Ditch Parker today - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Pittsburgh Steelers

Old 13.10.2009, 07:26 PM
Pro

Default Ditch Parker today

You boys need to move Parker aside for Rashard.

My missus is a big steelers fan so I have been subjected to quite a few steelers games on gamepass. All I can say is Mr Mendenhall needs the starting slot without a shadow of doubt!

See you in the superbowl chaps.......(if you ditch Parker, and get Troy back in one piece that is! lol)
Old 13.10.2009, 09:58 PM
All Pro

If the Steelers' O-line keep blocking like they have in the last two games, I'd fancy my chances of getting a few yards there! Seriously, Mendenhall has benefitted from superior pass-blocking and inferior run defences in the past 2 weeks, so the Steelers shouldn't be in a hurry to ditch Parker just yet. He needs to come back to full fitness and prove he can do it; or not.
Old 14.10.2009, 10:36 AM
All Pro

I have to completely disagree, Mendy although has looked good the past 2 weeks but before that he looked pretty awful! I definately think it will help having Willie in the mix and having Mendy as an option to start when he's needed.

I could also say the same about Jacobs/Bradshaw after last weeks performance.
Old 14.10.2009, 11:39 AM
All Pro

Willie is still a good ball player, he thrives on being 100% fit though, I don't think we'll be rushing him back into action too soon.

The truth is Mendy has better tools to cope with our pretty poor run blocking. He's proved to be more decisive at spotting the minimal gaps that are there at the moment, and his added power and strength makes him more durable. He is also adept at finding the soft spots and catching the ball, much better than Willie is.

Personally I feel Mendy had done enough to justify keeping the starting role, even when Parker returns.

We might enjoy some success this coming week, but the acid test will be the Vikes run defense, I see our running game quickly taking a back step in that game.
Old 14.10.2009, 11:56 AM
Pro

On your game against the chargers,

Mendenhall ran a workhorse 29 times for 165 yards, scored on both chances at the goal line, caught two passes for 26 yards and blocked like Dan Kreider.
He became only the sixth Steeler to rush for at least 165 yards and two touchdowns in the same game since 1970.
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09280...#ixzz0TuTQ6XLt

Pretty impressive stuff, but to be fair I haven't seen him play much prior to this season, so hard for me to compare comprehensively.

On the occasions I've seen Parker play he just fails to impress me. Mendenhall kind of reminds me of Jacobs, and his ability to plough through and make the plays when required. I was gutted when Barber left us, but then we were blessed with a Jacobs / Bradshaw / Ward combo that was far superior.

Just think you should give him a chance......and maybe just "extend" Parker's injury a few more weeks :-)

Last edited by TootingGiants; 14.10.2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 14.10.2009, 01:00 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootingGiants View Post
On your game against the chargers,

Mendenhall ran a workhorse 29 times for 165 yards, scored on both chances at the goal line, caught two passes for 26 yards and blocked like Dan Kreider.
He became only the sixth Steeler to rush for at least 165 yards and two touchdowns in the same game since 1970.
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09280...#ixzz0TuTQ6XLt

Pretty impressive stuff, but to be fair I haven't seen him play much prior to this season, so hard for me to compare comprehensively.

On the occasions I've seen Parker play he just fails to impress me. Mendenhall kind of reminds me of Jacobs, and his ability to plough through and make the plays when required. I was gutted when Barber left us, but then we were blessed with a Jacobs / Bradshaw / Ward combo that was far superior.

Just think you should give him a chance......and maybe just "extend" Parker's injury a few more weeks :-)
My gran could probably run for 165 yards against the chargers...

When healthy Parker was a great RB and served us well, but his contract is up at the end of the season and I doubt he will get an extension. So Mendy needs to keep getting plety of touches so Tomlin can decide if he is the future of our running game.
If he can overcome his injuries Parker still has a future on the team this year.

The biggest problem could be Arians, as he has a trendandcy to lose the run plays from his playbook (2nd half against detroit for instance) which might limit the number of touches that both players get and leave us none the wiser about what we have...
Old 14.10.2009, 08:29 PM
Team Captain

give them both an equal chance and see who proves themself
Old 15.10.2009, 02:11 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshiremulisha View Post
My gran could probably run for 165 yards against the chargers...
And in the playoffs last year Parker had over 170 yards against the Chargers when they had Jamal Williams in at NT. For some reason we just match-up well with them.

If Mendenhall has a good game against a team that actually has a run defence then I'll be a believer. Until then Willie should keep his job.
Old 15.10.2009, 04:08 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine View Post
If Mendenhall has a good game against a team that actually has a run defence then I'll be a believer. Until then Willie should keep his job.
I kinda agree and disagree with what you have to say.

I am also not 100% convinced about Mendy, he looked terrible on the few opportunities he had last season and again this year in pre-season.
He broke a couple of plays against Chicago, got benched against the bungals and then had a good game against a team with a rubbish run D and then a decent game against a team that has 1 win in over 20 games (until Arians forgot about him).

Parker had a slow start to the season which was partly down to him having no preseason and playing aginst 2 pretty good defenses then he played well against Cincy and then got injured. I believe that Nike have made him some special trainers that will probably enable him to play on sunday.
He has proved in the past that he can do the job, but he is out of contract at the end of the season and with his injury record in recent seasons probably wont get renewed.

The Steelers are built to win now, so whoever Tomlin thinks can contribute the most now will play, but at the same time we need to know exactly where Mendy is - Can he be a number 1 back for the Steelers? Or do we need to draft a new back next year?

I think Mendy has moved up to number 1 in the draft charts so will probably start again on sunday if Parker dresses or not. But I expect the load to be shared whenever Parker does return. The Brownies have the worst run D in the league so I expect whoever starts to put up big numbers, the vikings game will be the big test. If Mendy does well against them, then I am on the bangwagon.
Old 15.10.2009, 08:37 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshiremulisha View Post
...the vikings game will be the big test. If Mendy does well against them, then I am on the bangwagon.
Yup - though Shaun Rogers should be back for Cleveland so it won't be as easy as it could have been against them. Either way it's good to finally be seeing this sort of production from him.