Major wrong wrong wrong - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 05.02.2014, 08:09 PM
Team Captain

Default Major wrong wrong wrong

According to Pro Football Focus (subscription required), Wright finished with a final grade of minus-27.4, the worst mark among all 86 qualifying safeties. Conte wasn't far behind at minus-15.8, which finished at No. 82 overall.

Overall, the two graded out at an NFL worst minus-43.8. The next closest safety combination was found in Jacksonville, where the Jaguars' rookie combination of John Cyprien and Josh Evans finished at minus-28.4.
Old 20.02.2014, 01:44 PM
Team Captain

Wow! I knew they were bad but those stats are grim. Some sources are suggesting that the Bears will draft a safety with their first pick but most "experts" think we'll go for DL Timmy Jernigan (if nobody else selects him first). I don't know enough about the free-agent safeties to say whether the Bears should try to fix their secondary through free-agency or not. Do you think there's enough quality at the position in the draft this year to give the Bears a Major(pun intended) upgrade?
Old 20.02.2014, 02:17 PM
MVP

I think its been reported a few times that Emery doesnt value the saftey position as high as others on D, so I would be surprised if we spent a first rounder there. There are quite a few FA's to possibly go for heres is a full list

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/safety/

I know we have already been mentioned in the same sentance as Roman Harper who was cut by NO a couple of weeks ago. He has the sort of skill set we missed last year and thats being a huge presence in the tackle box, he isnt the best in coverage though, so I am hoping we look elsewhere.
Old 20.02.2014, 02:29 PM
Team Captain

Yeah maybe our safeties wouldn't look so bad if the defensive line gets fixed. Looking at the list, I have seen discussions on Bleacher Report and Windy City Gridiron linking us with Jairus Byrd and there was some mention of TJ Ward too. I guess it depends on the Bears salary cap, as I understand there's not much room for manoeuvre unless some cuts are made.
Old 20.02.2014, 02:36 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahriman View Post
Yeah maybe our safeties wouldn't look so bad if the defensive line gets fixed. Looking at the list, I have seen discussions on Bleacher Report and Windy City Gridiron linking us with Jairus Byrd and there was some mention of TJ Ward too. I guess it depends on the Bears salary cap, as I understand there's not much room for manoeuvre unless some cuts are made.
I dont think there is any chance the Brownies let Ward walk, they'll tag him before he hits the open market.

And with Emery not valuing the position high, I dont think we throw a ton of money at it either.

Lets be honest we dont need Pro Bowl calibre DB's to improve on last years showing, they just need to be competent.
Old 20.02.2014, 06:49 PM
Team Captain

Well the press conference today gave us some key things to think about most notably Chris conte being here and being considers to be a starter!

If you have 10 defensive needs,safety would sit around 7th imho