Broncos, Bears agree on deal for Cutler - Page 13 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 03.04.2009, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Williams is not a good fit at RT he is a finesse blocker and better in pass protection than against the run.

Chicago have already stated that 'if' (the statement was made prior to signing him) they signed Pace he would be playing on the left. To me Pace gets the nod over Williams for one year with the belief that he will imbibe some knowledge over that time.

The opening day line should look like this:

Pace/Beekman/Kreutz/Garza/Schaffer

Williams will come in situationally and see plenty of playing time but I doubt he starts. Williams was also used as a blocking TE towards the end of last season and I expect that formation to see more time this year to improve our pass pro.
Old 03.04.2009, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign View Post
So the Bears spent 2 firsts and chump change on a QB that has a losing record, and Kansas got one with a winning record for a 2nd?

See J.McD has accomplished his secret mission for BB then, sent a cry baby to the Bears and Denver now have so many first round picks they won't be able to sign them all.
Winning/Losing is irrelevant. According to ESPN Cutler was 8-1 when Denver's D kept teams in check 20 points per game. Their d has averaged a startling 32 points against per game. It doesn't matter who you are that is tough to overcome.
Old 03.04.2009, 10:21 AM
All Pro

From day 1 I supported Cutler on this one and he now has his wishes a move out of Denver. Chicago have now got themselves a franchise quarterback, problem is Jay isn't going to have recievers like he did in Denver although he will have a better defense.

McDaniels has got off to a bad start in Denver, he's going to have to be careful now with the fans and players who may have already deserted him before the Broncos have even played a down.
Old 03.04.2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
So the Bears spent 2 firsts and chump change on a QB that has a losing record, and Kansas got one with a winning record for a 2nd?

See J.McD has accomplished his secret mission for BB then, sent a cry baby to the Bears and Denver now have so many first round picks they won't be able to sign them all.
Trent Dilfer has a Superbowl win, let's bring him out of retirement and make him a wanted commodity. Kyle Boller has a career winning record as a starter, why is he a free agent? Clearly winning record is the be all and end all for QBs isn't it?
Old 03.04.2009, 10:24 AM
Hall of Fame

It's also worth pointing out that Orton's W/L record is 21-12, so if we are going to go down that route, then surely by your own definitions, Orton represents far more than 'chump change'.
Old 03.04.2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:

LOL.

Except Cassel had a excellent cast around him. Give him Denver's defence and injuries all around him, especially at RB and we'll see how good he is.

And Cutler has a proven college career behind him. Cassel just had to fetch water for Palmer and Leinart.

I can't believe how people think football is a one-person game.
Old 03.04.2009, 10:30 AM
All Pro

Losing record? His record when the Broncos D conedes 21 points or fewer is 13-1.

The 1 was an OT loss to the PAckers where he didn't touch the ball.
Old 03.04.2009, 10:35 AM
All Pro

I don’t think they’ve given up a lot for Cutler myself.

18th overall pick plus a mid to late 1st next year plus a 3rd. That amounts to about the same as the Broncos gave up for Cutler when they initially drafted him IMO, which leaves Orton to make up the difference. I think Orton started out really well last year but I think there’s still work to do and he doesn’t have that high of a ceiling.

Personally I think the odds are that the Broncos can’t replace Cutler with those picks. If I was Bowlen I would have told Cutler from the outset that the only way he leaves Denver is in a coffin and told McDaniels to sort it out. I really feel that you should never, ever trade a player like Cutler at this stage of his career unless you get some ridiculous Herschel Walker type deal.

I don’t think Sanchez is going to get out of the top 10 so can’t see the Broncos getting him at 12. Maybe they trade up? Whatever. I think Josh McDaniels is a f***ing clown and he’s very probably set the Broncos back years. When he took over they had the pieces to have a high powered offence for the next 5 to 10 years. I still think they’ve got a pretty good line, but take Cutler out and add in Brandon Marshall’s suspension… even if the Orton thing works out well, which it might, I still think the offence is going to be decent or good this year rather than explosive or high powered. Cutler was always the most important piece in the puzzle and he’ll be the hardest to replace.

On the other hand the defence looks like a complete mess. The following sentence is from a recent Football Outsiders article and pretty much sums up why the Broncos D is going to stink this year:

Quote:
The starters on the Broncos' depth chart on the defensive line currently include Tim Crowder (who has played in only 15 games in his first two seasons in the league) and Carlton Powell (a fifth-round pick in 2008 who missed his entire rookie season with a torn Achilles tendon).
They have holes ALL OVER THE PLACE. The free agents they have signed are going to do an average job at best for a short time. Andra Davis, Andre’ Goodman… these are no better than the guys they replace, just better suited to the new defence. I also think it’s going to be a long year in Denver and I wouldn’t be shocked if McDaniels was one and done as a head coach. The offence was the reason they weren’t drafting in the top 5 this year, trade away your team MVP and I think the odds are they’re drafting top 5 next year.

For the Bears, they’re going to need to use free agency more in the coming years, but long term I think this was a really good move. For whoever was saying that the Bears were going to draft a WR in the 1st – I think the fact they signed a FA tackle hours after trading their 1st round pick suggests to me pretty strongly that they planned to take a tackle in the first round. The fact that they are playing the declining Pace at LT and moving Williams to RT suggest to me pretty strongly that already they don’t think Williams is very good. The line is a much bigger problem for the Bears than WR IMO.

Plus the other problem this throws up for them is that they also have big needs defensively. They really need to hit on some mid and late round players that can do a job in their system on that side of the ball. The Colts have done a pretty good job of it in recent years, so it can be done, but actually I think most people underestimate the Bears’ problems on defence. The last couple of years they have been moving in the wrong direction there, and this trade has a big effect on their ability to turn that around.
Old 03.04.2009, 10:36 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksgtmason View Post
franchise Quarterback mate, you have to overpay sometimes to get him, and franchise qb trumps any major players you may have, as it makes or breaks the franchise for a number of years, see the careers of peyton manning and ryan leaf as proof of this.
Well true, but does Cutler have the potential to be as good as Peyton Manning? I cant see it!
Old 03.04.2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_chicane View Post
Well true, but does Cutler have the potential to be as good as Peyton Manning? I cant see it!
If he gets his head out of his **** and stops being so temperamental and whiny then yes, he actually does have the potential. But potential is a majorly different thing from doing it.