Old 10.02.2009, 10:03 AM
All Pro

It's not as bad as people think. I still want WR in 1st but thats just me
Old 10.02.2009, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea View Post
It's not as bad as people think. I still want WR in 1st but thats just me
If we were picking high and Crabtree was available I would take a receiver in a heartbeeat but assuming he doesn't run the 40 in 20 minutes it's safe to assume that won't be happening. That leaves guys like Maclin, Hayward-Bey or Harvin as receivers with a perceived first round grade. I would rule out Harvin and Maclin by virtue of them being too small given what we already have it does not add anything to our offence for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't rule out Hayward-Bey but I'm not convinced he is worth taking so high.

As I've said many times already, I want us to draft Clint Sintum. I don't see the point in drafting a DE because it is our strongest unit player for player. Ogunleye will recover his form when Harris does. Harris being healthy would improve the play of the entire line. However, given that we blitzed more than any other NFL team last season (albeit run blitzed Mike brown 90% of the time) and we failed to get pressure it suggests we could use someone who can get pressure from another position. Moreover, as much as we are 'cover-2' I don't think we can expect the front 4 to be the only aspect of the team to generate pressure. By taking a pass rusher at linebacker we create good flexibility in our play calling and we help the secondary.

Beyond that I want to see us take Duke Robinson. I think he'll be an elite guard.
Old 10.02.2009, 12:35 PM
All Pro

Our corners did look worse than they are because of zero pressure and poor safety play; corner should not be a priority.

Pressure comes simply from mismatched players, two outstanding D-linemen with two average players lined up with them can be a dominant line. An over all average line needs help from and outstanding pass rusher at LB or if you need to bring an outstanding safety the rest of the secondary needs to be good enough in single coverage.

As I said not long ago one or two good upgrades at our weakest positions can make our D excellent again... still... I thought that the year we wasted money on Archaleta too (shudder).
Old 10.02.2009, 02:41 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by olig23 View Post
If we were picking high and Crabtree was available I would take a receiver in a heartbeeat but assuming he doesn't run the 40 in 20 minutes it's safe to assume that won't be happening. That leaves guys like Maclin, Hayward-Bey or Harvin as receivers with a perceived first round grade. I would rule out Harvin and Maclin by virtue of them being too small given what we already have it does not add anything to our offence for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't rule out Hayward-Bey but I'm not convinced he is worth taking so high.

As I've said many times already, I want us to draft Clint Sintum. I don't see the point in drafting a DE because it is our strongest unit player for player. Ogunleye will recover his form when Harris does. Harris being healthy would improve the play of the entire line. However, given that we blitzed more than any other NFL team last season (albeit run blitzed Mike brown 90% of the time) and we failed to get pressure it suggests we could use someone who can get pressure from another position. Moreover, as much as we are 'cover-2' I don't think we can expect the front 4 to be the only aspect of the team to generate pressure. By taking a pass rusher at linebacker we create good flexibility in our play calling and we help the secondary.

Beyond that I want to see us take Duke Robinson. I think he'll be an elite guard.
Agree mostly but we need a big tough receiver a small one won't do much for this team.

The fact that we have got Marinelli as our Dline coach does point to us not going DE in the first, i think Lovie believes he can sort out the unit, also the value may not be there which, to me, looks like the trend for most of our needs.

I must admit i haven't really seen Sintum play so can't really say if i want him or not but i have little problem with having a rush LB
Old 10.02.2009, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatme View Post
Agree mostly but we need a big tough receiver a small one won't do much for this team.

The fact that we have got Marinelli as our Dline coach does point to us not going DE in the first, i think Lovie believes he can sort out the unit, also the value may not be there which, to me, looks like the trend for most of our needs.

I must admit i haven't really seen Sintum play so can't really say if i want him or not but i have little problem with having a rush LB
I actually think getting Marinelli was a massive coup to be honest. I know he'll always be associated with the 0-16 Lions but he really did a good job as Bucs line coach and, I thought, did a good job with the Lions D-line. There is no way guys like White and Devries should be getting 8 sacks.

The main reason I like the appointment is because it will help Harris. The under tackle getting pressure is the key to the cover-2 working (Warren Sapp, Jovan Haye) by forcing the QB to go short (the aim of the system) due to the collapse of the pocket, and it forces the Qb to move towards the ends who get more sacks accordingly (hence I think Ogun and Brown are ok) and Marinelli has proven he can do that. Even if Harris gets banged up Idonije has the makings of a real good under tackle.

I guess at the end of the day my Sintum mission is entirely futile, there is no way in hell Lovie drafts a DE sized LB. I think he was taken into a room and Manchurian Candidate-style brainwashed into the cover-2 ruling all! He got rid of Rivera too for that reason I felt. I think he'll stick with Roach. Nevertheless, I think Sintum is going to be a top player and would be a really clever pick.

In reality I just hope we don't ignore Duke Robinson, however my suspicion is we end up with Heyward-Bey or perhaps a corner, maybe Vonte Davis if he still is on the board.
Old 11.02.2009, 01:38 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by olig23 View Post
I actually think getting Marinelli was a massive coup to be honest. I know he'll always be associated with the 0-16 Lions but he really did a good job as Bucs line coach and, I thought, did a good job with the Lions D-line. There is no way guys like White and Devries should be getting 8 sacks.

The main reason I like the appointment is because it will help Harris. The under tackle getting pressure is the key to the cover-2 working (Warren Sapp, Jovan Haye) by forcing the QB to go short (the aim of the system) due to the collapse of the pocket, and it forces the Qb to move towards the ends who get more sacks accordingly (hence I think Ogun and Brown are ok) and Marinelli has proven he can do that. Even if Harris gets banged up Idonije has the makings of a real good under tackle.

I guess at the end of the day my Sintum mission is entirely futile, there is no way in hell Lovie drafts a DE sized LB. I think he was taken into a room and Manchurian Candidate-style brainwashed into the cover-2 ruling all! He got rid of Rivera too for that reason I felt. I think he'll stick with Roach. Nevertheless, I think Sintum is going to be a top player and would be a really clever pick.

In reality I just hope we don't ignore Duke Robinson, however my suspicion is we end up with Heyward-Bey or perhaps a corner, maybe Vonte Davis if he still is on the board.
Yeah, i am really expecting big things from Harris. If Marinelli and Sapp can't improve Harris then nobody can. Idonije is a real a good player and somebody we need to hold onto.

Lovie is a bit unflexable and if definitely his biggest flaw but our entire coaching staff seems to lack some inventiveness sadly.

Tbh, i have gone off DHB as a first round pick, he is a guy who needs alot of tweaking, huge ceiling though, Nicks or Britt are better choices mind.

Didn't Duke have a poor senior bowl or is my memory lying to me, i still like the guy but he doesn't seem like a first round pick and will prob be gone by our second.
Old 11.02.2009, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatme View Post
Yeah, i am really expecting big things from Harris. If Marinelli and Sapp can't improve Harris then nobody can. Idonije is a real a good player and somebody we need to hold onto.

Lovie is a bit unflexable and if definitely his biggest flaw but our entire coaching staff seems to lack some inventiveness sadly.

Tbh, i have gone off DHB as a first round pick, he is a guy who needs alot of tweaking, huge ceiling though, Nicks or Britt are better choices mind.

Didn't Duke have a poor senior bowl or is my memory lying to me, i still like the guy but he doesn't seem like a first round pick and will prob be gone by our second.
I'm not sure to be honest regarding the Senior Bowl I didn't watch it. However, I think based on what I have seen of him he looks a very good prospect and that has only been backed up by the reports I have read about him. Usually a guard with a first round grade is a pretty safe bet as it takes a lot to get first round consideration as a guard. I like his raw power and I think it would be a nice complement to Williams' finesse and gives us a lot of potential on the left side of our line which has worked for teams like Seattle and Minnesota. I am not too worried about the Senior Bowl or what he does in the combine I just think he has the most overall ability for the position by some distance.

Admittedly, a lot depends on how Williams works out but my opinion of him is no different from last year it is like having a rookie.
Old 13.02.2009, 09:40 PM
All Pro

Booker cut

Booker finishes his Bears career tied with Curtis Conway for third in Bears history with 329 receptions, trailing only Walter Payton (492) and Johnny Morris (356).
Old 14.02.2009, 02:01 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea View Post
Booker cut

Booker finishes his Bears career tied with Curtis Conway for third in Bears history with 329 receptions, trailing only Walter Payton (492) and Johnny Morris (356).

hi mate,I have to admit he was well pass his sell by date when he came to us....tho I will be sad to see him go. Rummer has it that we will keep Lloyd,Bennett and Hester and pick up another's in the draft and one in FA.....please not TO...
Old 15.02.2009, 02:43 PM
All Pro

Rumour has it we're looking into getting Tory Holt.