CheshireMulishas Mock Draft - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Pittsburgh Steelers

Old 08.05.2014, 08:54 AM
All Pro

Final mock here it is!

Unless somebody slides (Evans) I think we would love to trade down in the 1st as we can pick up an extra day 2 pick and still draft our guy 5 spots later.

1 - Kyle Fuller CB Virginia Tech
Fuller moves up a whole round from my initial mock. He impressed me at the combine and has the tape to back it up. Has good size and plays physical. Lacks elite corner speed but makes up for it with his instincts. Good in run support and should be able to contribute on sub-packages and special teams from day 1 with a ceiling of starting on the outside in a year or 2.
Number 17 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8o-aandA74

Other considerations: Dennard if he slides, Ebron who I expect to slide, Beckham Jr or Cooks.

2 - Kyle Van Noy OLB BYU
The Steelers were reportidly a big fan of Van Noy in his junior season but he didn't come out (probably would have gone in the 1st last year). Van Noy has great instincts & is fast off the edge although he'll probably need to get a bit stronger. He has also been used as dropping into coverage in college which is what the Steelers do with their OLBs. This guy could be a steal in the 2nd round

3 (Compensatory) - Donte Moncrief WR Ole Miss
The Steelers finally get their big receiver. Moore & DHB have been signed in the off season but they are just for short term cover. Moncrief still needs to improve his route running but has good size and body control (played basketball & state champ in long jump) He isn't the fastest receiver but can get create seperation. Depending on how much of an impact Moore & Wheaton make this year, Moncrief could see some time on 3rd down & in the red zone.

4 - DeAndre Coleman DE California
Losing Kiesel & Ziggy in the offseason, DE is another area that the Steelers desperately need to add depth. Coleman looks to project to a 3-4 end in the pros. He isn't a great pass rusher (although he had 2.5 sacks this year) but is very solid against the run and can also handle double teams to free up space for our pass rushing linebackers.

5 - Jerick McKinnon RB Georgia Southern
I expect the Steelers to add a change of pace back to compliment Bell & Blount. mcKinnon played qb in college although he'll be a RB in the pros (I'm thinking trick plays!) He was 2nd amongst running backs in the 40 at the combine. Add to that speed his strength - he benches double his weight, squats treble and led all rbs in the bench press at the combine. Will have to improve pass protection and doesn't always look natural in the running game but is a very intreaguing prospect.

5 (compensatory) - Ross Cockrell CB Duke
Cockrell looks like a typical Steeler corner. He has good size and is very smart but his tecnique needs refining. He should be able to contribute on special teams in his rookie year whilst he learns the defence.

6 - Rob Blanchflower TE Massachusetts
Had injury problems at college but if he can stay healthy has the potential to be a solid TE in the pros. He's a decent blocker in both the run & pass game. Needs to improve his production if hes going to become a number 2 TE but at the very worst he should be a good blocking number 3 TE.

6 (compensatory) - Ryan Carrethers NT Arkansas St
Big thick strong tackle. Blocked a field goal in his final college game (Godaddy bowl) He lacks ideal height and has short arms but looks like a candidate for the PS who could be coached into a solid NT.

7 - Kirby Van Der Kamp P Iowa

Hes a punter with a long name.....
Old 08.05.2014, 09:31 PM
Pro Bowler

First of all,nice job with this once again.

Totally agree with the CB/LB/WR combo in the 1st 3 rounds as i think the majority will.

FIRST ROUND
Can't look past CB.The big 3 all have question marks but if they didn't they wouldn't be there at 15.

I've enjoyed watching footage of Revis doing a pretty good Revis impersonation but he hasn't really faced the stiffest competion.

Gilbert is clearly a superb athlete but doesn't seem to be such a willing tackler.This is Steeler no-no.I think we had enough missed tackles lasy year to last a lifetime.

If i had a choice of all 3 i would still pick Kyle Fuller.He seems to be the most rounded.Although he times about the same as Dennard he looked much quicker to me for some reason.It's so hard not to use these overused phrases but Fuller does seem to have the highest floor.

2ND ROUND
I see this as a choice between OLB and WR.A big part of the decision has got to be,who do we have the highest expectations for this year? Markus Wheaton or Jarvis Jones? Its somewhat of a guessing game but i would plump for Wheaton.I hope i am wrong but i think Jones' limited athleticism means he will only go so far.

Van Noy looks a very impressive allrounder but he has question marks over his character.I would be suprised to see us take such a player in the 2nd without having had him in for a visit.

From the players we had had in DeMarcus Lawrence would be my choice at this spot.I also liked Jeremiah Attouchu.

However i am going to discard the argument i made for taking a LB here.Although i have high hopes for Wheaton i can't resist taking a WR in the 2nd.My choice would be Allen Robinson.Big athletic receiver who can bring a more physical element to our WR's.He also has exprience in a pro-style offence and should be good to go from day1.I would like to think he would give us some much needed help in the redzone.If he is half the player i think he will be our passing game will be a handful this season.

i also considered Davante Adams,Jordan Matthews and Cody Lattimer.

3RD ROUND
Now we get our OLB.I've gone for Carl Bradford.He may be shorter than ideal but just seems like he would make a great Steeler.Has Harrison-like power but looks a much better mover.Seems like he could also play on the inside if required.His intensity could help set the tone for the D.I am really excited that Pittsburgh has shown an interest

I would also consider the Smiths,Chris and Marcus as OLB at this pick.If we decided to go OLB in the 2nd I would choose Bruce Ellington.Despite not having the height that we seem to be looking to add brings the bonus skill of kick returning

Last edited by redcar_steeler; 08.05.2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08.05.2014, 11:23 PM
Pro Bowler

One thing i have noticed whilst deliberating is that its going to be an frustrating wait between our 2nd(46) and 3rd(97) round picks.

With this draft percieved as being so deep there are going to be a load of quality players available in this stretch of the draft.I would be open to the possibilty of moving back and picking up extra picks especially if any of the top 3 CB'S look like they'll still be available in the early 20's.

Anyway,back to work

ROUND4
This was a tough one for me.Really tempted to go OLB again as it is such an important position for us.At the moment we have a rising star who we may not be able to afford and 2nd year player with plenty of questions still to answer.On top of this we have little in the way of depth

DL is still a need for us although i admit i find it a difficult position to evaluate.Maybe one of Brett Urban,Ed Stinson or DeAndreColeman depending on who meshes best with the current lineup.However it seems like we don't put any trust in any rookie DL'S.

I'm not sure many will agree but i think i'd go OLB again here after all.We should be able to pick up someone here who would help us form a strong rotation at the position and give us flexibilty in the future.

and so the pick is Chris SMITH.

ROUND 5
a)Marqueston Huff CB/S
Great athlete,good size,experience at CB and S.Can also return kicks.Whats not to like?.

b)Jerrick McKinnon
Explosive,powerful multi-skilled player.The offensive version of Shamarko?Gives us something different in the running game.Randle-el used to give us a spark with trick plays when the O was struggling,hopefully he can provide some of the same.Could possibly help with kick returns.

ROUND 6
a)Bennet Jackson
Maybe not gonna be available but has the traits i would look for here.Decent size-speed with kick return possibilities.

b)Rob Blanchflower

The TE depth needs improving so we will go with the only guy to have had a visit.

ROUND 7

Beau Allen.NT

same thinking applied as previous pick.lazy i know
Old 09.05.2014, 09:27 AM
All Pro

Nice work redcar. Not sure we double dip at olb but I like Chris Smith, if hes still there in the 4th he could be a good pickup.

Anybody mock Shazier at all?! I like the pick a lot, but think the d-line play needs to improve if him & Timmons are going to be blitzing from the middle.
Hopefully there is a rush on qbs at the top of the 2nd so a few players slide and we can pick up the BPA at cb/wr/dl/olb
Old 09.05.2014, 11:27 AM
All Pro

Yes CB,WR or DL in next couple of rounds.
Agreed d line needs to improve for ILB's to do there damage,at least we're getting younger
Old 13.02.2015, 10:59 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcar_steeler View Post
First of all,nice job with this once again.

Totally agree with the CB/LB/WR combo in the 1st 3 rounds as i think the majority will.

FIRST ROUND
Can't look past CB.The big 3 all have question marks but if they didn't they wouldn't be there at 15.

I've enjoyed watching footage of Dennard doing a pretty good Revis impersonation but he hasn't really faced the stiffest competion.

Gilbert is clearly a superb athlete but doesn't seem to be such a willing tackler.This is Steeler no-no.I think we had enough missed tackles last year to last a lifetime.

If i had a choice of all 3 i would still pick Kyle Fuller.He seems to be the most rounded.Although he times about the same as Dennard he looked much quicker to me for some reason.It's so hard not to use these overused phrases but Fuller does seem to have the highest floor.

2ND ROUND
I see this as a choice between OLB and WR.A big part of the decision has got to be,who do we have the highest expectations for this year? Markus Wheaton or Jarvis Jones? Its somewhat of a guessing game but i would plump for Wheaton.I hope i am wrong but i think Jones' limited athleticism means he will only go so far.

Van Noy looks a very impressive allrounder but he has question marks over his character.I would be suprised to see us take such a player in the 2nd without having had him in for a visit.

From the players we had had in DeMarcus Lawrence would be my choice at this spot.I also liked Jeremiah Attouchu.

However i am going to discard the argument i made for taking a LB here.Although i have high hopes for Wheaton i can't resist taking a WR in the 2nd.My choice would be Allen Robinson.Big athletic receiver who can bring a more physical element to our WR's.He also has exprience in a pro-style offence and should be good to go from day1.I would like to think he would give us some much needed help in the redzone.If he is half the player i think he will be our passing game will be a handful this season.

i also considered Davante Adams,Jordan Matthews and Cody Lattimer.

3RD ROUND
Now we get our OLB.I've gone for Carl Bradford.He may be shorter than ideal but just seems like he would make a great Steeler.Has Harrison-like power but looks a much better mover.Seems like he could also play on the inside if required.His intensity could help set the tone for the D.I am really excited that Pittsburgh has shown an interest

I would also consider the Smiths,Chris and Marcus as OLB at this pick.If we decided to go OLB in the 2nd I would choose Bruce Ellington.Despite not having the height that we seem to be looking to add brings the bonus skill of kick returning
I thought this would be another interesting thread to look back on -

RD1 - Fuller. I was dialled in on getting a CB in the first.Fuller had a promising first season with some ups and downs which is to be expected with a rookie CB.Looks like a keeper.As it happened he was taken one spot before our turn.Knowing this I think I would have went Dennard or one of the safeties,probably Dix

RD2
- A.Robinson.Decent 1st season,didn't show the big playmaking abilty of Bryant but was somewhat handicapped by rookie QB.Would have been a solid pick.

Alternative pics - Matthews and Adams-Both benefitted from a better supporting cast and looked the part.
Lattimer-Didn't make an impact but had a lot of traffic to fight through.Too early to judge.
DeMarcus Lawrence and Jeremy Attouchu - Couldn't really find much on these two.Lawrence made a play or 2 in playoffs but don't think he done much till then.Would still probably take either over Jarvis at this point which is pretty damning really.

RD3.Carl Bradford.-Thought he was a player we could pick up and worry about where he was going to play later.Not sure if he even saw the field even though the Packers were thin at LB.Maybe stuggled with Dom Capers system so could still have a chance

Also considered
Chris Smith.Showed flashes towards to back end of the season.Something to work on going forward.
Marcus Smith.Recently slated by the coaching staff but like Lattimer,was always going to be difficult to win much playing time.Once again too early too write off but early signs not great
Bruce Ellington.Only caught 6 balls but done a decent job returning kicks and punts which would have been a big plus in itself.

Last edited by redcar_steeler; 14.02.2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 14.02.2015, 01:52 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcar_steeler View Post
One thing i have noticed whilst deliberating is that its going to be an frustrating wait between our 2nd(46) and 3rd(97) round picks.

With this draft percieved as being so deep there are going to be a load of quality players available in this stretch of the draft.I would be open to the possibilty of moving back and picking up extra picks especially if any of the top 3 CB'S look like they'll still be available in the early 20's.

Anyway,back to work

ROUND4
This was a tough one for me.Really tempted to go OLB again as it is such an important position for us.At the moment we have a rising star who we may not be able to afford and 2nd year player with plenty of questions still to answer.On top of this we have little in the way of depth

DL is still a need for us although i admit i find it a difficult position to evaluate.Maybe one of Brett Urban,Ed Stinson or DeAndreColeman depending on who meshes best with the current lineup.However it seems like we don't put any trust in any rookie DL'S.

I'm not sure many will agree but i think i'd go OLB again here after all.We should be able to pick up someone here who would help us form a strong rotation at the position and give us flexibilty in the future.

and so the pick is Chris SMITH.

ROUND 5
a)Marqueston Huff CB/S
Great athlete,good size,experience at CB and S.Can also return kicks.Whats not to like?.

b)Jerrick McKinnon
Explosive,powerful multi-skilled player.The offensive version of Shamarko?Gives us something different in the running game.Randle-el used to give us a spark with trick plays when the O was struggling,hopefully he can provide some of the same.Could possibly help with kick returns.

ROUND 6
a)Bennet Jackson
Maybe not gonna be available but has the traits i would look for here.Decent size-speed with kick return possibilities.

b)Rob Blanchflower

The TE depth needs improving so we will go with the only guy to have had a visit.

ROUND 7

Beau Allen.NT

same thinking applied as previous pick.lazy i know
RD4 Chris Smith.

Would have been nice to go into 2015 with a 1 or 2 OLB'S who had a year of learning behind them.

Alt picks- Stinson/Urban/Coleman.Non starters one Tuitt was selected.

RD5a Marquston Huff .
b Jerrick McKinnon
Huff stuck as depth on a poor Titans team.

McKinnon was taken one spot before we drafted Archer so we never really had a chance.Impressive 1st season,looks like he would have been a good backup for Bell.

RD.6a Bennett Jackson.Injuries ruled him out for the season and had to undergo microfracture surgery which means he's already up against it.

RD.6b Rob Blanchflower.On practice squad all year so judgement has to be reserved.

RD7. Beau Allen.Managed to warrant a roster spot and a few snaps which earns a tick for a 7th rounder.

All in all some hits,some misses but mostly maybes.I dont think I'll give up the day job any time soon!

Last edited by redcar_steeler; 14.02.2015 at 01:58 PM.