Worrying times for the Cowboys - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 17.09.2014, 07:54 AM
Team Captain

"Sunday was just the eighth time in Jason Garrett's head-coaching career (58 games) that Dallas has run more than passed. The Cowboys are 7-1 in those games."

Do you think the Cowboys coaching staff have cottoned on yet?
Old 17.09.2014, 05:35 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaher View Post
"Sunday was just the eighth time in Jason Garrett's head-coaching career (58 games) that Dallas has run more than passed. The Cowboys are 7-1 in those games."

Do you think the Cowboys coaching staff have cottoned on yet?
That's an interesting stat.

You can't believe that on a team stuck in an 8-8 rut, that at some stage no one thought 'perhaps we should run more'. Easier said than done I know, but those stats are pretty damning.

I suppose over the years Romo has been the driving force behind the teams success, and Murray hasn't stayed healthy either. I just hope the change in philosophy is here to stay.
Old 20.09.2014, 05:03 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Easier said than done I know, but those stats are pretty damning.

I suppose over the years Romo has been the driving force behind the teams success, and Murray hasn't stayed healthy either. I just hope the change in philosophy is here to stay.
When Murray runs for 20 times or more, we are 12-1...I was screaming this stat to anyone that would listen last year. In a game dependent on stats, it was beyond me as to why the Cowboys coaching staff ignored this one.

As for Romo being the driving force for the teams 'success'...what success would you be referring to here?

Old 20.09.2014, 10:36 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekinCowboy View Post
When Murray runs for 20 times or more, we are 12-1...I was screaming this stat to anyone that would listen last year. In a game dependent on stats, it was beyond me as to why the Cowboys coaching staff ignored this one.

As for Romo being the driving force for the teams 'success'...what success would you be referring to here?

The only thing I can come up with is they just plain over think things. For the Cowboys to run Murray less than 20 times a game is bewildering. You would expect if you had 60 offensive snaps a game Murray would get it 33% of the time at least.

Maybe the answer to their woes has been staring them in the face this whole time and they've only just noticed it.

I watched ' A Football Life - The Great Wall of Dallas' earlier, and couldn't help but think Jerry/Garrett must have watched it too and finally realised where they've been going wrong.
Old 21.09.2014, 08:23 PM
Hall of Fame

Well, 2 - 1, with the Saints coming to town next, and 5 of our next 6 games at home.

I thought the lack of pass rush depth really started to show at the end of that game though. We just couldn't stop the Rams, and although they played well, aren't exactly a high powered offence.

Hopefully that game ending interception can start to turn things round for Mo. I don't think the secondary covered themselves in glory, but as a defence we did get those all important turnovers that Marinelli talks about.
Old 22.09.2014, 07:49 AM
Starter

Quote:
Well, 2 - 1, with the Saints coming to town next, and 5 of our next 6 games at home.

I thought the lack of pass rush depth really started to show at the end of that game though. We just couldn't stop the Rams, and although they played well, aren't exactly a high powered offence.

Hopefully that game ending interception can start to turn things round for Mo. I don't think the secondary covered themselves in glory, but as a defence we did get those all important turnovers that Marinelli talks about.
A few quick thoughts on the game, now I have had time to reflect.

1- It is something difficult to be impartial about Romo. I think at this stage of his career he is what he is... His interception was not surprising, the Rams-D showed Blitz pre snap, they came and he just tried to get the ball out quickly, and threw it up... that was the worst of Romo. But he showed guts, running for 15 yards on 3rd and 13 and completing plenty of other 3rd down conversions. It may have been the first time ever as well that he audibled at the line ('kill, kill, kill') in to a run play, not something we see that often. He is going to win us a few games along the way and will lose us a few... but he has that experience which is vital. Because of the cap he is going to be our QB for the next few years, so might as well get on board and enjoy the ride on the romo-coaster.

2- DeMarco Murray solid running again behind the line. He needs to stop fumbling though... I also sometimes think he just needs to know when to take a loss or short gain. Decent in pass protection when needed. I have said it in another thread that I don't think Cowboys will play him big money next year... just can't see it.

3- Bruce Carter is terrible in pass protection... I keep on hearing how athletic he is, but he struggles to stay with his man. That is the 3rd consecutive week the TE or TE group has put up numbers on his group... Jimmy Graham is going to have a field day next week. Hitchens showed some flashes but also some rookie mistakes... Wilber is the sort of guy you can keep on your roster for the next 4-5 years at $1m a year and he will do a job. Missed Rolando and Durrant

4- Play Brandon Carr in man-to-man coverage and this is what you'll get.. might have been one of his best games as a Cowboy. Nothing flashy but just quietly went about his role. On the flip side of that, Claibourne might be the biggest bust Cowboys have ever had... Don't let the interception disguise the fact he was terrible, he was picked on by the Rams QB from the outset... I would rather have Scandrick start and Moore play in nickel going forward..

5- There was some pass rush but the depth of the group is beginning to show. The 1st interception was down to good pressure. Looking forward to having Melton and Terrell McLain all fully fit. The group isn't terrible but on the flip side, they aren't world beaters.. When Spencer is fully fit as well, I'd be happy enough with Mincey, Melton, McClain, Spencer as the starters, with Selvie, Crawford, Lawrence, Hayden all rotating in...

My final thought is what does Scott Linehan use that calculator for?
Old 22.09.2014, 09:17 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by E7_Cowboy View Post
A few quick thoughts on the game, now I have had time to reflect.

1- It is something difficult to be impartial about Romo. I think at this stage of his career he is what he is... His interception was not surprising, the Rams-D showed Blitz pre snap, they came and he just tried to get the ball out quickly, and threw it up... that was the worst of Romo. But he showed guts, running for 15 yards on 3rd and 13 and completing plenty of other 3rd down conversions. It may have been the first time ever as well that he audibled at the line ('kill, kill, kill') in to a run play, not something we see that often. He is going to win us a few games along the way and will lose us a few... but he has that experience which is vital. Because of the cap he is going to be our QB for the next few years, so might as well get on board and enjoy the ride on the romo-coaster.

2- DeMarco Murray solid running again behind the line. He needs to stop fumbling though... I also sometimes think he just needs to know when to take a loss or short gain. Decent in pass protection when needed. I have said it in another thread that I don't think Cowboys will play him big money next year... just can't see it.

3- Bruce Carter is terrible in pass protection... I keep on hearing how athletic he is, but he struggles to stay with his man. That is the 3rd consecutive week the TE or TE group has put up numbers on his group... Jimmy Graham is going to have a field day next week. Hitchens showed some flashes but also some rookie mistakes... Wilber is the sort of guy you can keep on your roster for the next 4-5 years at $1m a year and he will do a job. Missed Rolando and Durrant

4- Play Brandon Carr in man-to-man coverage and this is what you'll get.. might have been one of his best games as a Cowboy. Nothing flashy but just quietly went about his role. On the flip side of that, Claibourne might be the biggest bust Cowboys have ever had... Don't let the interception disguise the fact he was terrible, he was picked on by the Rams QB from the outset... I would rather have Scandrick start and Moore play in nickel going forward..

5- There was some pass rush but the depth of the group is beginning to show. The 1st interception was down to good pressure. Looking forward to having Melton and Terrell McLain all fully fit. The group isn't terrible but on the flip side, they aren't world beaters.. When Spencer is fully fit as well, I'd be happy enough with Mincey, Melton, McClain, Spencer as the starters, with Selvie, Crawford, Lawrence, Hayden all rotating in...

My final thought is what does Scott Linehan use that calculator for?
Reflecting on your reflections

1. I'm starting to think Romo's back issues might be a double edged sword. Obviously he isn't totally comfortable, which isn't ideal, but at the same time his cautiousness might mean he'll lean towards the run with his pre snap adjustments. Hats off to him for the gutsy 3rd down conversion, he risked taking a big hit to make that play. Regarding Romo's salary, and I might be wrong, but he isn't 'uncuttable'. Basically, if they restructure his deal before the season is out then it would effectively make him 'uncuttable', but if they made him a post June 1st cut they would actually save money. Of course that means turning to a rookie QB/Weeden, which would be a step back in the short term.

2. Totally agree on the fumbling and short losses. He really isn't the type of back to make losses into gains, especially when he tries to stretch a play out. Take the 0/1 yard run and move on. His continued fumbling isn't going to help him in his contract negotiations either.

3 & 4. We certainly struggle against TE's. The CB's (all of them) are still giving huge cushions to WR's. Even though the stats said Carr gave up no completions, I'm sure he gave up one when he was about 10 yards off his man. Mo seemed to have something to complain about every time he got beat. When we don't know the coverage it's hard to pass comment in all fairness, but it didn't look good. Hitchens played ok, but a worry I had when he came out of college was he was a 'hitter' rather than a 'tackler'. That showed up early when he should have snuffed out that 3rd down conversion. We missed McClain's physical presence against the run that's for sure.

5. We couldn't get much pressure could we. The Rams moved the ball consistently early on, and it took it's toll in the 4th quarter. We have bodies, we just don't have bodies that can get to the QB. Melton hasn't overly impressed me, although he is coming back from a long lay off. Against the Saints I can't see us get much interior push against Ben Grubbs and Jahri Evans. Brees will move the ball on us, so I think it'll be more of the same next week.
Old 22.09.2014, 10:42 AM
Starter

Quote:
Reflecting on your reflections

1. I'm starting to think Romo's back issues might be a double edged sword. Obviously he isn't totally comfortable, which isn't ideal, but at the same time his cautiousness might mean he'll lean towards the run with his pre snap adjustments. Hats off to him for the gutsy 3rd down conversion, he risked taking a big hit to make that play. Regarding Romo's salary, and I might be wrong, but he isn't 'uncuttable'. Basically, if they restructure his deal before the season is out then it would effectively make him 'uncuttable', but if they made him a post June 1st cut they would actually save money. Of course that means turning to a rookie QB/Weeden, which would be a step back in the short term.

2. Totally agree on the fumbling and short losses. He really isn't the type of back to make losses into gains, especially when he tries to stretch a play out. Take the 0/1 yard run and move on. His continued fumbling isn't going to help him in his contract negotiations either.

3 & 4. We certainly struggle against TE's. The CB's (all of them) are still giving huge cushions to WR's. Even though the stats said Carr gave up no completions, I'm sure he gave up one when he was about 10 yards off his man. Mo seemed to have something to complain about every time he got beat. When we don't know the coverage it's hard to pass comment in all fairness, but it didn't look good. Hitchens played ok, but a worry I had when he came out of college was he was a 'hitter' rather than a 'tackler'. That showed up early when he should have snuffed out that 3rd down conversion. We missed McClain's physical presence against the run that's for sure.

5. We couldn't get much pressure could we. The Rams moved the ball consistently early on, and it took it's toll in the 4th quarter. We have bodies, we just don't have bodies that can get to the QB. Melton hasn't overly impressed me, although he is coming back from a long lay off. Against the Saints I can't see us get much interior push against Ben Grubbs and Jahri Evans. Brees will move the ball on us, so I think it'll be more of the same next week.
You missed one... What does Scott Linehan use the calculator for?
Old 22.09.2014, 03:17 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by E7_Cowboy View Post
You missed one... What does Scott Linehan use the calculator for?
Calculating the probability of Murray's next fumble? or recalculating his contract offer for Murray after every fumble or negative play? or just keeping track of how many run plays he's used, he starts with 20, when he reaches zero it's pass, pass, pass........
Old 23.09.2014, 10:57 AM
Hall of Fame

Anyone heard any injury updates on Davon Coleman?

The Saints lost their starting Center (J.Goodwin) at the weekend. They've still got Grubbs and Evans at OG, but if we can create a little rush on the inside it would go a long way to helping us combat Brees in the passing game.

Coleman seems to have been disruptive at times, and Melton still doesn't look to be up to speed.

*another little snippet ahead of the Saints coming to town....

ESPN: 'The Saints are 26-0 all time under Payton when not committing a turnover.'

Here's hoping we can come up with something.

Last edited by RichardCunliffe; 23.09.2014 at 11:00 AM.