't look like winning.
Old 25.07.2016, 10:57 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Patriot View Post
I rarely watch F1 but you have your head in the sands if you don't think the changes benefitted them. By your logic the engineers/designers at Merc weren't earning their money when Red Bulls were boring everybody.
Where did I say it didn't benefit them? If you read my post again. ....properly, you'll see I asked where anything UNFAIR had occurred.

Of course the Merc engineers were earning their money previously, but it just so happens that AdrIan Newey had Red Bull flying over that period you speak of. Just like the Ferrari boys had Schumacher flying when he dominated. That's F1 for you, teams will have different engineers with different ideas and more importantly different budgets...
Old 25.07.2016, 11:15 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Where did I say it didn't benefit them? If you read my post again. ....properly, you'll see I asked where anything UNFAIR had occurred.

Of course the Merc engineers were earning their money previously, but it just so happens that AdrIan Newey had Red Bull flying over that period you speak of. Just like the Ferrari boys had Schumacher flying when he dominated. That's F1 for you, teams will have different engineers with different ideas and more importantly different budgets...
If you read my post properly I never said the changes were unfair
Old 25.07.2016, 12:08 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Patriot View Post
If you read my post properly I never said the changes were unfair
I'm well aware of that, you challenged me on something I never even said.

Irony of that being you said I had my head in the sand. LOL
Old 25.07.2016, 12:36 PM
All Pro

Quote:
So why call out other team engineers saying they weren't earning their money if they haven't caught up with the current top boys? You could just as easy argue they are now but the Merc boys are flying whilst they try to catch up. Just enjoy the ride whilst your team is on top.

It's not my head in the sand, thank you.