Formula One thread (2013 season onwards) - Page 119 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

  #1181  
Old 09.07.2017, 07:07 PM
lee harris 10's Avatar
lee harris 10 lee harris 10 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 05.09.2010
Posts: 10,236
Default

so Bottas is now only 15pts behind Lewis,is this bad news for Mercedes as unlike Ferrari cant reall go all in and favour 1 driver in the championship yet.

pretty average GP today with no rain so just 12 stops and not much over-taking until it was too late on the last lap when it started to ge really interesting for 1st and 3rd.
Reply With Quote
  #1182  
Old 09.07.2017, 07:19 PM
iffies's Avatar
iffies iffies is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 08.09.2006
Posts: 5,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
so Bottas is now only 15pts behind Lewis,is this bad news for Mercedes as unlike Ferrari cant reall go all in and favour 1 driver in the championship yet.

pretty average GP today with no rain so just 12 stops and not much over-taking until it was too late on the last lap when it started to ge really interesting for 1st and 3rd.
For the teams it's all about winning the constructors championship, if one of their drivers wins the drivers championship that's an added bonus. So having two drivers capable of scoring big points each race rather than just putting all their eggs in one basket puts them in a much better position.
Reply With Quote
  #1183  
Old 10.07.2017, 01:07 PM
JensonF's Avatar
JensonF JensonF is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 03.09.2009
Posts: 6,554
Default

Crap car syndrome for Hamilton and Alonso; the Austrian GP really needed some rain to liven up another dull procession.

Not much better in Iowa; even the crashes were just a bit of a scrape against the wall, giving the hoover van a chance to come out and get rid of some bits. Domination by Castroneves, but at his victory rate, he's not due for another until about 2021!
Reply With Quote
  #1184  
Old 11.07.2017, 12:09 PM
Tamar Raider's Avatar
Tamar Raider Tamar Raider is offline
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: 12.08.2013
Posts: 973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensonF View Post
Not much better in Iowa; even the crashes were just a bit of a scrape against the wall, giving the hoover van a chance to come out and get rid of some bits. Domination by Castroneves, but at his victory rate, he's not due for another until about 2021!
Probably the least entertaining of all the IndyCar races this season.
Reply With Quote
  #1185  
Old 11.07.2017, 09:32 PM
iffies's Avatar
iffies iffies is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 08.09.2006
Posts: 5,108
Default

Silverstone has activated the break clause meaning that there might not be a British Grand Prix after 2019. Plenty of time to thrash out an agreement though, possibly something similar to the one that sees the French race back on the calendar next year after a gap of ten years, where Bernie owns the circuit (he's not daft despite appearances) and rents the track to the promoters.
Reply With Quote
  #1186  
Old 11.07.2017, 09:40 PM
lee harris 10's Avatar
lee harris 10 lee harris 10 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 05.09.2010
Posts: 10,236
Default

the BRDC say they lost £2.8m in 2015 and £4.8m in 2016 but surely they signed the contract in 2009 so must know how much money they need to generate to break even.surely they need to look at the ticket prices as then expect 350,000 fans each year but cant balance the books.

Liberty do seem to want to expand the sport with upto 20 races so surely they can't start by losing the British GP with reports a while back that the German GP could be going as well due to money.

Last edited by lee harris 10; 12.07.2017 at 06:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1187  
Old 12.07.2017, 09:14 PM
lee harris 10's Avatar
lee harris 10 lee harris 10 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 05.09.2010
Posts: 10,236
Default

F1 comes to London for a big event before the british GP and Lewis is too busy to attend.
Reply With Quote
  #1188  
Old 14.07.2017, 09:13 AM
Sunshine State's Avatar
Sunshine State Sunshine State is offline
Team Captain
 
Join Date: 01.11.2015
Posts: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
the BRDC say they lost £2.8m in 2015 and £4.8m in 2016 but surely they signed the contract in 2009 so must know how much money they need to generate to break even.surely they need to look at the ticket prices as then expect 350,000 fans each year but cant balance the books.

Liberty do seem to want to expand the sport with upto 20 races so surely they can't start by losing the British GP with reports a while back that the German GP could be going as well due to money.
If the BRDC aren't making money at the prices they are charging then the contract with F1 must have been extortionate, makes you wonder why they signed it in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #1189  
Old 14.07.2017, 10:43 AM
lee harris 10's Avatar
lee harris 10 lee harris 10 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 05.09.2010
Posts: 10,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine State View Post
If the BRDC aren't making money at the prices they are charging then the contract with F1 must have been extortionate, makes you wonder why they signed it in the first place.
it was signed in 2009 so cant remember if there was competition from other possible UK circuits maybe pushing up the price.
Reply With Quote
  #1190  
Old 14.07.2017, 10:49 AM
iffies's Avatar
iffies iffies is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 08.09.2006
Posts: 5,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
it was signed in 2009 so cant remember if there was competition from other possible UK circuits maybe pushing up the price.
Can't believe they thought a 5% per year increase was a good idea though. Maybe if the Circuit of Wales ever gets done that would be a good alternative. Donington and Brands Hatch would probably need too much money spent to bring them up to scratch to be viable, and a street circuit in London??!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 11:33 PM.