PHINS FANS OPINIONS! - Page 13 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Miami Dolphins

Old 21.01.2004, 02:44 PM
Team Captain

Default Re:PHINS FANS OPINIONS!

of course he was. that's why he should have been fired not only is a poor coach but his draft record is terrible.
as for responsibility it varies from team to team obviously the coach has an input as due the scoats but most teams the General Manager or head of player personnel is resposible for the draft.
Old 21.01.2004, 03:09 PM
MVP

Which is the case now with Rick Spielman as GM being the prime person responsible for the draft.

However with Marino's role and Wanny still in on the process, it all sounds a little bit like a comittee and gaining concensus between these 3 might be a difficult process and could harm any decisions made. I hope this doesn't mean more bad draft picks.

However the Fins have said that for personnel decisions, the buck stops with Spielman, who now reports directly to Marino. I have read that Spielman didn't agree with some of Wannstedt's draft picks (Jamar Fletcher being one) so lets hope that he knows what he's doing when it comes to draft day.
Old 21.01.2004, 03:16 PM
Team Captain

I agree.
Don't know about you but with only 1 pick in the first 2 rounds i feel we have to take a receiver. It' s a pretty deep draft at that position and with pick 20 we should still get a decent player, maybe clayton (theres a name to conjure with)or Woods.
Then we should fix the line through free agency.
Old 21.01.2004, 03:44 PM
MVP

I think we'll go for a receiver in the first round too, we really need someone else to partner Chris Chambers, and bit of competition might get Derrius Thompson performing better.

OL is obviously the other priority, but it'd be nice to think we'll get a QB in too. With Griese on his way, we'll need someone else from somewhere. Could be a 3rd rounder maybe. I can't see Fiedler leaving and I don't think we'll have a chance at Brunell like many are saying (I don't see how he'll fit in with the cap).

I think our QB situation next year will be:
Fiedler starter,
Rosenfels
Rookie - to develop and learn the system.

Means we have another season with Mr Interception at the helm, but at least if the line's upgraded he might have a bit more time to find hopefully a better set of receivers, and with a bit of luck Ricky will be more effective too.

Wishful thinking though...
Old 21.01.2004, 05:07 PM
All Pro

our O line has to be better next year and has to a priority this off season we need to get ricky's avergae up to a healthly number so playaction will work again, it only worked once and that was against the cowboys and we battered em with it.
Old 21.01.2004, 05:10 PM
All Pro

[quote author=gdf13 link=board=1;threadid=1262;start=120#msg24413 date=1074696270]
of course he was. that's why he should have been fired not only is a poor coach but his draft record is terrible.
as for responsibility it varies from team to team obviously the coach has an input as due the scoats but most teams the General Manager or head of player personnel is resposible for the draft.
[/quote]

to be fair drafting isnt easy, drew brees cud of been the next ryan leaf or akili smith u never know with draftpicks becasue the NFL is so much tougher than college football, drafting isnt a science it is almost impossible to get it right all the time. i mean look at Brady he was taken in the 6th round and he is going to his 2nd super bowl.
but i do agree wanny got it wrong once to many
Old 21.01.2004, 05:16 PM
Pro

to get play action to work, you need a good running game.
no matter how good a runner ricky is for us, he is our offense, the opposition can stack the line with 7 or 8 guys just to stuff any runs out. so therefore we need to get a reasonable passing game going.

give the d something other than ricky running to think about, will stop the line being stacked against him

ricky now has more holes, the run becomes effective.

now that the running game is back on track, play action is available.
Old 21.01.2004, 05:20 PM
All Pro

every team starts with the O line its the most important part of a team,if u cant block then u cant pass or run and u cant move the chains and the D is on the field again and doesnt matter how good ya D is you need a O to score points and control the game,miami dont have that and we have paid the price of neglecting the O line. for instance we had rookie Wade Smith blocking Dwight freeney and jevon kearse this season to name just two good pas rushers we faced this season, and guess what we lost both those games.
Old 21.01.2004, 10:56 PM
MVP

[quote author=Lordy link=board=1;threadid=1262;start=120#msg24493 date=1074705613]
every team starts with the O line its the most important part of a team,if u cant block then u cant pass or run and u cant move the chains and the D is on the field again and doesnt matter how good ya D is you need a O to score points and control the game,miami dont have that and we have paid the price of neglecting the O line. for instance we had rookie Wade Smith blocking Dwight freeney and jevon kearse this season to name just two good pas rushers we faced this season, and guess what we lost both those games.
[/quote]

Yeah thats true but Wade Smith was not supposed to be the LT starter for the season. It was the teams inability to sign a veteran LT that forced Smith into the lineup before he was ready. You also have to bear in mind theat our best lineman (Mark Dixon) missed a vast majority of the season.

Also look for current centre Tim Ruddy to leave this offseason, and he will probably be replaced by Seth McKinney. Jamie Nails will probably get another shot as the starting left guard. Todd Perry (the RG) should be replaced as soon as possible. Look for the Dolphins to sign either a veteran like Adam Timmerman or a rookie like Vernon Carey of the university of Miami.
Old 21.01.2004, 11:03 PM
MVP

[quote author=Duper85 link=board=1;threadid=1262;start=120#msg24427 date=1074697773]
Which is the case now with Rick Spielman as GM being the prime person responsible for the draft.

However with Marino's role and Wanny still in on the process, it all sounds a little bit like a comittee and gaining concensus between these 3 might be a difficult process and could harm any decisions made. I hope this doesn't mean more bad draft picks.

However the Fins have said that for personnel decisions, the buck stops with Spielman, who now reports directly to Marino. I have read that Spielman didn't agree with some of Wannstedt's draft picks (Jamar Fletcher being one) so lets hope that he knows what he's doing when it comes to draft day.
[/quote]

The important thing now is that Speilman has the final say over who the Dolphins draft. Surely this is an improvement over Wanny's choices. If Speilman was in charge of last years draft then we would have WR Anquin Boldin on our roster.

It will be interesting to see that if the Fins fail next season, will Speilman give Wannstedt the sack ?? Wannstedt brought him over to the Dolphins as they both worked for the Bears at the time.