NFLUK 2019 7 round Mock Draft-Discussion thread - Page 126 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 17.04.2019, 08:27 AM
All Pro

**UDFA Alert** - Please read carefully!

UDFA is open for anyone wanting to put in early bids.
The process will take place over 3 days from Mon 22nd to Wed 24th.
Each day you will have a budget that doesn't roll over to the next day (and can't be traded ) so make sure you spend it all each day.
Day 1 budget is 20 credits, Day 2 budget is 15 credits & Day 3 budget is 10 credits.

Bids should be PM'ed or preferably (due to forum mail limits!) emailed to me - maguiremick@gmail.com - with the following format:
Your Team
1) Player A, Position, School, Bid (number of credits)
2) Player B, Position, School, Bid ..etc

If two teams tie for a player with their bids I'll literally flip a coin for who gets him or use a random generator if it's more than two.

The deadline for Day 1 bids will be 7pm Monday (with day 2 7pm Tuesday, day 3 7pm Wednesday). I'll try to post them promptly after that (hopefully within an hour or 2), but any later submissions may delay me as I re-adjust so please get them in to me as early as possible!

And what would also be helpful is if you do a search on the picks history thread for your players before submitting them to check they haven't already been drafted! (Ctrl + F to find)
Also, if you have bid on a player already drafted, you will lose those credits!

I will post the results each day in the picks thread, will ask Wayne to update the thread first page (after rnd 7) when he can to keep them as a record there.

As always, if anyone sees any discrepancies, please let me know as we have had a few in the past where the players have gone by different names in public!

Good luck to all!
Cheers, Mick
Old 18.04.2019, 07:03 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollyrules View Post
Right so here goes...Patriots draft analysis!

So I started off with 12 picks...

First: 32nd overall
Second: 56th overall
Second: 64th overall
Third: 73rd overall
Third: 97th overall
Third: 101st overall
Fourth: 134th overall
Sixth: 205th overall
Seventh: 239th overall
Seventh: 243rd overall
Seventh: 246th overall
Seventh: 252nd overall

And then via numerous trades ended up with 18 (I believe) - who were the following

Second: 47th Overall - Kahale Warring, TE, San Diego State
Third: 66th Overall - Charles Omenihu, DL, Texas
Third: 73rd Overall - Anthony Nelson, DL, Iowa
Third: 75th Overall - Bobby Evans, OT, Oklahoma
Third: 97th Overall - Daylon Mack, DL, Texas A&M
Third: 101st Overall - Will Harris, S, Boston College
Fourth: 118th Overall - Will Grier, QB, West Virginia
Fourth: 134th Overall - Jalen Hurd, WR, Baylor
Fifth: 143rd Overall - Antoine Wesley, WR, Texas Tech
Fifth: 144th Overall - Hunter Renfrow, WR, Clemson
Fifth: 171st Overall - Keenan Brown, TE, Texas State
Sixth: 205th Overall - Donald Parham, TE, Stetson
Seventh: 219th Overall - Tony Pollard, RB, Memphis
Seventh: 225th Overall - Ty Summers, LB, TCU
Seventh: 243rd Overall - Hamp Cheevers, CB, Boston College
Seventh: 245th Overall - Saquan Hampton, S, Rutgers
Seventh: 246th Overall - Jon Baker, OL, Boston College
Seventh: 252nd Overall - Jon Ledbetter, DE, Georgia

Righto - my overall analysis is I wanted to accumulate as many picks as possible this year, after trading up last year and not having many. But I think I traded down once too often from #32, and thus missing out on Jerry Tillery by one pick (he went 46th overall) will haunt me, because he was my guy, and thus I slightly reached for Warring. Otherwise I am happy with the trading and managed to get most of "my guys" I wanted

QB - Very happy to have picked up Grier, think he has a shot of coming in and being the backup right away with the ability to take over from Brady after a couple of years of learning behind him. He's my QB3 behind Haskins/Murray

RB - Not really a need, but Pollard has a shot to make the side as a returner/special teamer and 4th RB (James White's backup)

WR - Obviously a position of need for the Patriots, so wanted to take a bit of quantity here. Hurd and Renfrow have the traits they look for at the position, and in particular I like Hurd's potential to progress. Wesley is a bit of a red zone weapon type for me, the one I like least of the three

TE - Again a position of need for the Patriots, and as stated Warring is my absolute draft crush, he can come in and be a TE2 from day one imo. Keenan Brown is a potential H Back type of TE, and Donald Parham I am just swinging on a potential red zone weapon - albeit the final two are more likely practice squad candidate for the 2019 season.

OL - Needed to get a backup/swing tackle and Bobby Evans can come in and do that from day one - I also think he has the potential to take over from Marcus Cannon in a years time at RT. Jon Baker is just a punt on someone to compete with Ted Karras for the backup guard role, unlikely to make the final roster to be honest

DL - Again a position of need for the Pats after their off season losses and probably the position I am happiest with in my draft - love Omenihu and Mack's ability to come straight into the rotation at DT, and in Omenihu's case he can play DE on early downs and shift inside on passing downs. I can't believe Anthony Nelson isn't ranked higher by draft analysts, to me he just looks like a Patriot DE and I think will be a starter at very least for a decade. Ledbetter likely a practice squad candidate

LB - not a need, so Ty Summers has to beat out Elandon Roberts for a roster spot (unlikely)

CB/S - CB is the Pats best position group, so Cheevers likely again a practice squadder - but happy to pickup Will Harris to come in and compete to take over the Chung role in a year or two. Hampton is the leader late round type the Pats like, he is competing with Nate Ebner for a roster spot essentially

What do you guys think?
Not much clearly
Old 18.04.2019, 07:44 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:

And then via numerous trades ended up with 18 (I believe) - who were the following

Righto - my overall analysis is I wanted to accumulate as many picks as possible this year, after trading up last year and not having many. But I think I traded down once too often from #32, and thus missing out on Jerry Tillery by one pick (he went 46th overall) will haunt me, because he was my guy, and thus I slightly reached for Warring. Otherwise I am happy with the trading and managed to get most of "my guys" I wanted

QB - Very happy to have picked up Grier, think he has a shot of coming in and being the backup right away with the ability to take over from Brady after a couple of years of learning behind him. He's my QB3 behind Haskins/Murray

RB - Not really a need, but Pollard has a shot to make the side as a returner/special teamer and 4th RB (James White's backup)

WR - Obviously a position of need for the Patriots, so wanted to take a bit of quantity here. Hurd and Renfrow have the traits they look for at the position, and in particular I like Hurd's potential to progress. Wesley is a bit of a red zone weapon type for me, the one I like least of the three

TE - Again a position of need for the Patriots, and as stated Warring is my absolute draft crush, he can come in and be a TE2 from day one imo. Keenan Brown is a potential H Back type of TE, and Donald Parham I am just swinging on a potential red zone weapon - albeit the final two are more likely practice squad candidate for the 2019 season.

OL - Needed to get a backup/swing tackle and Bobby Evans can come in and do that from day one - I also think he has the potential to take over from Marcus Cannon in a years time at RT. Jon Baker is just a punt on someone to compete with Ted Karras for the backup guard role, unlikely to make the final roster to be honest

DL - Again a position of need for the Pats after their off season losses and probably the position I am happiest with in my draft - love Omenihu and Mack's ability to come straight into the rotation at DT, and in Omenihu's case he can play DE on early downs and shift inside on passing downs. I can't believe Anthony Nelson isn't ranked higher by draft analysts, to me he just looks like a Patriot DE and I think will be a starter at very least for a decade. Ledbetter likely a practice squad candidate

LB - not a need, so Ty Summers has to beat out Elandon Roberts for a roster spot (unlikely)

CB/S - CB is the Pats best position group, so Cheevers likely again a practice squadder - but happy to pickup Will Harris to come in and compete to take over the Chung role in a year or two. Hampton is the leader late round type the Pats like, he is competing with Nate Ebner for a roster spot essentially

What do you guys think?
The ultimate test of accumulating picks isn't it?

I'm a fan of the trade back approach, especially early on (dependening on the board'. As you said, you just have to be careful you don't trade back too far and miss out on a specific 'tier' of prospect.

With all those picks I like how you went heavy on certain positions, WR/TE/DL, although i would've been tempted to take at least one WR a little earlier than you did. I wouldn't change the Nelson pick, but perhaps a WR at another spot in the 3rd? (Boykin perhaps or someone at 97 or 101? Not sure what the WR board looked like at the time).

Grier, at 118, another nice pick up.

Jon Leadbetter isn't anything flashy, but I wonder if he'll manage to stick on a roster somewhere.

We'll certainly see if mining the latter rounds of the draft is the way to go!
Old 18.04.2019, 08:21 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Not much clearly
there were too many words, I couldn't get to the end of it...
Old 18.04.2019, 09:50 AM
Team Captain

Blimey, imagine BB having 18 picks in the real draft, how would he cope.
Old 18.04.2019, 12:01 PM
All Pro

You took a hell of a lot of players I didn't know so....

Cheevers I like but I suppose time will tell whether getting a whole boat load of late round flyers pays off?
Old 18.04.2019, 03:50 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Not much clearly
You were mainly drafting for areas that weren't necessarily a priority for me so can't comment greatly but I do like the pick of Omenihu who is the sort of pick the Patriots really like - a multi faceted guy on the defensive line who can rush from both the Edge or in the gaps

I considered Cheevers in Rd7 myself, & Hurd seems to be an ascending talent at this stage
Old 19.04.2019, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

What do you guys think?
Probably like the Omenihu and Renfrow picks the most out of those, and Grier was nice value in the 4th considering he’s likely to go earlier in the real thing.
Old 20.04.2019, 07:38 AM
Pro Bowler

Really sorry guys for being absolutely useless at the end of the draft there - thought I was going to have more internet and free time in south africa than I did. Won't go volunteer whilst trying to draft next year!

Thank you for covering for me
Old 20.04.2019, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latic View Post
Really sorry guys for being absolutely useless at the end of the draft there - thought I was going to have more internet and free time in south africa than I did. Won't go volunteer whilst trying to draft next year!

Thank you for covering for me
No problem, hope the player(s) we voted to you were ok? Just a reminder that UDFA starts on Monday, if any of your targets are still available...