Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread - Page 250 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 16.02.2009, 03:52 PM
All Pro

Urlacher for Boldin?? when the NFL become Madden?? LOL
Old 17.02.2009, 04:53 PM
All Pro

Losing Booker wont be hard to peplace but we must find a good FA or pick at WR for sure now we need at least 1 go to guy unlike other temas who have 2-3 play makers...it will open up the run and help our below par QB's....
Old 18.02.2009, 01:14 AM
All Pro

I wont us to use FA more,but I'm not holding my breath..
Old 18.02.2009, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiBear View Post
I wont us to use FA more,but I'm not holding my breath..
I agree but tentatively. Chicago has been fairly stable in recent seasons we've pretty much always been competitive in the division and a big part of that is Angelo and Lovie being frugal with their cap space and making smart decisions more often than not with free agents. I think the key is to find guys who are not necessarily big names that will work in our system. That is why I like guys like Nate Washington, Reggie Williams and Brandon Jones because while none are individual stars I feel they could help improve our receiving options and all have strengths that we could use. Orton does a good job of spreading the ball around and we already have the 'x factor' receiver in Hester we just need guys who can come in and be consistent.
Old 18.02.2009, 10:56 AM
All Pro

Speculations about Garcia.

Garcia isn't a bad player to pick up- he isn't a trouble maker; however if he doesn't start he uses the press to whine about it, that will have a knock on effect in the dressing room. I say no thank you.

Your thoughts.
Old 18.02.2009, 11:41 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by payton3434 View Post
Speculations about Garcia.

Garcia isn't a bad player to pick up- he isn't a trouble maker; however if he doesn't start he uses the press to whine about it, that will have a knock on effect in the dressing room. I say no thank you.

Your thoughts.

He turns 39 on Feb. 24...........thats my thought.

We all know we need a back up for Orton,so why dont we just keep Grossman,we know what we have and he will be cheap....
Old 18.02.2009, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Not only that he is useless outside of a west-coast system. He requires agile blockers who are good at improvising because he is forever taking off without having gone through his reads. He is a system guy and I certainly don't want him in Chicago. I agree that we need a backup so to that end I have no problem hanging onto Grossman or giving Simms a go at proving he is healthy.
Old 18.02.2009, 11:57 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by olig23 View Post
or giving Simms a go at proving he is healthy.
you just might get your wish....

]By Vaughn McClure | Tribune reporter
February 18, 2009

Signs pointed toward Chris Simms joining the Bears six years ago.

Simms, then a hot quarterback prospect at Texas, had extended discussions with Bears general manager Jerry Angelo at both the Senior Bowl and NFL scouting combine. The Bears needed a quarterback.

"Jerry Angelo was very easy to talk to," Simms said. "He was always very respectful of my play in college, of my ability. And I have a great respect for him."

The marriage never occurred because the Bears drafted Rex Grossman in the first round while Simms ended up a third-round pick of Tampa Bay. But Simms thinks a union between him and the Bears now isn't such a farfetched idea despite speculation that he favors re-signing with his current team, Tennessee.

"Who wouldn't be interested or thinking about the Chicago Bears?" Simms posed. "For a guy like myself who has been around football a long time and loves tradition and all the stuff that comes with a great NFL franchise, the Bears are at the top of the list with the Green Bay Packers, the New York Giants, the Dallas Cowboys. They are right in that storied-franchise mix."

Behind closed doors, Angelo probably would offer an equal amount of praise for Simms, a player the Bears have maintained interest in over the years. The 28-year-old Simms, who signed a one-year deal with Tennessee last season, will be free to court when free agency starts Feb. 27.

Simms has expressed an interest in sticking with the Titans, and the Titans have talked about re-signing the unrestricted free-agent. But with Kerry Collins wanting to return as the starter and Vince Young still in the mix, Simms' status remains uncertain.

One aspect is clear: Simms is well aware of the quarterback situation in Chicago.

"Of course things are different with Rex out of the picture," he said. "We'll just see where this free agency takes me from here. I have a great deal of respect for Kyle Orton. I thought he played tremendous last year. I've always been impressed with him as a player and as a person."

Skeptics would say there is little reason to be overly enthused about Simms. He has played in just 19 games through five seasons, completing 291 of 492 passes for 3,087 yards, with 12 touchdowns and 17 interceptions. He suffered a ruptured spleen in Tampa Bay's third game of the 2006 season and has played in just one regular-season game since.

"It was a life-threatening injury and an injury only a few people know about as far as how to rehab it," Simms said. "I probably wasted a year of my life just because I didn't get a whole lot of answers as far as what to do to make myself better.

"As far as me having to prove myself, of course I will. I haven't played in a while, but I'm fully confident in my ability. The biggest thing for me is to just get back out there and play."

The left-handed Simms appears to be valued. Last year the Cowboys inquired about making a trade for him but it never materialized. Simms also worked out for the Baltimore Ravens before joining the Titans.

Although the Bears are likely to start Orton next season, Angelo said the team would consider all options to stabilize the position. The signing of former Northwestern star Brett Basanez probably did not mark the end of the Bears' quarterback pursuit. If Simms becomes available at the end of the month, he might be too tempting to pass up.

"Whoever brings me in," Simms said, "they're not going to just bring me in and say, 'OK, we signed you. You're the starter." I know the job isn't going to be just given to me.

"I just want to go somewhere where, at the very least, I'm the backup. And if I get a chance to compete [for starter], of course, who wouldn't relish that opportunity?"
Old 18.02.2009, 12:17 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiBear View Post
you just might get your wish....

]

Skeptics would say there is little reason to be overly enthused about Simms. He has played in just 19 games through five seasons, completing 291 of 492 passes for 3,087 yards, with 12 touchdowns and 17 interceptions. He suffered a ruptured spleen in Tampa Bay's third game of the 2006 season and has played in just one regular-season game since.
I am one of those sceptics. Price dependant naturally....
Old 18.02.2009, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

I don't see how that could be a bad move. Simms won't cost a lot compared to other free agents and he has got some ability. At the end of the day Grossman has lost any fan support and his confidence is shot. Personally, I think there is a good QB in him and I hope he goes on and proves that elsewhere. however, I feel that Simms would give Chicago fans a clean slate and as a backup he has time to show the coaches what he can do. It's not going to cost much so I don't see the harm in letting him come in and have a go.