2017 Offseason Thread - News, Free Agency, all that jazz - Page 150 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 19.08.2017, 06:04 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
The Jaguars have brought in ex Bills kicker Dan Carpenter for a tryout. It's unclear whether this is to compete for the kicking job or to replace Blake Bortles as quarterback
what should the Jags do with Bortle's,they picked up his 2018 5th year option that is $19m but only guaranteed for injury.if he's not the future would they be better as some suggest either cutting him now or just go with Henne and have Blake hold a clipboard all season.
Old 19.08.2017, 06:35 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
what should the Jags do with Bortle's,they picked up his 2018 5th year option that is $19m but only guaranteed for injury.if he's not the future would they be better as some suggest either cutting him now or just go with Henne and have Blake hold a clipboard all season.
Cut him.

He is rubbish and everyone apart from the Jags has known that for years, he shouldn't have been a round 1 pick, never mind the ridiculous reach the Jags made.

He is up there competing with EJ Manuel as the biggest QB reach of modern times.

Henne literally can't be worse. The locker room has turned against him just look at Ramsay and Robinson, and the Jags need to keep them on side or their whole project will fall apart.

But knowing the Jags they'll probably announce this week a $125m 5 year extension.
Old 19.08.2017, 06:44 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Cut him.

He is rubbish and everyone apart from the Jags has known that for years, he shouldn't have been a round 1 pick, never mind the ridiculous reach the Jags made.

He is up there competing with EJ Manuel as the biggest QB reach of modern times.

Henne literally can't be worse. The locker room has turned against him just look at Ramsay and Robinson, and the Jags need to keep them on side or their whole project will fall apart.

But knowing the Jags they'll probably announce this week a $125m 5 year extension.
i would probably stick with him and pray, at least he has the upside which Henne lacks, then try for something in the offseason.

otherwise is a move for a FA like your fella Colin

or trading god knows what for a Jimmy G, with is a risk laden move.
Old 20.08.2017, 11:45 AM
All Pro

Looks like Trevor Siemian has won the QB battle in Denver. Not really a hard choice as Paxton Lynch has just stunk in pre season so far. Had the chance with the number 1's in practice and the first half last night and didn't show anything. Overthrowing receivers, throwing into double coverage. Looking very much like a bust 1st round pick. Can't see where he will go from here as even the number 3 QB has looked more impressive in game time film. Chad Kelly is yet to throw a ball in Denver so I'm guessing for now Lynch will be the back up but if Kelly starts showing some potential I can see him losing his roster spot next year. Happy for Siemian though, drafted very late and has turned out to be a solid QB and if we give him a line that isn't getting him killed on every play we might be alright.
Old 20.08.2017, 12:02 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
i would probably stick with him and pray, at least he has the upside which Henne lacks, then try for something in the offseason.

otherwise is a move for a FA like your fella Colin

or trading god knows what for a Jimmy G, with is a risk laden move.
The problem with keeping him, is you already has your leading DB in open dissent on the internet, and your superstar WR entering free agency ranting. Never mind his hopeless play, he is toxic in the locker room. Marrone and Caldwell are fighting to keep their jobs, and do they really want to stake themselves on Bortles?
Old 20.08.2017, 12:06 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Set View Post
Looks like Trevor Siemian has won the QB battle in Denver. Not really a hard choice as Paxton Lynch has just stunk in pre season so far. Had the chance with the number 1's in practice and the first half last night and didn't show anything. Overthrowing receivers, throwing into double coverage. Looking very much like a bust 1st round pick. Can't see where he will go from here as even the number 3 QB has looked more impressive in game time film. Chad Kelly is yet to throw a ball in Denver so I'm guessing for now Lynch will be the back up but if Kelly starts showing some potential I can see him losing his roster spot next year. Happy for Siemian though, drafted very late and has turned out to be a solid QB and if we give him a line that isn't getting him killed on every play we might be alright.
I like Siemian. He is a solid game manager you can build a team around. Sort that O line, have a decent run game and you'll have success.

One of the major issues I have with Lynch, is he appears to the absolute opposite style. I struggle to see how you can design an offense that balances the strengths of Siemian and Lynch, surely it will naturally favour one or the others.

And you have to wonder about Elway's eye for QBs, he spent a 1st on Lynch, was willing to spend $14m a year on Osweiller. If he hadnt lucked into Manning I suspect big questions would be asked of Elway.
Old 20.08.2017, 01:19 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Set View Post
good news indeed, i like the fella and he seemed to do enough last season to get the nod but i suppose if you spend a 1st on a player you need to give them a shot at the job.

Quote:
The problem with keeping him, is you already has your leading DB in open dissent on the internet, and your superstar WR entering free agency ranting. Never mind his hopeless play, he is toxic in the locker room. Marrone and Caldwell are fighting to keep their jobs, and do they really want to stake themselves on Bortles?

i would say its short sighted from those players, do they really think they will find a better QB?

also surely it would be the ultimate showing of player power that with a couple of moans, they cut a likely starter, unless i have missed some off the field behaviour.

Robinson can moan but first he would have to make it to FA and if he doesn't sign the tag then likely sit out a season, cos if its going to happen with a side its the Jags. when he does he might get the money but much better QB play/a good team might be a bigger ask.

but they would want to be the guys that cut a 1st rounder and staked themselves on Henne?

its a real mess and they should of had better QB options going into camp.
Old 20.08.2017, 03:48 PM
All Pro

Quote:
i would say its short sighted from those players, do they really think they will find a better QB?
Henne is a better QB. So yes.
Old 20.08.2017, 05:13 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Henne is a better QB. So yes.

i would say thats up for debate on a few counts.

stats are far from everything but Bortles wins there.

and Bortles has the upside too plus still time to grow.

Henne is a clipboard holder not someone you want as a starter unless you plan to rarely throw the ball or want to aim for another early pick (unless he has been hiding starter level talent all these years.)
Old 20.08.2017, 06:25 PM
All Pro

Quote:
i would say thats up for debate on a few counts.

stats are far from everything but Bortles wins there.

and Bortles has the upside too plus still time to grow.

Henne is a clipboard holder not someone you want as a starter unless you plan to rarely throw the ball or want to aim for another early pick (unless he has been hiding starter level talent all these years.)
Bortles is mentally done. His interviews now sound like he is completely broken.

Henne can game manage and let the run game do the work, it'll get them to 8/9 wins. Bortles can't even do that as he lobs up easy interceptions.

And it's all well and good getting good stats. But when they come in garbage time against soft defenses because you are 30 points down it doesn't really tell the true story