Break the bank for Dez? - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 17.11.2014, 07:03 PM
All Pro

Sorry these numbers are just mind blowing, i,m a bit naive when it comes to player/loyalty money, surely to god someone can get by on a million a year? theres way too much money involved in US Footy thats the only thing i dont like about the sport, am i jealous? yes but not that much.Loyalty to a team doesnt seem to exist in any sport these days SHOW ME THE MONEY and i,ll stay. Having got that off my chest I hope Dez stays
Old 17.11.2014, 07:22 PM
Hall of Fame

It works both ways though doesn't it.

I don't see many teams think 'well he isn't as good as he used to be, and he's always getting injured, but hey, he's a nice guy with a family, we won't cut him'. The whole 'it's a short career' comes into it too, got to make the money while you can.

Like many sports, if the money doesn't go to the players, then it'll only go in the owners pocket. Sadly no business is going to reduce their profits to make it cheaper for the fans.
Old 20.11.2014, 07:08 PM
All Pro

I take your point Rich and i know it can be a short career and its a business, wish i could work for say 7 years and get a mill for each one i,m sure i could last till i croak!
Old 17.01.2015, 06:05 PM
Hall of Fame

Thought I'd give this thread a 'bump'.

In light of Dez's December performance - 368 yards, 6 TD's, in 4 games, and then his slightly less impressive 76 yards in 2 play off games, where do people stand? Still the same?

I'm in that $12m/yr train of thought. We need to keep him, he's shown he can do things that very few WR's can do. Who has been better than him? Antonio Brown? Jordy Nelson? Beckham Jr? Julio Jones? There aren't too many. He's grown as a player and a person imo this season too, so that can only be good for the Cowboys.

The franchise tag number is $10,537,000 apparently. With this teams title ambitions dependent on a healthy Romo, I do wonder if Jerry will take a cautious approach and tag Dez. The cap number wouldn't be great, but it's manageable. In another years time some more big contracts will come off the books (Carr etc), and if Jerry then has to pay even more to keep a 27 year old Dez, so be it, he should have the cap room. I just feel like everything is year to year with Romo, and therefore this team.

In a years time though the WR market will go up another notch with the likes of Julio Jones needing a new contract, and Demaryius Thomas too unless he signs this off season. Playing the waiting game could get pretty costly. If we really want to keep him, I say it's best we bite the bullet early and set the market rather than finding ourselves in a corner because of other WR contracts.
Old 19.01.2015, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Dez is staying in Dallas. I can see Murray being allowed to walk.
Old 04.06.2015, 09:36 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Thought I'd give this thread a 'bump'.

In light of Dez's December performance - 368 yards, 6 TD's, in 4 games, and then his slightly less impressive 76 yards in 2 play off games, where do people stand? Still the same?

I'm in that $12m/yr train of thought. We need to keep him, he's shown he can do things that very few WR's can do. Who has been better than him? Antonio Brown? Jordy Nelson? Beckham Jr? Julio Jones? There aren't too many. He's grown as a player and a person imo this season too, so that can only be good for the Cowboys.

The franchise tag number is $10,537,000 apparently. With this teams title ambitions dependent on a healthy Romo, I do wonder if Jerry will take a cautious approach and tag Dez. The cap number wouldn't be great, but it's manageable. In another years time some more big contracts will come off the books (Carr etc), and if Jerry then has to pay even more to keep a 27 year old Dez, so be it, he should have the cap room. I just feel like everything is year to year with Romo, and therefore this team.

In a years time though the WR market will go up another notch with the likes of Julio Jones needing a new contract, and Demaryius Thomas too unless he signs this off season. Playing the waiting game could get pretty costly. If we really want to keep him, I say it's best we bite the bullet early and set the market rather than finding ourselves in a corner because of other WR contracts.
$12m/yr clearly won't get it done, but I'm really starting to think we should set the market and give Dez a deal asap.

Look at QB contracts, they just go up and up. WR will be no different. Even if we 'over pay' Dez now, in a year or 2's time the contract will look 'normal' at worst. A 6 year deal, maybe $88m (he'll like the gimmick of '88). Give him good guaranteed money.
Old 13.06.2015, 06:39 AM
Team Captain

Reported that Dez could sit out opener if long term deal not sorted.
Old 13.06.2015, 09:20 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMurphy81 View Post
Reported that Dez could sit out opener if long term deal not sorted.
No great surprise really, using the media as a negotiating tool. It puts public pressure on the Cowboys to get something done, or at least get the talks back on track.

Would he sit out a game or 2? It wouldn't surprise me if he went through with that if it came to it. Then again, he seems to be a 'team player' who just wants to win, so would he 'abandon' his team mates when the season starts?

It's just Dez/his agent, ratcheting things up a notch. I wouldn't worry about it at the moment...............
Old 14.07.2015, 07:33 PM
All Pro

worrying now? one day left they say no player is bigger than the club...someone tell Dez! lets face it we cant win superbowl without him and he prob knows it, however i have no time for so called loyal players and then say BUT show me the money first. It looks like he could sit the first few games then what?
Old 14.07.2015, 11:00 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1963 View Post
worrying now? one day left they say no player is bigger than the club...someone tell Dez! lets face it we cant win superbowl without him and he prob knows it, however i have no time for so called loyal players and then say BUT show me the money first. It looks like he could sit the first few games then what?
We'll see. It's just the nature of the sport/position. They all have ego's. If Dez could choose a team I expect it would be Dallas, but he isn't going to give a hometown discount to do so. At the end of the day he exceeded his salary ten fold in terms of his production over the last 3 years, and we Jerry wasn't in in a rush to to change his contract then.

So it works both ways, in effect you are now paying for past, as well as future, production. It shouldn't work like that, but in the mind of Dez and his agents that's what he'll point to. The Cowboys on the other hand are happy to have got 3 years on the cheap, but don't want to overpay for the future.

I doubt Dez misses 10 games as some have speculated. Maybe he misses 1, or even 2, but it will become such a distraction, and hit Dez in the pocket, that he'll sign the tender in the end.