PHINS FANS OPINIONS! - Page 103 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Miami Dolphins

Old 02.04.2005, 06:29 PM
MVP

Default Re:PHINS FANS OPINIONS!

[quote author=Prince of Eternia link=board=1;threadid=1262;start=810#msg196641 date=1112456441]
Any news on Surtain. guys?
[/quote]

Dolphins cornerback Patrick Surtain and the Kansas City Chiefs have agreed in principle to a multiyear contract extension that includes an eight-digit signing bonus provided a trade between the teams can be worked out.

The sticking point is the compensation. The Phins want a first day pick but the most that KC has offered is a 4th rounder.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...dolphins-front
Old 02.04.2005, 06:40 PM
MVP

[quote author=Lordy link=board=1;threadid=1262;start=810#msg196668 date=1112459741]
did we get any compensation from the texans for signing greenwood? didn't know boston signed with the 49ers anybody got a link for this?
[/quote]

Any compensation for losing Greenwood wont be until this time next year and as for Boston, he is still available as a FA. I dont think he has signed with anyone yet. The 49ers are looking at him and there is talk of him re-signing with the Phins.
Old 03.04.2005, 08:05 AM
MVP

More Phins news :

1 The Dolphins acquired a potential replacement Friday by signing free agent CB Mario Edwards. Edwards, a five-year NFL veteran from Florida State, signed a one-year contract.

2 Wade Smith will have the chance to become one of the Dolphins' starting offensive linemen again, but it won't be at the position he has played the past two seasons. A source said Smith will be used at center instead of left tackle when the team begins offseason practices later this spring.

3 Backup defensive tackle Dario Romero, a restricted free agent, signed a one-year deal worth $656,000 for next season. Romero, 26, played in 15 games for the Dolphins in 2004, including one start. He registered 35 tackles and 3 ½ sacks, a figure which ranked fourth on the team.

Old 06.04.2005, 08:45 PM

http://www.nfluk.com/usersession.php...;threadid=9681

the above link is to the Dolphins 2nd overall pick of the NFLUK.com consensus mock. I'm sure you'll want togive your 'phins fans opinions' in there.

So far its a 1 horse race, I bet you can guess whos leading the votes by a long way.
Old 17.04.2005, 03:21 PM
MVP

So here is the Dolphins schedule for this season.

What dya think Dolfans? Its looking a tough schedule so I would be happy with an 8-8 season after last years dismal display.
Old 17.04.2005, 07:47 PM
MVP

Yeah it's tough, but with our division it's bound to be.

I'd be happy with 8-8 - would show some significant progress.

Less than a week to find out what we do with the #2. I've read that the Bucs are a potential trading partner for it.
Old 27.04.2005, 06:57 AM
MVP

Rd. No. Player School Pos.
1 2 Ronnie Brown Auburn RB
2 46 Matt Roth Iowa DE
3 70 Channing Crowder Florida LB
4 104 Travis Daniels LSU CB
5 162 Anthony Alabi Texas Christian OT
7 216 Kevin Vickerson Michigan State DT

And here are the undrafted free agents that Miami have signed so far :

Kay-Jay Harris RB W.Virginia, Brock Berlin QB Miami, Mitch Meeuwsen S Oregon State, Josh Davis WR Marshall, Shirdonya Mitchell CB Missouri, LB George Lewis Iowa, LB Lionel Turner LSU,
TE Victor Sesay Missouri, TE Alex Holmes USC, DE Van Brown Northeast Oklahoma, DT Orrin Thompson Duke and DE Matt Faga Hawaii

How did you Dolfans rate this draft ? What dya think of these FA signings? Let us know !!!

I think it was a really good draft for us. We picked up 3 players who should make an immediate impact (Brown, Roth and Crowder). The selection of Brown was a no-brainer really and he should fill the void in the backfield and will go on to be a star in the NFL. He will be the workhorse in Saban's new look offense.

Though Saban was looking to select Corey Webster in the 2nd, the Giants got there first, so he instead went for Roth who was a projected 1st round pick and now Roth will bring his high intensity game into a crowded defensive end spot. It will be interesting to see who starts at DE during the regular season.

Crowder though he has durability and attitude concerns, he was another projected 1st rounder who fell into the Dolphins laps in the third round. His versatility will assist the LB corps and he should replace Greenwood.

I dont know too much about the rest but Alabi is big and can play either OT spot, Daniels is a Saban favourite and he can play any position in the defensive backfield and Vickerson is a big and powerful DT.

Saban's knowledge of the SEC and the college game generally proved decisive for this draft and he selected players he was knowledgable about and this should help us in the next couple of drafts also. He selected players that can adapt and have knowledge of playing several positions and it seems that this is a good draft.

As for the undrafted guys, Harris was the best RB not drafted but the 6-foot, 229-pound Harris struggled with injuries but had three 100-yard rushing games as a senior, including a 154-yard outing in a loss to Florida St. Davis had 306 career catches and is quick, smooth and blocks well but lacks blazing speed. Both of these players were graded as 4th rounders.

Old 27.04.2005, 09:56 AM
MVP

Yeah, I'm well happy with the draft too.

It seems Saban picked purely on value and for a team which has problems in all areas on last year's showing, I think this makes sense.

Main area of concern for me is still the OL, and we didn't address this as a high priority in the draft (but then we have the last 2 years - Smith and Carey). Our OL is pretty youthful, so maybe the new coaches believe there is nothing wrong with the athletic prowess of the guys we have there, just the coaching.

Also no QB selected in the main draft which was a surprise. Be interesting to see in camp how the QB battle between Feeley and Frerotte goes. I'm still really hoping that Feeley comes good next season, but not that confident.

Glad to see that we're concentrating on youth on the D as well, should allay some fears that it was getting too old. With Roth and Crowder and some of the other young guys, we could have a really nasty D in a couple of years time.

Kipps, what's your opinion on the Surtain deal? Personally whilst I'm annoyed we lost a great corner, I think with his contract situation and cap hit the deal made sense for us, especially with Saban wanting to rebuild from the draft.

8-8 next season would be great progress.

By the way where's Lordy gone these days?
Old 29.04.2005, 03:33 PM
MVP

I think that Saban feels the talent is there on the o-line and just needs to be developed thus hence why he made signing Hudson Hauck (former Bolts coach) a priority this offseason. Hudson is considered one of the best line coaches around and he helped transform the Chargers line. Apparently the players are impressed with his teaching and hopefully this should translate into improvements.

My concern is that it seems they dont know who is suited to which position. Carey is being tried at the LT spot competiting with McIntosh which means that either St Clair or McDougle will start at RT. The starting offensive line should be : LT McIntosh, LG James, C McKinney, RG St Clair and RT McDougle but Im still not overly convinced.

As for the QB spot, I guess there was not too much need to draft another QB considering we have 3 signed up but I would of loved to have seen Miami taking McPherson late in the draft.

I was disappointed to see Surtain leave but considering his cap hit and that he was a free agent after this season, it made sense to trade him. We have got Howard and Poole ready to take over though it would be a downturn but Howard did start with the Panthers in their SB season.

No idea where Lordy is either !!
Old 07.05.2005, 09:33 AM
MVP

So Dolfans, what dya think of our offseason so far?