Four NFL London Games to be played in 2019 - Page 7 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 03.11.2018, 02:35 PM
TartanJag's Avatar
TartanJag TartanJag is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 10.08.2014
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
100% correct. He doesn't mean viable at all, he means make more money. Which suggests that if the numbers made sense he would move the team somewhere more lucrative.
absolutely. the bit that is true, not that he says it explicitly, is that JAX + london leaves him content enough to not shop around for another market.

A london franchise stealing his thunder could threaten that in my opinion, if it were a possibility i think he may take jump first. the wembley play was to strengthen his hand, i think, so as to avoid another show in town rather than facilitating a move of his own

if i was a betting man, i would say in ten years we might well see london jags and Mexico city chargers. with chargers forcing shads hand and ultimately settling for their second choice.
To be clear tho, even as a jags fan from day 1, i absolutely hope that does not happen
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 03.11.2018, 08:56 PM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Posts: 8,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TartanJag View Post
absolutely. the bit that is true, not that he says it explicitly, is that JAX + london leaves him content enough to not shop around for another market.

A london franchise stealing his thunder could threaten that in my opinion, if it were a possibility i think he may take jump first. the wembley play was to strengthen his hand, i think, so as to avoid another show in town rather than facilitating a move of his own

if i was a betting man, i would say in ten years we might well see london jags and Mexico city chargers. with chargers forcing shads hand and ultimately settling for their second choice.
To be clear tho, even as a jags fan from day 1, i absolutely hope that does not happen
I guess Mexico has a big advantage, namely time zone. They have their own problems, of course. But it was interesting that Goodell said he thought London was ready for a franchise in many ways but there were logistical issues they didn't know how to get around, especially in the playoffs. Mexico doesn't have those. The main Mexico problem is that stadium. It's not NFL standard. You can't imagine the public putting up money for a new NFL stadium. There's no Wembley or Spurs equivalent.

Have to say I really wish the Chargers were still in San Diego though. It's a great city and deserves its own team. Hopefully one day Spanos sells up and someone buys the team who can put money into a new San Diego stadium. You need private funding these days - see LA and San Francisco/Santa Clara.

Last edited by European Bob; 03.11.2018 at 09:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 05.11.2018, 06:10 AM
BuffaloG's Avatar
BuffaloG BuffaloG is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 12.10.2014
Posts: 4,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TartanJag View Post
Pretty much my exact assessment of things as well. the Jags are UKs 'softspot' team.
I don't think that's the case any more.

It was ceertainly the case when they first came over, it was a mix of sympathy for a bad team, and being grateful for their commitment to coming over.

Now the London games are properly embedded, and we are seeing teams come over multiple times that latter factor is disappearing.

More notably it's interesting how many more neutrals in the last couple of years have been cheering AGAINST the Jaguars at Wembley. I'd suggest a number of factors are behind it, primarily they have overdone the marketing, the whole London Jaguars thing pushed by the NFL and media is now becoming a joke that is mocked, just like the London's Jay Ajayi thing. People are rebelling against the Jaguars who becoming the NFLUK corporate team. Furthermore, no one believes "the Jaguars love the UK" narrative anymore, they realise the Jaguars were smart and saw a commercial opportunity in London, that's all

The Jaguars would be wise to have a year off London to cool the media hype train
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 06.11.2018, 03:14 PM
TartanJag's Avatar
TartanJag TartanJag is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 10.08.2014
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
I don't think that's the case any more.



The Jaguars would be wise to have a year off London to cool the media hype train
yeah, thats not how marketing works. you dont build a presence just to stop it suddenly and lose all momentum and investment just to appease the odd person who thinks its overkill.

remember, each time they do an event or campaign, the idea is it reaches new people each time. obviously there may be a few 'rebels' will maybe see it as overkill but that collateral damage any marketer is willing to take to reach widest audience eventually
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 06.11.2018, 04:04 PM
stocksy's Avatar
stocksy stocksy is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 25.10.2008
Posts: 6,195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TartanJag View Post
yeah, thats not how marketing works. you dont build a presence just to stop it suddenly and lose all momentum and investment just to appease the odd person who thinks its overkill.

remember, each time they do an event or campaign, the idea is it reaches new people each time. obviously there may be a few 'rebels' will maybe see it as overkill but that collateral damage any marketer is willing to take to reach widest audience eventually
I actually believe JaguarsUK have taken their foot off the pedal and that has caused a down turn.

Firstly they cut out the original fans that had set up the union Jax stuff... and now they don’t do much at all.

They feel like every other team that comes over. The Jags game and weekend used to feel like there was more going on a big push but that’s all changed.

I still think their fan base is huge compared to what it was and neutrals do want to cheer for them but they are now seen as a threat which before they weren’t.

No way will they take a year off. That would be madness.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 06.11.2018, 04:45 PM
Pedal Bin's Avatar
Pedal Bin Pedal Bin is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 30.10.2005
Posts: 7,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
The Jaguars would be wise to have a year off London to cool the media hype train
Well that won't happen at the earliest until 2021 as they have agreed to play at Wembley until 2020.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
Just like the London's Jay Ajayi thing.
Hang on a moment there young fella me laddo! Are you saying Jay Ajayi is from London?! Well I would have thought the UK NFL would have more of a song and dance about that. Perhaps Neil Reynolds could say "London born" Jay Ajayi every single time he appears on screen. They have certainly missed a trick there. Anyone got Alistair Kirkwood's email address I could let him know.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 15.11.2018, 10:51 AM
ThomasWilloughby ThomasWilloughby is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: 09.12.2016
Posts: 4
Default

did my best to predict the 4 games if you fancy a look? https://theinsidezone.com/the-post-l...res-prediction
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 17.11.2018, 10:15 AM
TexanTom TexanTom is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: 21.07.2016
Posts: 9
Default

I thought we pretty much knew 5 of the teams. Jets confirmed basically via a journalist within the organisation on twitter. Jaguars, and Raiders, Rams & Chargers who I thought had to give up an international series home game per year. So 4 London games + Mexico game would be 10 teams so we know half of the International series teams.

Panthers, Texans & Packers not been over so think the league will try and get them involved.

Then you have teams with the super bowl rule.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 17.11.2018, 08:02 PM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Posts: 8,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanTom View Post
I thought we pretty much knew 5 of the teams. Jets confirmed basically via a journalist within the organisation on twitter. Jaguars, and Raiders, Rams & Chargers who I thought had to give up an international series home game per year. So 4 London games + Mexico game would be 10 teams so we know half of the International series teams.

Panthers, Texans & Packers not been over so think the league will try and get them involved.

Then you have teams with the super bowl rule.
Kirkwood said in the past that one team fought hard against coming and I think it is the Packers. As for Mexico... well we need to see whether it is even on next year. This year could prove to be a setback beyond just the state of the field. If it’s back on I’ll bet the Raiders push hard to get the Mexico game over London given Gruden’s position on transatlantic travel. It’s not as though London has been a happy hunting ground for them either.

Panthers I could actually see giving up a home game. I half wonder whether it might have been made a condition in the new owner buying the team. Remember all other owners must approve the purchase so they have real leverage over a new buyer. And if they didn’t do that then they missed a trick!
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 08.01.2019, 03:55 PM
DeeFunct's Avatar
DeeFunct DeeFunct is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: 18.09.2011
Posts: 27
Default

So I see Mohamed Sanu is doing the rounds on NFL Live with Fitzpatrick, could this be an indicator that the Falcons will be the visiting team against the Bucs?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 09:09 PM.